What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

blacksafake

First Grade
See a few team list for next year already, so I thought I would just add a little bit myself with some extra data and I will focus only on our back 5 and edge forwards (as they stand right now).

Fullback
Tyrell Sloan - 19 yrs old, 185cm 84kg's - he is still 'growing' and with a full pre-season, I expect him to add another 5 or so kilos. Runs like a gazelle and will be a weapon next year.

Wings:
1. Mat Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 96kg's - like Sloan another who will add some muscle in the pre-season. I think he will be one the starting wingers.
2. Mika Ravalawa - 23yrs old, 184cm 93kg (mmm yeah right) - the 'beast' just has to fix his tackle style in the off-season. Absolute weapon.

Centres:
1. Zac Lomax - 22yrs old, 190cm 94kg's - goal kicker, let's hope he can fix his injuries this off-season and have a fully fit 2022. Definite aerial target.
2. Moses Suli - 23yrs old, 189cm 109kg's - when he's on, he's just about unstoppable.

These are our back 5. Notice the ages, with the oldest being Rava who will turn 24 next month. Good size about them. Maybe lack a really tall winger, but I'm happy with the 2 listed here.

A couple of back-ups - Cody Ramsey - 21yrs old, 185cm 82kg's - probably needs some more bulk, let's see what they can do with him in the off and pre-season. Max Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 98kg's - shame he suffered that bad concussion, a fully fit Max will definitely challenge for a spot.

Going to focus now on 2 edge forwards:
1, Billy Burns - 22yrs old, 191cm 104kg's - my prediction is that Billy will be an absolute weapon for us next year. Another who needs a full pre-season. Needs room to move and when he gets it you'll see something really special.
2. Jayden Sua - 23yrs old, 188cm 100kg's - grand final player, will add some good defense in an area we've been lacking.

Again some young guns with good size.

If we add in Ben Hunt and Amone (my pick to wear the #6), Hunt become the real elder statesman. Removing Norman will help our attack no end, and shifting Sims to another role will also help.

Our biggest area of concern is service of the ball from dummy half and the spread thereafter. This should be our mantra next year, get the ball out to these young guns asap, not let us linger with lumbering forwards with 1 out hit-ups.
Some good comments there @Dragonslayer.
Especially agree re Burns, there’s something there just waiting to click.
Having all the extra threats now on the edges should give him a bit more room.

Old Timer

Coach
Some good comments there @Dragonslayer.
Especially agree re Burns, there’s something there just waiting to click.
Having all the extra threats now on the edges should give him a bit more room.
Burns will prosper from having good halves (f**k me he had to out up with good old Corey and still showed glimpses) and of course he will also benefit if he has a prop that can bust / bend the line.

RedVee

First Grade
Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, Suli, Rava.

The first thing the team needs is grit, to be able to lay a solid platform for them in attack and solid defence so that their brilliance isnt thrown away. X factor is the icing on the cake, its doing all the small things correctly and consistently that we have to get right. You cant rely on X factor alone to win you games.

You look at the top teams and that is where the real difference lies.
We have lacked resilience for years. Every game that has something riding on it, we go to water.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
With the more than certain signing of Aaron Woods ( Confirmation most likely tomoz ) that leaves us with 3 spots left for 2022

So who do u guys think will be next

I personally believe we will probably gain another prop ( I’ve got a hunch it might be Dylan Napa )

A backup dummy half is an ABSOLUTE priority right now and only one on the market I can think of is Mitch Rein ( not sure about the rumours of us trying to get Freddy Lussick from the Roosters )

An I reckon one more depth outside back may be needed with Curtis Scott’s name being thrown around
I guess Mbye will be the backup hooker but if one becomes available I’d grab one. If I were looking for an outside back I’d probably grab a tall fast winger if there are any around. We are a touch lacking in out and out speed.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Clearly our biggest concern is hooker. Mbye is the backup unless we push Hunt there, and I’d be surprised if Hook entertained that idea.

my biggest question here is “do we have eyes on a youngster?” Hence we are developing them and Macca is the best option now, and not worth throwing cap away now?

or we just haven’t been able to secure the next guy?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
What about the Easts bloke that was loaned to us ..there was some talk he might be recruited? Personally think our biggest concern is Prop though …

Yow

Juniors
Noticed Steve Marsters has been let go by Souths not the big loss people were saying 2 years ago

Illusion

Bench
Agree however I am not sure we have that prop yet?
Agree thats been the problem for a while none of the forwards get over the advantage line much in games ...... Its always the first 20min that we look ok but then bingo Metamorphosis sets in ..... Then the backs suffer with no go forward , just hoping next year the player new recruits make a difference ......

