What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Nothing do with bread Potplant. But the days of poms telling the world what to do are over. Look after your shitty backyard then get back to us.
Funny you say that, I like to watch that PBS Newshour on SBS when I can, (have been since the Jim Lehrer days) by chance I caught a bit of the BBC World news on before it the other day, seemed so irrelevant now, once it would have been the one to watch, and when they started an article about the Royals, well that confirmed it, yesterday`s country.

Suitman

Post Whore
These showers are heading towards Penrith from the NE. Some are very heavy. Perfect timing? Not!!
And there's not much behind them. Typical!

1715328226244.png

Dark Corner

Juniors
Those crowds were Normal

back then 10k was a really big crowd

this was well before every game was on tv and many games were considered to be awful quality
Looking at Rugby League Stats site attendance average same to go up an extra for 2000 for the 1986 and build from then on minus a few hundred or so in the coming seasons.

wests1

Juniors
Al
Too much, or wrong type of, hype can backfire. Pull a crowd to see a particular player and the bloke could have an awful game or be carted off inside the first minute. Same hazards ensue from generating superficial interest in a successful team.

Despite last year's sharp rise in attendances, this year's crowd thread is still peppered with posts in the style of "good crowd, but they need to keep winning" or "they lost last week, so this week people won't bother". Prior to the 8k at Souths/Penrith, someone with a rabbit in his profile was cheerfully opining he'd be surprised if 5k turned up.

This is a RL forum. Most contributors are presumably RL fans. The belief that NRL games are not inherently events worthy of attendance is profoundly entrenched. There always has to be an extra reason to prise supporters away from their sofas.

Whatever the cause of the fatalism, whether it's in the nature of the game on the field or an ethos derived from a fanbase traditionally composed of those with less disposable income, without a radical shift there's little hope of emulating the AFL's attendance culture.

Add scheduling, ticket release and pricing policies. TV fans are unmistakably the NRL priority.
All of that is true. But to suggest that we shouldn’t be happy with improvement is so unrealistic as to be disingenuous.
For 14,000 on a Thursday night with rain used to be solid. It’s now disappointing. That’s improvement.
I’ll say it one more time. If we get near last year we’re cheering. Trends are the game, not specific losses or wins. If we are above 2019 (Covid and all that) this year it means that the trend is up, even with dips. That’s how most serious statisticians work.
And forget AFL crowds. They’re a pipe dream for us. That game has a history and therefore culture of attendance that is almost cult like, particularly considering the concentration in one city.
We seem to be growing. As a passionate leaguie, that’s absolute music to my ears.

wests1

Juniors
Sorry, have no idea how the ‘AI’ before the quote got on my comment. I’m not suggesting anything, my fat fingers most have got in the way.

Latest posts