What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Vlad59

Juniors
If Dolphins do get sub 20k today let’s not pretend that is anything more than awful.

I didn’t expect them to match or exceed broncos crowds but I was also told the city was screaming for more content. They should be getting 25k to any game without much effort in a decent time slot.
People here are screaming for a third team in Brisbane. They need to stop screaming.

final say

Juniors
If Dolphins do get sub 20k today let’s not pretend that is anything more than awful.

I didn’t expect them to match or exceed broncos crowds but I was also told the city was screaming for more content. They should be getting 25k to any game without much effort in a decent time slot.
I love when people put a standard on them.. like based on what exactly?
They're supposed to be drawing big crowds in a city that already had a team?
In a city of 2.5 million, 80% are probably Broncos fans, 10% Lions fans, Roar and Reds.. some people are a bit of all those.
The Dolphins are catching recent arrivals to a growing city, people who weren't a Broncos fan that were willing to drop their Sydney team or new to the sport entirely.. it'll take 20 years before we get big numbers of rusted on fans.
There is not benchmarks or expectations...there's hopes..
My hope was around 20k average which is well above most Sydney teams. If Sydney teams that have built up followings for over a hundred years can't average 20k, I'm very confused as to why anyone would be disappointed that a new team is.

yakstorm

First Grade

Whilst we'd all want the Dolphins drawing 25K+ to all their matches at Suncorp, it's important that we don't overreact if they happen to fall into high teens territory today.

Firstly, since Andrew Johns retired, Newcastle has been far from a big drawer in the Sunshine state. Taking out last year's big crowd, generally the Knights have drawn in the 20K - 25K range at Suncorp over the past decade. There is a reason why the Broncos don't include them in their wish list of opponents to host when submitting to the NRL and why they missed out on Magic Round.

Secondly, as others have said, the Dolphins are still a new club, so it's not uncommon to go backwards on year 2 on some metrics, but they are also having to compete against a Broncos club which has rediscovered itself both on and off the field. In the battle of the hearts & minds of the South Queensland youth, there aren't going to be any easy wins for the Dolphins right now. If they had joined during the Griffin, Henjak or Seibold years, they would have been able to grow a lot quicker.

Thirdly, the club did stuff up for the Wests Tigers game with their $20.23 ticket offer. Whilst it drove some sales to that game, they did cop some backlash over it and no doubt some fans held off pre-purchasing for the Knights game out of fear of being stung again. The club has listened and not repeated the mistake, but it's still a sin they'll have to pay for, for a few games at least.

In terms of the comments about Brisbane was screaming for more content, none of that has been incorrect. Dolphins are still one of the better drawing teams in the sport & their arrival has also fuelled the growth of the Broncos, from a ratings, sponsorship, digital activity perspective, they're in the top 8 in all them. The largest crowd of the season so far has involved them and their return fixture against the Broncos is bound to be another sell out as well.

The club can of course still do a lot better. IMO, their pricing at Suncorp and the way they release tickets leaves a lot to be desired and they are pretty average at promoting their own matches, but let's not freak out too much if today's crowd is meh.

Brian potter

Bench

Especially given their current form and league standing.

nko11

Juniors
They'll be late, Brisbane folk run on 'Fiji time'. Dolphins sideline members sit in the western stand away from the camera, too.

Still looks more than the 16.2k that attended the Reds game last night, but we'll see!
Looks like it's filled a bit since kick-off. But highlights the bad game allocation by the Dolphins. If they're going to play games at Kayo. Why not have this one there and the Dragons round 2 game at Suncorp. Knights being known for poor support is SEQ and the Dragons known for big support in SEQ. It was predictable which would have drawn a better crowd.

Also brings up another point. Not saying it will happen, but if their support goes through the cycle that most expansion teams go through and it averages out at say ~17k, Suncorp is going to be too big and Kayo too small. Do you they upgrade Kayo or keep playing at Suncorp with a poor atmosphere.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Looks like it's filled a bit since kick-off. But highlights the bad game allocation by the Dolphins. If they're going to play games at Kayo. Why not have this one there and the Dragons round 2 game at Suncorp. Knights being known for poor support is SEQ and the Dragons known for big support in SEQ. It was predictable which would have drawn a better crowd.

Agree. Kayo stadium should be kept for the Knights, Raiders, and Penrith.

Brian potter

Bench
Has the novelty factor worn off for the dolphins in Brisbane and could it have anything to do with not being a genuine Brisbane based club?