What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

nko11

Juniors
Interestingly, you maybe able to confirm or correct this I think they have the biggest increase of the past few years and it comes down to the new stadium.

I thought the crowd's atmosphere sounded so good on TV yesterday and I thought was probably close to 25,000 but the figure yesterday was still good.

I wouldnt actually blame people if they got turned away because of the weather, yes it was clear during the game but look how inconsistent the weather has been lately here in Sydney. Rain, then sunny, then rain again.
Imagine what a Bulldogs team in form, at a new 80k Accor Stadium at the same level of quality as the New Allianz, with extensive Metro links could average. Accor is much worse than what the old SFS was. I think they would be up around the 40k mark, maybe even 50k if the fixtures were good (playing the 8 other Sydney teams at home). Add in a curtain to block out the top 30k seats and you'd have an event game in Sydney every 2 weeks. Thats without taking into account, if Souths or Wests play there too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Interestingly, you maybe able to confirm or correct this I think they have the biggest increase of the past few years and it comes down to the new stadium.

I thought the crowd's atmosphere sounded so good on TV yesterday and I thought was probably close to 25,000 but the figure yesterday was still good.

I wouldnt actually blame people if they got turned away because of the weather, yes it was clear during the game but look how inconsistent the weather has been lately here in Sydney. Rain, then sunny, then rain again.
Taking out 2020 and 2021 for obvious reasons, Roosters home average:

Old SFS
2010 -- 13,942
2011 -- 14,946
2012 -- 12,707
2013 -- 20,397 🏆
2014 -- 14,821
2015 -- 17,815
2016 -- 10,246
2017 -- 16,034
2018 -- 16,694 🏆

SCG
2019 -- 18,549 🏆
2022 -- 13,239 (incl 1 game at new Allianz)

Allianz
2023 -- 21,135 (incl 2 games at SCG)
2024 -- 21,041

Safe to assume yes, they have recorded increased crowds as a result of the new stadium. Also helps they've made finals every year since 2017 though.

Valheru

Coach
If we get decent weather, our home game against Parra on a Friday night will get 25k regardless of their form (Friday night has always been our best drawing slot). If Parra can get some semblance of form it might get 30k.

The next home game is manly on a Saturday night which could get 25k if they win their next two (knights and titans both at Brookvale) and get themselves in the 8.

Last home game is Canberra on a Sunday Arvo on father's day. Last time we hosted a game on that day was 2013 against the Titans which drew 18k at the old stadium.

We definitely missed a trick by taking the dogs game to Gosford as that might have got 30k but it was shit weather that day.

We look likely to host at least one finals game. Of the most likely options

Penrith - 32k week 1, sell out prelim
Melbourne - 28k week 1, 38k prelim
Dogs - sell out at any point in the finals
Sharks - same as Penrith

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Old SFS
2010 -- 13,942
2011 -- 14,946
2012 -- 12,707
2013 -- 20,397 🏆
2014 -- 14,821
2015 -- 17,815
2016 -- 10,246
2017 -- 16,034
2018 -- 16,694 🏆

SCG
2019 -- 18,549 🏆

Allianz
2024 -- 21,041

Safe to assume yes, they have recorded increased crowds as a result of the new stadium. Also helps they've made finals every year since 2017 though.
Broncos, Cowboys, Parra and Storm all experienced similar bumps when they started playing at new modern grounds.

Quality stadiums are a must if we are going to push the league average to 25k and beyond

Third highest non finals non ANZAC day crowd between these two sides, highest in 20 seasons.

Kind of nuts that numbers like this on a rainy day are considered disappointing.

Great stats. That's strong evidence that the crowd figure was a good one, particularly considering the recent weather in Sydney.

I'm interested to see how the remainder of the Roosters attendances go this year as they are a genuine top 2 prospect and have some potentially very healthy crowds coming up vs Sea Eagles and Eels.

Manly hasn't played at Allianz 2.0 yet, and their equivalent game last year vs the Roosters drew only 12,197 on a Thursday night at the SCG (and both were outside the eight). This year they are on a Saturday night and both look like they might be in the eight.

Parramatta vs the Roosters last year drew almost 21,000 on a Thursday night at Allianz 2.0, when their ladder positions were almost the same as this year (Parramatta was 15th and the Roosters were 3rd). On a Friday night with good weather, they should clear 25,000 this year.

I maintain South Sydney should be allowed to bring their last home game of the year back to Allianz 2.0 this year (considering they weren't able to bring the Indigenous Round game vs the Eels to Moore Park like they did in 2023). That would surely be another 30,000+ crowd, and if South Sydney was challenging for a spot in the eight (or the Roosters a minor premiership), it would be a sellout.

