What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Season Wrap Up

Apey

Staff member
NRL

Ladder position:
5th (highest since 2006)
For: 626 (highest since 2003)
Against: 451 (lowest since 2013, ignoring 2020 due to 4 less games)
F/A: 175 (highest since 2002)

Achievements
- 2nd week of finals (furthest since 2013)
- Most tries scored by any team in the regular season
- Ponga - Dally M winner (first Knight since 2004)
- Bradman Best SOO Debut

NRLW

Ladder position: 1st
For: 224 (3rd)
Against: 119 (1st)
F/A: 105 (2nd)

Achievements
- Back to back Premiers!
- Club's first Minor Premiership
- Upton - Dally M winner + Karyn Murphy (best on ground in GF - second consecutive year)

~~~

There's probably more I could add for the achievements but I think I got the main talking points. While we were all quite disappointed with how it ended in the finals against the Warriors, this would have to be the club's best season since 2001. Second week of the finals for the boys, back to back Premiers for the girls and two Dally M winning fullbacks. For us long-suffering fans it's nice to finally have a year where we can confidently say the club had a great season. They've been very rare in the last two decades.

Last thing: support the girls. I know it's tough with time and financial constraints but the NRLW is only getting better and better and we have the best team in the comp with some very likeable humans who also are only going to keep getting better themselves.

Yosh

Coach
For me personally, being a Knights game had stopped being enjoyable sometime during the last decade. This season made it fun again being a Knights supporter. Great work everyone at the club! Long may it continue!

Woody90

Juniors
Definitely a lot of positives to take out of the season, particularly the NRLW.

When looking back at season 2023 as a whole, I think we probably overstated how bad we were before going on the run. We had a completely new spine, lost Brailey 6 rounds in and had to develop a new hooker on the fly and Ponga was out then changed positions…no team would thrive under those conditions and as soon as they had some time for the combinations to develop we reaped the rewards. Still definitely some bad games in there, but no doubt improved from where we were last year.

It’s exciting to think that we could get better with an off season of everyone playing in their positions. I’m equally realistic that next season we could shit the bed, but this squad seems a bit different. They all seem to have really hurt from the end of season loss rather than just being happy to be playing FG that we’d become used to. I think getting blokes in like Gamble and Hastings who hate losing and Ponga’s maturity has been the catalyst there.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Ponga
Jenkins
Gags
Best
Marzhew
Gamble
Jackson
Elliott
KPP
Friz
Leo
Crossland
J Saf
Pryce
Croker
D Saf
Lucas
18tn man Cartwright
Despite denials I do not see Brailey being here next season. And with Phoenix extending his deal according to the Tele it would not be to play the utility. Watching his progression at 9 is going to be something we can look forward to.