What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

callmack1

Staff member
The only way to end NRL's biggest headache: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...the-mole/9237d828-cb7d-48c1-a4b7-57b5c3df8dd8

Peter V'Landys Super Bowl proposal for Grand Final a winner, writes Mark Levy: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/mark-l...-stadium/a269d3fc-168c-4181-a655-ec762b09004e

Also, some good news from Fox Sports,

SOUTHS CLOSE TO LOCKING UP YOUNG GUN AMID STAR TRIO TALKS

The Rabbitohs are close to locking up halfback Lachlan Ilias on an extension amid their battle to retain spine stars Latrell Mitchell, Damien Cook and Cody Walker.

Ilias is signed until the end of 2023, but like Cook, Mitchell and Walker is free to negotiate with NRL rivals from November 1.

Ilias is the other member of the star-studded Souths spine and Brent Read revealed on Triple M that he is close to inking an extension with the club.

“I expect a decision on his future this week,” Read said on Triple M.

“The club is just waiting for Braith Anasta his manager and they are expecting Braith to come back to them this week.

“They have made an offer to him for a contract extension. I expect Lachlan Ilias will stay.

“They have been talking to him and Braith for a while about extending his deal.

“He has got one year left.

“They are desperate to keep him, but they are juggling a little bit because Damien Cook, Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker are all off-contract at the end of next year.

“I think they think they can keep them all.”

The 22-year-old has scored five tries in 21 games for Souths since his debut in 2021.

callmack1

Staff member
A couple of articles from Zero Tackle,

Rabbitohs winger setting sights on history, World Cup with fine form

The unbelievable try-scoring feats of South Sydney Rabbitohs winger Alex Johnston haven’t gone unnoticed by his teammates, with Latrell Mitchell calling Johnston “the best I’ve ever seen”.

Johnston is charging towards a slice of history with his rampant try-scoring form, and he’s already seven four-pointers ahead of his nearest rival in 2022.

With just three more tries between now and the end of the Rabbitohs’ season, the prolific winger could become the first player in history to score 30 tries in consecutive seasons, and Mitchell is happy to sing Johnston’s praises.

“He’s No.1, the best (finisher) I’ve ever seen,” Mitchell told AAP.

“Just for the smarts he has, the intelligence to stay in or pick his time.

“He has one moment here or there – everyone does – but nine out of 10 times he makes the right decision.”

Johnston has 163 NRL tries to his name in just 187 games, putting him in prime position to break – and go beyond – the record of Ken Irvine, who scored 212 tries in 236 appearances.

Provided he can stay free of injury, at only 27 years of age, Johnston’s current scoring rate would take him well past Irvine’s mark - a number that seemed unattainable not so long ago.

“It’s very surreal to even think about at the moment,” Johnston told AAP.

“I still feel so young, like I just started my career.”

“It would be such an honour if (the record) happens one day, touch wood. I don’t know what I’d do, it’s pretty special.”

Johnston’s form has also seen an increase in calls for him to be part of Mal Meninga’s Kangaroos side for the World Cup, adding to his sole appearance in the green and gold all the way back in 2015.

With a number of State of Origin wingers pledging their international allegiance elsewhere, it’s hard to believe that Johnston wouldn’t at the very least be a consideration.

“I’d put him in the Australian side, he deserves it,” said Mitchell.

"Absolute disgrace": Jai Arrow blasts council after fatal dog decision

South Sydney Rabbitohs star Jai Arrow has expressed his anger at local council after it was revealed his dog Thor was euthanised last week, without the back-rower being afforded the chance to say goodbye or appeal the decision.

Arrow’s dog Thor was involved in an attack on an 11-year-old Greyhound on the Central Coast last month, leaving the greyhound with extensive injuries. She could not be saved.

It was also revealed that Thor had already been declared a dangerous dog by Waverley Council in Sydney, meaning the dog was required to be restrained with a muzzle and leash. The council also applied a condition that Arrow must notify them if the dog will be leaving the local government area.

