What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

i gotta feeling you are reading more into the “decoupling” then what is really there…
I'm not reading anything concrete into recent headlines. Just observing the circumstantial evidence.

With particular focus on the options available to Brisbane Easts in their pursuit of an NRL licence. Have to think they would prefer to emulate the Dolphins and enter the comp with their traditional identity intact. To that end, it would be remiss of the club if they were oblivious to potential fallout from any restructuring at Wests Tigers.
I note you ignored my point about a lot of Wests fans only knowing the Wests Tigers …who says that that want to change ?
The concluding sentence about changing allegiances was an attempt to address that point.

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
Biggest home crowds per club 2024 (with five games remaining)

Brisbane46,224v DOL (R6)
Canberra18,049v SYD (R12)
Canterbury45,496*v PAR (R14)
Cronulla13,500v PEN (R12)
Gold Coast25,278v BRI (R22)
Dolphins50,049v BRI (R26)
Manly17,385*v PAR (R8)
Melbourne26,106v DOL (R25)
Newcastle27,966*v PEN (R15)
North Qld24,230v BRI (R23)
Parramatta29,171v CBY (R1)
Penrith21,525*v CBY (R10)
St Geo Illa40,727*v SYD (R8)
Souths35,275v CBY (R4)
Sydney37,594v SOU (R3)
Warriors24,495v MEL (R15)
Wests Tigers17,351v BRI (R8)

* game in hand

Iamback

Coach
It’s hard to say exactly why crowds have grown so suddenly. The quality of the games and the new stadiums have certainly helped. As crowds grow you also have more people wanting to come and experience that.

Personally I think possibly the biggest factor is the introduction of the dolphins. It feels like the game is growing again and there hasn’t been this much positivity And enthusiasm for the game since maybe just before the super league era.

The crazy thing is the comp hasn’t actually been all that even. You have to go back to 2016 for a team not named roosters, storm or panthers to have won a comp and it’s not like roosters or storm had been struggling prior to that either. We’ve also had a lot of teams who are just perennial losers.

On top of that generally we’ve seen a lot of our bigger teams struggling for success. Teams like panthers, manly, sharks, storm aren’t historically the biggest drawers for example. Meanwhile so many of our big teams have been languishing down the bottom, especially Sydney sides.

I might sound like a hater but any team in the comp would draw 20K+ per game after winning 3 straight comps. I’m not doubting that the panthers have done other good things but that’s the big reason for the growth.

You could be right for us but a battle for last place sold out.

Seemed to be a few kids in that crowd too

According to The Kennel, pax for Bulldogs vs Cowboys at Accor today is now over 42,000.

Anticipate the crowd will be a similar size to the 35k last week vs Manly.

A Bulldogs win to guarantee a home elimination final will do wonders for the health of the R1 finals crowds.

Fangs

Coach
Does anyone have any theories why crowds have grown so quickly?

Games are better to watch live with the 6 again rule, games are more open. Pre 6 again games had fewer ' get out of your seat' moments.

Larger crowds lead to fomo, seeing a packed stadium makes people want to attend.

Besides those 2, I'm struggling to think why crowds have risen so quickly ?

The 6 again rule has completely changed the game for the better. It's a far better product to watch compared to pre-2020.

The penalties were getting so bad that our game resembled union.