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Suli is an interesting signing and I wouldn’t actually class him as a “journeyman” as his 1st year at Tigpies he was only 18 or so and not yet established.
I think if he gets his head right he can ve an asset but if not a definite Joey Leilua in the making.

Woods is no doubt now a journeyman as he has had a few clubs now but I do see him slightly different as he has shown he could rise to rep level unlike the likes of Fuimaono, Latts and some of the bog average ones who were talked up having never achieved anything substantial.

At low $$$ he can fill a role whilst we stop our ship from listing any further and him getting a 1 year contract with an option our way says to me some thought went into the signing.

Woods is anything but my favourite player but not sure he should be our whipping boy as he just might surprise a few in what he brings to us.

I don’t like journeyman very much but certainly have a greater aversion to those that attract longish contracts on overs and not sure Woods is one of those and he at least might be able to take a youngster under his wing unlike Graham who was incredibly overhyped and gave us blocker Lawrie
Woods may not bend the line like he used to but I still think he’s more effective that Lats, Graham and co in that department. One thing he’s got going for him is he can still defend very solidly and play good minutes. Maybe given it’s his last chance and a sea change to Wollongong if he actually moves down and we could see him reborn.

Clearly our biggest concern is hooker. Mbye is the backup unless we push Hunt there, and I’d be surprised if Hook entertained that idea.

my biggest question here is “do we have eyes on a youngster?” Hence we are developing them and Macca is the best option now, and not worth throwing cap away now?

McCullough, Mbye, Sullivan, Hunt, McGuire. Quite a lot of experience there.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

We are developing our own in Connor Muhleisen. Good young hooker and a reasonable goal kicker as well.

rasaint

Juniors
Just a quick comment as many have hopes for Billy Burns. IMO he is starting to remind me of Brent Kite in some respects.

When Brent started first season he was quite a slim / wiry tall body type. At the time I thought he would be a fringe first grader during his career.

My recollection was that he hit the weights and his body shape bulked markedly. His second season with us was very strong. He moved to the front row, was quick for a big guy and made breaks. Thereafter, he improved so much that Manly recruited him as our salary cap was unable to keep him.

Time will tell the Billy Burns story but some parallels exist.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Just a quick comment as many have hopes for Billy Burns. IMO he is starting to remind me of Brent Kite in some respects.

When Brent started first season he was quite a slim / wiry tall body type. At the time I thought he would be a fringe first grader during his career.

My recollection was that he hit the weights and his body shape bulked markedly. His second season with us was very strong. He moved to the front row, was quick for a big guy and made breaks. Thereafter, he improved so much that Manly recruited him as our salary cap was unable to keep him.

Time will tell the Billy Burns story but some parallels exist.
I played with Brent Kite at school in Qbn, was always top notch.

Maddragon99

Juniors
* how do you know Simms can’t play prop ?
* If Kerr is anything it is a prop ( he ain’t a back rower )
* George has 5 months to test his hips , put him straight in.
* McGuire won’t start the season for. Obvious reasons.
* Nobody Will Be as bad as Norman &the tigers fans confirm that he played well last. Year but nowhere near his wage .

Agree that another Youngish NRL forward on the rise would be great.
I agree with you 100% re Burgess assuming he’s fully fit for round 1 he’ll be one of our starting props. Watching Souths play & seeing Tom Burgess constantly bend the line was awesome, if George can do the same we’ll all be very happy.

For mine Lawrie is the other starter with Molo Woods/Kerr/Alvaro/Faamausili fighting for the other bench spot.