Although Arrow said he advised Central Coast council that Thor would be relocated, Waverley council claimed it had not been notified at the time of the attack.

Thor had previously attacked a miniature schnauzer on Bronte Beach in April, leaving the owner with a $10,000 bill. At the time, Thor was being walked by Arrow’s Rabbitohs teammate Liam Knight. Arrow was not present at either incident.

But Arrow’s legal team have responded angrily after their plan to appeal the decision was undone by the council’s sudden decision to euthanise Thor – a decision they did not advise Arrow or his team about until after the fact.

“They terminate the dog on Friday and then at 4.45pm send me an email saying they would be doing it – yet they already had,” Arrow’s lawyer Paul McGirr told The Daily Telegraph.

“We were looking to appeal the decision of the council and throughout the process we asked them not to do anything.

“What they’ve done is terminate the dog and then sent the email.”

Arrow also expressed his anger at the decision.

“I think it’s an absolute disgrace that they couldn’t even notify me and at least give me (a chance) to go and say goodbye to him,” Arrow told Channel 9.

callmack1

Staff member

Sixteen minutes of shame: The Rabbitoh who shares Paulo’s pain​

South Sydney winger Steve Mavin certainly felt sympathy for Jaxson Paulo after an error-riddled night against Penrith last week that led to an abundance of awful abuse and death threats on social media.
Many Rabbitohs fans will recall the day Mavin made three errors that led to three Canberra tries in a sudden-death semi-final in 1987.

Coach George Piggins hooked Mavin after 16 minutes, only for the then 19-year-old to spit the dummy and leave the Sydney Cricket Ground at half-time to drown his sorrows at the Cauliflower Hotel.

Social media did not exist back then, but Mavin told the Herald some narky fans still reminded him of his horrendous game, but it was not the end of his first-grade career, just as the other night would not spell the end for Paulo in the NRL.

“I feel for Jaxson because I’ve been in his shoes,” Mavin said. “We were playing at the SCG, Peter Jackson kicked me the ball and I dropped it at the start. He kicked it to me a couple of more times, I collided with David Cruickshank and they scored again, then I had a ball bounce off my legs to Chris O’Sullivan and the Raiders scored a third try.

“Coach Piggins replaced me. We were only 16 minutes into the game. He put Mark Ross on in my place.

Steve Mavin can relate to Jaxson Paulo’s tough day in the office.

Steve Mavin can relate to Jaxson Paulo’s tough day in the office.CREDIT:GETTY/FAIRFAX MEDIA

“Being a 19-year-old bloke, I spat the dummy and left the ground. I was playing with the Alexandria Rovers at the time, and our local was the Cauliflower Hotel. I called in there for a beer, and one of the boys said, ‘What are you doing here, the game is still on’.
“There was no social media back then when those disgusting trolls could say what they want to say.

“You understand supporters get disappointed. I helped Souths get eliminated that year. There’s certainly no place for people bagging him. I still get the occasional smart-arse saying something to me. If it makes them feel better, go ahead.

“I have the benefit of having an extra 30 years behind me, but it’s still fresh for Jaxson.”

Jaxson Paulo was interviewed by the NRL Integrity Unit on Friday about the stunning abuse he received on social media.

Jaxson Paulo was interviewed by the NRL Integrity Unit on Friday about the stunning abuse he received on social media.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS

Mavin went on to spend several more seasons in the top flight, including the 1989 minor premiership year for the Bunnies. He played Canberra again and did a handy job stopping Mal Meninga.

“Jaxson should know it won’t be the end of the world,” said Mavin, who was at Redfern on Monday where he now helps run the Rabbitohs Fan TV.

“He’s played 40-odd NRL games and nearly scored in every second game. He’s a good footballer with a lot of good footy ahead of him.”

