What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 starting 17? and BAs tenure

lingard

Coach
What would you need to see? Speed? Power? Work rate? What else?
Defensively he'd be good. Maybe very good. I don't think he has enough speed; especially acceleration. I don't think he has a great passing game; especially left to right, and especially a long passing game. I don't think his vision or game awareness is of a sufficient standard. I realise that you could level some of these criticisms at Gutherson, but his workrate is so high that it compensates for a lot of these deficiencies. It would be hard to imagine Brown being as highly involved in a game as Gutherson is. Besides, with this current Parramatta team's deficiencies in attack, I think we need a fullback with elite speed. Either that or just leave Gutho there.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
And I reckon he's not as fast as some think either.
I reckon Drowns speed/acceleration is underestimated:

Try against titans

Try against Dragons

Chase on Cleary

Chase against Storm

top 10 for top speed in 2020

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
there is a post here (Eels in the Media I think) with an image of 6 NRL players and the speed they have been clocked at,

JAC is obviously the quickest, Dylbags 4th quickest in the NRL

It doesn't allege that all players have been clocked, but he is not slow and speed is why he is such a good cover defender imo
Must put concrete in his shoes every time he runs on the field to play a game.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There is no doubt hes extremely fast. He just needs to learn how to use it in attack. Love to see him running in support of some of our big men.
Perfect case in point late in the game against the Riff, Paulo ran at a busted Cleary and he missed the tackle and Paulo stood for an age to pass it to someone anyone and there was f**king no one there. Gutho was redlining which is fair enough he’s done a power of work that’s where Dyl should of been pushing up. Terry Lamb wasn’t big or very quick but he was always there backing up that’s what Dyl needs to do much more of. His coach and John’s should be working with him on that side of his game.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Perfect case in point late in the game against the Riff, Paulo ran at a busted Cleary and he missed the tackle and Paulo stood for an age to pass it to someone anyone and there was f**king no one there. Gutho was redlining which is fair enough he’s done a power of work that’s where Dyl should of been pushing up. Terry Lamb wasn’t big or very quick but he was always there backing up that’s what Dyl needs to do much more of. His coach and John’s should be working with him on that side of his game.
Im hoping his development mirrors Rheeds. Many were frustrated with his DH work initially. I recall he also had big issues with his front on goal line D as well. 2020 his D improved and 2021 his DH work and kicking improved. When fit he is now elite.
Dyls kicking definitely improved this year and there were glimpses of his ball work particularly when he and Mitch combined. 2022 could be a huge year for Dyl. His D already wins us plenty of games.
Thats it. Wheres the 2022 Predictions Thread. Player of the year 2022. Dylan Brown.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Im hoping his development mirrors Rheeds. Many were frustrated with his Fake work initially. I recall he also had big issues with his front on goal line D as well. 2020 his D improved and 2021 his Fake work and kicking improved. When fit he is now elite.
Dyls kicking definitely improved this year and there were glimpses of his ball work particularly when he and Mitch combined. 2022 could be a huge year for Dyl. His D already wins us plenty of games.
Thats it. Wheres the 2022 Predictions Thread. Player of the year 2022. Dylan Brown.

The common denominator there between Rheed and Drown is get the basics right, get your defence in order, then move on. I think it's very deliberate, steady development. Get this right, then add to your game.

It means we don't get a guy blast onto the scene like say the Roosters had with Walker this year.

But hey.

emjaycee

Coach
The common denominator there between Rheed and Drown is get the basics right, get your defence in order, then move on. I think it's very deliberate, steady development. Get this right, then add to your game.

It means we don't get a guy blast onto the scene like say the Roosters had with Walker this year.

But hey.
Are you saying our younger players are actually being 'coached'?

Pazza

First Grade

But hey.

So if Parramatta had a exceptional talent coming through like a player such as Walker, Walsh, Burton etc they would be coached to limit their games to only focus on fundamentals such as completing their tackles ????

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So if Parramatta had a exceptional talent coming through like a player such as Walker, Walsh, Burton etc they would be coached to limit their games to only focus on fundamentals such as completing their tackles ????
Those clubs have no idea how to develop the games best young talents, BA and Parra’s track record are second to none. We look like we have a few decent young blokes coming through it will be interesting to see how they are handled and how much the coaching staff can get out of them.

Last edited:

Bandwagon

Staff member

Pretty much. Not so much limit, but concentrate on things like getting their defense right.

I reckon they'd have less freedom, or encouragement if you like, to play what's in front of them for sure.