What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Rabbits20

Immortal
BUNNIES BEGIN SKIPPER SEARCH

Cameron Murray is the frontrunner to take over the Rabbitohs captaincy following Adam Reynolds’ exit, according toThe Daily Telegraph.

Superstars Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker and Damien Cook are all understood to be in the mix too — but Murray has his nose in front.

Despite being just 23-years old, Murray has already played 103 NRL games for the Bunnies and has represented both New South Wales and Australia.

He was one of South Sydney’s best and most consistent players in 2021 and has never stepped a foot wrong off the field.

There had been rumours suggesting new coach Jason Demetriou would appoint co-captains, howeverthe Telegraph claims that will not be the case.

It’s understood many people at the club see Murray as the right fit because he could lead the Rabbitohs for the next decade.

The Bunnies’ senior playing group return to training on December 17, where Demetriou will speak with those in the running for the role before announcing the new captain in January.

Besides his representative honours, Murray boasts a pretty fitting resume.

The local junior has captained every South Sydney side coming up through the junior grades and his father, Corey, played for the club during the 1990s.

Source Daily Telegraph

handyman2190

Bench
Many of the articles being posted on this thread are not rumours or signings and should be put on the gossip thread, brothers, i know there isnt much rabbitoh news but please dont post stuff not relevant, eg acor hotels,souths cares etc

Rabbits20

Immortal
Many of the articles being posted on this thread are not rumours or signings and should be put on the gossip thread, brothers, i know there isnt much rabbitoh news but please dont post stuff not relevant, eg acor hotels,souths cares etc
It’s also a news thread mate not just signings it says it in the thread name.

I don’t see what’s wrong with posting Souths Cares stuff we should all take an interest in what the club is doing helping the less fortunate and the name change to where we are playing relates to us also.

callmack1

Staff member
Bully rings the bell vs Cody's Grand Final Fend: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/11/29/bully-rings-the-bell-vs-codys-grand-final-fend/

Gallen eyes money-spinning Burgess fight as ex-NRL star considers boxing debut: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/32f155df7d9f359adfd551208e439ba3

From Zero Tackle,

All Stars set to find new home as Pre-Season takes shape

After a one-year hiatus, the NRL All Stars match will make its return to the pre-season in 2022, and in a new location.

The NRL have made no secret of their desire for the match to continue as a focal point of the pre-season, even managing to play it in 2021 despite the reduced nature of the pre-season after the coronavirus enforced shutdown of the 2020 season saw NRL played well into the Spring.

The game has previously been held predominantly on the Gold Coast, but has also had one-off appearances in Melbourne, Newcastle, Townsville and Sydney.

The match, which was previously held as the Indigenous team against an NRL or world team, was relaunched with great success under the current model, and after a season which starved fans of action in Sydney, that's exactly where the NRL are planning to play the 2022 instalment.

The Daily Telegraph report that the clash will be played on Saturday, February 12, making it the first official game of the pre-season (a week before clubs will begin official trials), with it to be held in Sydney at CommBank Stadium.

The Parramatta venue has quickly risen as the best NRL venue in the city, and while the new Sydney Football Stadium is likely to challenge it, the Moore Park venue won't be open until the end of the season.

It's understood the NRL are confident of a sell out crowd for the pre-season fixture.

The last clash, in 2020, saw the teams tie at ten points a piece in Townsville, while the previous two encounters between the Indigenous and Maori teams were split at one a piece.

The All-Stars match is one of the key events of the pre-season, alongside the NRL Nines.

It's unclear if they will be able to return for the 2022 season at this stage however, with the event receiving generally mixed reviews from clubs, with some ensuring plenty of stars don't make the trip.

The last installment of the Nines was in 2020 in Perth, with the North Queensland Cowboys taking home the title, before it was cancelled in 2021 due to the shortened pre-season.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Smith detailed how Robinson and the Roosters won him over on the YKTR Sports podcast.

“It was actually mind blowing,” Smith said.

“I can’t explain it … like I went and golfed with Jared, Aubo and Friendy, and Nick Politis was ringing them. He is over in LA on a business trip at the moment and he is ringing them up just to see how they are.

“And they spoke with so much passion about the club … I think the best thing about the Roosters, bro, they are about your life, not your footy.

Like, they want you to be set for life. They don’t want you to walk away with nothing from rugby league. They just pushed that. They can tell you how they are going to help you with life …

“I was just looking at the Roosters jersey … going, ‘I want to win a premiership in that jersey.’”

The comments have left Storm coach Craig Bellamy, chairman Matt Tripp and head of football Frank Ponissi livid, according to the Herald.

It’s understood Melbourne officials believed they’d be given the chance to counter-offer the Roosters, but they then learned of Smith’s decision on Monday.

Melbourne supported Smith during the white-powder scandal last month and only handed him a suspended fine.

The club feels the support and respect shown to him during a difficult time has not been returned.

The Storm could release Smith from the final year of his contract and let him join the Roosters immediately. However, it’s unclear whether the Roosters have the salary cap space to accommodate him immediately.

This is all pure vomit if you ask me.