Paulo bombed two tries and dropped the ball twice, including a Sean O’Sullivan kick in the final two minutes that ultimately led to Liam Martin scoring the match-winner for the Panthers.

The Herald revealed on Friday Paulo had been subjected to online death threats, and Souths were prepared to support him involving police to hunt down the culprits.

Souths superstar Cody Walker said of the Paulo attacks: “It’s disgusting. It’s just terrible someone feels the need to say those things. At the end of the day, he’s human. We all make mistakes. There’s not one person in the world that is perfect and doesn’t make some sort of mistake.”

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

'I don't think we should panic about it': NRL issues response to weekend of blowouts

Over the weekend, you could be forgiven for thinking you were suffering from a strange case of déjà vu. Heavyweight teams were running in tries with relative ease, while the cellar-dwellers simply had no answers. By half-time, most of the games had already been decided. Suddenly, you were back in 2021 all over again sans Tom Trbojevic wreaking havoc down a left-edge.

As a result of the blowouts - the Roosters inflicted a record defeat on the Tigers, the Storm put 60 on the Broncos and four other teams notched 40 points or more against their opponents - talk has turned to the lack of competitiveness in the NRL. But is there a problem or was this round an anomaly at the business end of the season?

Have blowout scores become an issue in the NRL?

The head of football Graham Annesley checked in for his weekly media briefing via video link. Usually, he addresses the major on-field talking points from the previous round of action relating to refereeing decisions. Instead, he decided to discuss the latest hot topic in the game. Namely, the blowouts.

Armed with facts and figures from the last three seasons, Annesley set out putting context around the year that has been so far.

Less than half the games (46%) this campaign have been decided by 12 points or less. This figure is an improvement on last year’s 40%, but still less than what it was in 2020 (53%).

The average game margin currently sits at 16 points per game, which is an improvement on last year when it was 18 points.

Although, after last weekend’s round of cricket scores, and with two weeks still remaining in the competition, that margin may still become inflated.

Annesley then went on to highlight how entering into the final 15 minutes of a contest, the game is in the balance more than it has ever been recently.

This season, the average margin at the 65th minute has been 11.8 points, whereas it was 16.3 in the infamously lopsided 2021 season. Two years ago, it sat at 13 points.

“At that 65th minute, on average, teams are still within two converted tries, which in 15 minutes is very much doable if you’re trying to get back into a game and win it,” Annesley said.

“It is a good indicator of the competitiveness of games across the board.”

Amongst the deluge of tries over the weekend, it’s easy to forget about what happened on Thursday night.

The Rabbitohs and the Panthers produced one of the best games of the season in what was an early teaser for a finals series which is shaping up as one of the most entertaining and competitive in memory.

Six teams currently look capable of challenging Penrith for the premiership, with every side outside of the current top four boasting an enviable attack.

This includes try-scoring machine Alex Johnston, the man who is leading the assist tally in Mitch Moses and superstars like Latrell Mitchell and James Tedesco.

What is the reason for lopsided score lines in the NRL?

Games late in the season have traditionally been the scene for skewed score lines in the NRL. The old adage of a team ‘being on the beach’ has circulated in sporting circles for years for this reason.

A team that has everything still to play for against a team that is counting down the days until they can go on holiday is bound to produce lopsided matches.

“Some of the teams that are in the eight and are going to be playing finals football, they really put their foot on the gas,” Annesley said.

“They tried to send a message to other teams in the competition that they’re in form, playing well and they’re going to be a threat in the finals.

“That’s contributed to some of those score lines, so I don’t think we should panic about it.”

But the issue of blowouts is firmly on the agenda again after a recording-breaking weekend saw six teams score 40 points, during a round which became the highest-scoring in NRL history.

Annesley noted how the trend of more points being scored has contributed to bigger margins.

“We’re still seeing blowouts and we’re getting big scores,” he said.

“One of the reasons we’ve seen that is some of the changes that have been made to the game in recent years.

