What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 synopsis

This year I genuinely think that we would've won the comp if we'd kept our full side on the field. If we had finished up 5th and played the Raiders I think we would've gone on and beat Parramatta, beat the Cowboys and be playing Penrith this weekend with a very real chance of winning. Unfortunately we had bad luck with injuries and took on a absolutely filthy Souths team.

Despite my genuine thought that we could've taken it this year I think next year we'll be much more dangerous. Sam Walker is now almost 50 games into his career and is improving every season, Suaalii has played a full season pretty much and has shown what he can do, Keary/Walker have finally played a full season (Almost) together and therefore will only be better next year, Tedesco, Tupou, Manu, Keary, JWH, Lodge, Crichton, Butcher and Radley would all walk into most other teams and are some of the best players in the league.

As much as I like Verrills I think Smith is a HUGE upgrade on him. Smith is easily one of the best hookers in the world right now and at just 26 years old he'll still be a great hooker for 5 or more years. Comes from a winning team also so hopefully he won't want to f**k around.

The only thing I'd like to see us do and I'm not sure if we've got the cap room for it but I'd like to see an experienced forward signed for our bench because E Butcher, Terell May and Fletcher Baker don't have a heap of experience. I find most teams typically carry one experienced bench forward and ours (Taukeaiho) just left.
I don't think they would have won the comp as you need to be able to play 80 minutes week in week out like Penrith do as they give teams nothing and no respite.

I can't remember a game that you could say the Roosters played consistently for 80 minutes and i don't include the Tigers game as the Tigers were on holiday mode that game .

The Roosters have periods of downtime in games for whatever reason and unless they address this they will never be a serious chance.

Yes they can win enough games to play finals but when they come up against sides that do play 80 minutes they will be exposed,

Only a full strength Storm would have challenged Penrith

Valheru

Coach
I don't think they would have won the comp as you need to be able to play 80 minutes week in week out like Penrith do as they give teams nothing and no respite.

I can't remember a game that you could say the Roosters played consistently for 80 minutes and i don't include the Tigers game as the Tigers were on holiday mode that game .

The Roosters have periods of downtime in games for whatever reason and unless they address this they will never be a serious chance.

Yes they can win enough games to play finals but when they come up against sides that do play 80 minutes they will be exposed,

Only a full strength Storm would have challenged Penrith
"Playing for the full 80" is one of those cliches that is overused and poorly understood IMO.

It doesn't mean dominating for 80 minutes, it means playing to a standard for 80 minutes regardless of what the end result is. This is professional sport and momentum swings are bound to happen. The roosters definitely don't help themselves in regards to momentum swings with a high error rate.

The 2nd game against Penrith IMO was one of our best 3 performances this year where I would say we played for the 80 minutes and were every unlucky not to win. In regards to wins, I would describe rounds 4, 9, 10, 12, 19, 21, 22 and 24 as good performances over the full 80.

I think we could have beaten Penrith this year but left ourselves to much to do to even get the opportunity. We would have needed everything to break our way but would have offered better resistance than the teams they did play in the finals IMO. Next year we are a red hot chance to usurp them.