I think once or twice a month, the NRL should host the Friday 6pm KO at either Parra or Moore Park, featuring only Sydney club matchups and target these fixtures to the younger, after work crowd starting their Friday night off at the game. Ideally east coast match ups at SFS and Western Suburbs matchups at Parra.

Call it Friday Night Lights or something and give the fixtures event status with various pre and post match features to supplement the fixture.

mave

Coach
I think once or twice a month, the NRL should host the Friday 6pm KO at either Parra or Moore Park, featuring only Sydney club matchups and target these fixtures to the younger, after work crowd starting their Friday night off at the game. Ideally east coast match ups at SFS and Western Suburbs matchups at Parra.

Call it Friday Night Lights or something and give the fixtures event status with various pre and post match features to supplement the fixture.

User name checks out.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Broncos v Dragons update:
- black line - sold out
- pink line - 70% sold
- blue line - not released, but should be released in the coming days
- green line - not released but watching - if the blue and pink areas sell, and these aren't released, we could be letting junior passes in to sit here. But they might also use level 7 north for juniors, but something seems interesting given how level 7 east was opened first.

- if the pink and blue sell - 35k+
- if the pink, blue, and green are full - 38-40k.
- if the lot is gone - 42-43k. We won't get there, though.

Weather looks good so I am hopeful for 38k.

EDIT - 7pm Tuesday - level 7 south is open - if juniors are let in they will be in the north. Unlikely though.

suncorp.gif

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
Kayo Stadium is sold out for Thursday night. Only limited GA left at Pointsbet Stadium on Sunday and should sell out, whilst Brookvale Oval is on track for another 17K crowd with only the hill left.

Titans have gone back to only opening limited parts of CBUS Stadium, which appear to be selling okay, but I imagine we're looking at 13K-14K at this stage. Hopefully off the back of their recent form the fans turn up in bigger numbers.

shewi6

Juniors
Every bay the broncos release on level 7 east seems to sell quick smart with the pricing strategy they have for this game.

Frustrating that they only release 1 bay at a time, feels like if they opened all of level 7 at once they could almost sell out.

jim_57

Staff member
Every bay the broncos release on level 7 east seems to sell quick smart with the pricing strategy they have for this game.

Frustrating that they only release 1 bay at a time, feels like if they opened all of level 7 at once they could almost sell out.

It’s frustrating when clubs only have one option on offer with their slow releases too, at least have a couple sideline bays and a couple behind the posts bays open at all times until sold out.

For example currently Broncos V Dragons has no seats behind the posts on sale, likewise looking ahead to Dolphins V Broncos in round 26. Roosters have done the opposite a couple times this year.

H.H

Juniors
If we get decent weather, our home game against Parra on a Friday night will get 25k regardless of their form (Friday night has always been our best drawing slot). If Parra can get some semblance of form it might get 30k.

The next home game is manly on a Saturday night which could get 25k if they win their next two (knights and titans both at Brookvale) and get themselves in the 8.

Last home game is Canberra on a Sunday Arvo on father's day. Last time we hosted a game on that day was 2013 against the Titans which drew 18k at the old stadium.

We definitely missed a trick by taking the dogs game to Gosford as that might have got 30k but it was shit weather that day.

Sharks - same as Penrith
That last Canberra game will be a chance to farewell JWH, Manu, Keary and Suuali'i so there's an opportunity for a good crowd then too, although Fathers Day doesn't help.

Pjf04b

Juniors

Sharks - same as Penrith
You won't get a home final vs Penrith, and you won't make a preliminary final.

shewi6

Juniors
It’s frustrating when clubs only have one option on offer with their slow releases too, at least have a couple sideline bays and a couple behind the posts bays open at all times until sold out.

For example currently Broncos V Dragons has no seats behind the posts on sale, likewise looking ahead to Dolphins V Broncos in round 26. Roosters have done the opposite a couple times this year.
I just find it weird they are still releasing a bay at a time. The same strategy they use when these tickets usually cost $80 not $32.

I thought maybe they were trialling this for a 'low demand' game and would at least have the entire east on level 7 open if they were worried about the costs to open the whole stadium at once and not selling enough tickets to justify it.

*Edit- looks like sales are going quick enough that they are going to have to open up the north or south end soon anyway.

All of the east level 7 is open and only 2 bays have more than a handful of seats left.

Last edited:

shewi6

Juniors

Old SFS
2010 -- 13,942
2011 -- 14,946
2012 -- 12,707
2013 -- 20,397 🏆
2014 -- 14,821
2015 -- 17,815
2016 -- 10,246
2017 -- 16,034
2018 -- 16,694 🏆

SCG
2019 -- 18,549 🏆

Allianz
2024 -- 21,041

Even more impressive for 2024 imo as they didn't host the anzac day game, but now the game against souths is even bigger at the new sfs than it was at the old stadium.

Shows the value in creating event games that will draw a crowd without the weather or form impacting it too much.

Latest posts