“These were to make the game more attractive, free-flowing and more entertaining- that does come with points. So, we will see some more lopsided scores when we’re seeing a lot more points scored.

“The days of games being decided at 8-6 or 6-0…we don’t see many of those games these days.

“Most of our games get up into the 20 or so point margin, for not only the winning team but for the team that loses as well.

“With that increase in entertainment, movement and less stoppages- we are seeing more points scored and that means margins may get wider.”

In 2020, the average amount of points scored during a game sat at 41.8. During the past two seasons this has climbed slightly, with it currently sitting at 43.1 points per game this year.

The past two seasons have undoubtedly seen a rise in blowouts though, as evidenced by the NRL presenting the figures for how many games have been decided by 19 points or more.

In 2020, 28% of the fixtures ended with such a margin. However, that has risen considerably with it currently sitting at 39% of games so far this campaign.

“It’s up on 2020 considerably,” Annesley admitted. “But it’s marginally down on last year (41%).

“It’s better to have that figure heading in the 2020 direction than where we were.

“We’re in a slightly better position than we were last year in terms of games with those blowout score lines.

“We’re seeing games that are being more competitive for longer, before those games do blow out.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m not for a moment suggesting we wouldn’t like to see even more games competitive for longer and we would certainly like to see less games blowing out.

“But it is sport- it’s the nature of sport.”

Rabbits20

Immortal
Another Trell article what a shock they can’t get through their day without one, boring…… nothing to see move on he’s not going anywhere! All clickbait as Trell sells papers!

Agree mate I’m not worried at all.

Runrabbit14

Juniors
So disappointing this is playing out in the media just 2 weeks before the finals and we are not guaranteed in the 8.

Latrell had the chance to knock it on the head but engaged Bennett to keep it bubbling away.

We totally stuffed up the Sualli signing when we thought it was a done deal - never forget the photos and headlines that we had him signed.

callmack1

Staff member
Wayne's $4m masterplan to land a marquee man.. and why Anasta isn't buying it: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/5a87735cc816bde321afb3449f8425c6

Great response from the club!

Listen to the way Trell talks about Souths in the video in that article, he ain't going nowhere. As he says, he's 'a Rabbitoh through and through.'

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Players' sacrifice to be rewarded with back-pay bonanza

NRL players are set for a significant payday, with the NRL set to back-pay 78 per cent of their sacrificed salaries from the past three seasons.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that the sum contains a large amount of the salaries that players sacrificed to keep the game afloat during the uncertainty of Covid.

Players gave up 20 per cent of their salaries to keep the competition afloat in 2020, and have also forfeited six per cent of their pay over the past two seasons. Now some of the game’s biggest stars could receive a sum in excess of $350,000, with Origin players also set to receive $5,000 for every game played since the 2020 series.

RLPA general president and Queensland Origin captain Daly Cherry-Evans confirmed that the majority of outstanding funds from the past few years would land in players’ bank accounts over the coming weeks.

Cherry-Evans sacrificed nearly $400,000 in payments over the past three years, but is likely to recoup at least $300,000, plus another $45,000 for featuring in every Origin game over that period.

“At the time everyone was doing the best thing for the game,” Cherry-Evans said.

“We didn’t think we’d get any money back, so to get back any of this, let alone the majority of the money, is really pleasing.

“It’s a nice contribution to give back to people and say thank you for the last few years.”

While it’s great news for the majority of players, Cherry-Evans also expressed frustration that some off-contract players had been left in a lurch and were struggling for job security as the NRL and RLPA negotiate future salary cap conditions.

“I’d hate to be in that position, to be off-contract (with) the uncertainty around the salary cap and roster numbers – we’re talking about blokes’ livelihoods here.

“These are working conditions that remain unclear for people who could potentially be starting a new job in two months’ time. We owe it to those people in limbo to get this sorted.

Latest posts