What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Vlad59

Bench
17k is a very disappointing crowd for a top of the table clash, the Storm should be filling thier stadium every week.

I remember everyone's favourite LU member @Perth Red posting about his experience attending a Storm game, the tickets and food were insanely expensive. That's a sure way to keep crowds small, make it too expensive.

Speaking of Perth Red, I havnt seen him post for a while, should we check he's alright ?
So the Storm have a standard applied to them in a non nrl heartland we don’t apply to any other club? Solid.

Vlad59

Bench
apparently we have moved on now to discussing the lack of media coverage in Melbourne …I would say try to keep up..but you were one of the ones actually raising some of those concerns
I’m well ahead of you mate because I’ve lived the experience of how the Storm have grown across the board burdened with

1. Feck all support in developing the code across victoria
2. Existing in arguably Australia’s most hostile narket
3. Perpetual hatred and hostility from the Sydney mafia
4. Some poor decision making including the salary cap breaches that wounded them almost mortally.

I was part of the affiliated states program a decade ago and the ARLs operational budget for VIC, TAS, NT, SA and WA was 3 million dollars.
And the NSWRL was endlessly demanding the budget be cut.
That’s why the Storm developed independent of the local game.
With Vlandys it’s all changed and every metric including crowds is improving in Victoria. Sorry for the delay bro but wtf else did you expect?

taste2taste

Juniors
So the Storm have a standard applied to them in a non nrl heartland we don’t apply to any other club? Solid.
Not everyone in VIC is an AFL fanatic. In a city of 5m that has a reputation of filling stadiums to watch any and every sport they should be able to fill a 30k stadium every week.

To expose the Storm to new Victorian fans the NRL need to have it in thier next FTA deal that all storm games are shown weekly on FTA main channel, not hidden away on GEM.

Vlad59

Bench
Not everyone in VIC is an AFL fanatic. In a city of 5m that has a reputation of filling stadiums to watch any and every sport they should be able to fill a 30k stadium every week.

To expose the Storm to new Victorian fans the NRL need to have it in thier next FTA deal that all storm games are shown weekly on FTA main channel, not hidden away on GEM.
Enjoy your fantasy world. Reputation v reality are different things. And more and more games are on the main channel btw.

Vlad59

Bench
In my fantasy land there's an AFL team in league mad Sydney that can sell out a 48k stadium regularly
Congratulations. If you are referring to the swans they do so after

1. A longer period to establish themselves
2. Friendlier media
3. Being gifted, at the time, the biggest ground in Sydney by us to build their fan base
4. A governing body which aggressively supported them and allowed them known (and hidden) concessions in order to be successful
5. Opposing clubs who were bullied by the governing body not to oppose the ridiculous advantages handed to them
6. A stronger localised support base of Victorians who’d moved to Sydney and
7. The virtual death of another code (union) which saw a large chunk of their supporter base transfer loyalties to the swans. John O’Neill says hello.

Oh and I forgot - the super league war

With the death of the rebels and the correct processes in place finally now in Melbourne we will see ongoing growth.
Enjoy

BuffaloRules

Coach
I’m well ahead of you mate because I’ve lived the experience of how the Storm have grown across the board burdened with

1. Feck all support in developing the code across victoria
2. Existing in arguably Australia’s most hostile narket
3. Perpetual hatred and hostility from the Sydney mafia
4. Some poor decision making including the salary cap breaches that wounded them almost mortally.

I was part of the affiliated states program a decade ago and the ARLs operational budget for VIC, TAS, NT, SA and WA was 3 million dollars.
And the NSWRL was endlessly demanding the budget be cut.
That’s why the Storm developed independent of the local game.
With Vlandys it’s all changed and every metric including crowds is improving in Victoria. Sorry for the delay bro but wtf else did you expect?

just making a point that the problems of 20 years ago like having to wait until midnight to watch ad riddled delayed games and having no other media options than the Channel 9 Melb news and the Herald Sun completely ignoring the game are a thing of the past ..

I have no doubt there are local media and other forces ( AFL) still working today towards stymying the popularity of the game of NRL in Melbourne …but at least other options are there now …you can share a Kayo subscription with your mate for the cost of a couple of schooners each per month and watch all the NRL games live …and an added bonus you get to see Slothfield, Anasta and Gordy Tallis analyse all the important issues every day ad nauseum …

Vlad59

Bench
just making a point that the problems of 20 years ago like having to wait until midnight to watch ad riddled delayed games and having no other media options than the Channel 9 Melb news and the Herald Sun completely ignoring the game are a thing of the past ..

I have no doubt there are local media and other forces ( AFL) still working today towards stymying the popularity of the game of NRL in Melbourne …but at least other options are there now …you can share a Kayo subscription with your mate for the cost of a couple of schooners each per month and watch all the NRL games live …and an added bonus you get to see Slothfield, Anasta and Gordy Tallis analyse all the important issues every day ad nauseum …
The problems I have referred to existed much more recently than twenty years ago. Some still exist. We’ve made great progress. We will make more. Enjoy.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I just think it's wild you're hyper-critical of an emerging market averaging higher than a chunk of Sydney clubs who absolutely need more scrutiny than they're getting.

Melbourne are going just fine given they are a minority sport in their city. Yesterday they were up against the end of a 74,000 MCG game (whether you think so or not, a big game next door will impact the gate at the game across the road), probably the worst day of winter so far, and still cracked 17k.

Where's the criticism for Canberra getting 8k on Friday night in the same vein?
This is a great point, this crowd would have been 11-12k pre covid

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
17k is a very disappointing crowd for a top of the table clash, the Storm should be filling thier stadium every week.

I remember everyone's favourite LU member @Perth Red posting about his experience attending a Storm game, the tickets and food were insanely expensive. That's a sure way to keep crowds small, make it too expensive.

Speaking of Perth Red, I havnt seen him post for a while, should we check he's alright ?
I've told you all. Perth Red is Cummins, he's not posting because they are putting the bid together. All will be revealed soon

Latest posts