What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Wb1234

Referee
Pressure on the developer to finish the LC = the stadium returns to capacity sooner = more interest in the hotel = more profits
I’m sure the sharks ceo is doing all he can behind the scenes to push things along

they probably stuffed up with the contract not putting heavy penalty conditions on it

or it could even be the building ombudsman is auditing the site and that’s the cause of delay

maybe some sharks fans who know more can update ?

and the sharks are not only missing out on at least 5k crowds at home games, they are losing millions in each year in lost revenue from their leagues club

Wb1234

Referee

For our Leagues Club timeline, nothing has changed since our update late last year given the Christmas and New Year break. We're still working hard with the developer to complete our roof works by the end of February/early March.

Once the roof is complete, the club will need to appoint a builder to complete the façade and, in parallel to this engagement, look to engage a contractor to do our fit-out works.

Assuming the works are completed on time and without significant variation, our anticipated timeline remains the same. We expect the roof to be completed by March this year and hope the façade is ready no later than July ahead of a Leagues Club opening in late 2024.

shewi6

Juniors
The figure I've quoted is the legal limit the ground is allowed to hold if there is no construction work. It also aligns with the figures the club has put out there around what the venue will be able to hold at the end of construction.

As I put in my post, it's debatable whether it will still be able to hold that many, but at this point in time, unless someone on this forum is currently involved in the project or doing the certifications, then anything is is pure speculation and guess work around how many people can sit in a square meter of grass or whether alternate allocation methods, like terracing can fit comparable numbers in.

The ground will be able to hold more once construction is done above the 13,500 limit currently imposed and it is going to be larger than some of the capacities other Sydney venues which host NRL fixtures have.
Yeh and I'm telling you that just because the old legal limit was 20k doesn't mean that was the capacity considering the highest crowd in recent history you quoted as 18.9k.

Same problem all grounds with hills have had over the last 10 or so years with less and less people allowed in those areas. Example is brookie record crowd is 27k and now can only fit 17.5k, thats with a new north stand as well.

I don't need to be the ceo of the construction company to see that the stadium area has been reduced by the bordering developments and can deduce that whatever capacity it had before will be reduced going forward.

Wb1234

Referee
Yeh and I'm telling you that just because the old legal limit was 20k doesn't mean that was the capacity considering the highest crowd in recent history you quoted as 18.9k.

Same problem all grounds with hills have had over the last 10 or so years with less and less people allowed in those areas. Example is brookie record crowd is 27k and now can only fit 17.5k, thats with a new north stand as well.

I don't need to be the ceo of the construction company to see that the stadium area has been reduced by the bordering developments and can deduce that whatever capacity it had before will be reduced going forward.
Only has one small hill

shewi6

Juniors
Only has one small hill
Is everybody just blind or what?

That one small hill at the northern end is probably the biggest capacity area of the stadium.
There is standing hills north and south of the ET stand, standing areas in front of the south stand and the aforementioned areas north and south of the leagues club stand that are currently out of action.

Only figures I could find were 1500 capacity for the south stand and austadiums saying the ground has seating for 11k.
Which makes east and west stands about 4k each when you add in the north seating bays.

So if the ground holds 20k when at full capacity, then your one little hill must hold 9k people.

shewi6

Juniors
Here is some info from someone who attended an information session about the development and what it meant for the sharks.

Expected capacity of the ground going forward will be 17.5k with an additional 500 places in the rooms overlooking the field in the new leagues club area.

Also on that same forum they were saying they recently did some costings to replace the ET stand with a new one at 6k capacity at a cost of $160M.
Take into account inflation and cost overruns and the sharks will never be able to afford it. @yakstorm Care to take back your statement about me being completely wrong?
Screenshot_20240715_205538_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

shewi6

Juniors
Our little ground really is attracting a lot of love on this thread. Kisses to you all :)
It's not much to be proud of but keep your head in the sand if you like.

If it was my club playing in a stadium like that I would admit that it is not up to standard.

It is just a waste really and if we don't break a 20k average competition wide this year than the sharks can take most of the blame for it.

Imagine if the eels or bulldogs had the recent success of the sharks and were solid top 4 this year, they would be averaging 25k plus easily.

Where as the sharks down the bottom of the ladder would still be averaging the same 10k.

yakstorm

First Grade
There are only the hills and less than 1,000 grandstand seats left at McDonald Jones Stadium for Saturday's match between the Knights v Broncos. With the forecast for the weekend meant to be dry, expect this to be the Knight's second sellout this year.

Storm v Roosters has surpassed sales for the Knights and Panthers matches earlier this year, so will be a 20K+ crowd. The Storm are partnering with the Starlight Foundation for the game, with Charity games traditionally well supported in Melbourne across the codes. Hopefully the game can push more towards 23K+

At the Central Coast, 17 of the 40 sideline bays are either sold out or have less than 5 seats available in them. Another 6 are more than 70% sold.

Manly is always talking about another near-capacity crowd for Sunday's game against the Titans. The game will be Manly's community match, which is traditionally well supported as well.

Wb1234

Referee
Here is some info from someone who attended an information session about the development and what it meant for the sharks.

Expected capacity of the ground going forward will be 17.5k with an additional 500 places in the rooms overlooking the field in the new leagues club area.

Also on that same forum they were saying they recently did some costings to replace the ET stand with a new one at 6k capacity at a cost of $160M.
Take into account inflation and cost overruns and the sharks will never be able to afford it. @yakstorm Care to take back your statement about me being completely wrong?
View attachment 91111
Redoing the et stand would be unlikely as it will block the views of the adjoining apartments

they could do a wrap around stand on the hill joining up et and Peter burns

18k is fine for the sharks needs anyway

shewi6

Juniors
Re-doing any stands at shark park is next to impossible because the government won't fund a privately owned stadium and the sharks will never have the money for it especially since they have already sold the farm.

18k might be fine for them considering they can't fill 13k every week despite being top 2/4, but fine for the NRL?
Not really.

Wb1234

Referee
Re-doing any stands at shark park is next to impossible because the government won't fund a privately owned stadium and the sharks will never have the money for it especially since they have already sold the farm.

18k might be fine for them considering they can't fill 13k every week despite being top 2/4, but fine for the NRL?
Not really.
Sharks are minted they don’t care

Brian potter

Bench
It's not much to be proud of but keep your head in the sand if you like.

If it was my club playing in a stadium like that I would admit that it is not up to standard.

It is just a waste really and if we don't break a 20k average competition wide this year than the sharks can take most of the blame for it.

Imagine if the eels or bulldogs had the recent success of the sharks and were solid top 4 this year, they would be averaging 25k plus easily.

Where as the sharks down the bottom of the ladder would still be averaging the same 10k.
They can’t even sellout their pathetic tiny little ground whilst being in the top4.

jim_57

Staff member

View attachment 91111

18k puts it back above Brookvale, Campbelltown & Leichhardt. Probably similar to what a sell out at Kogarah, Belmore & Wollongong are these days despite what their listed capacity says. Not that those are a particularly high bar, only full time venue is Brookvale.

They will be pushing shit up hill to get funding though even with the NRL in their corner.

jim_57

Staff member
There are only the hills and less than 1,000 grandstand seats left at McDonald Jones Stadium for Saturday's match between the Knights v Broncos. With the forecast for the weekend meant to be dry, expect this to be the Knight's second sellout this year.

Storm v Roosters has surpassed sales for the Knights and Panthers matches earlier this year, so will be a 20K+ crowd. The Storm are partnering with the Starlight Foundation for the game, with Charity games traditionally well supported in Melbourne across the codes. Hopefully the game can push more towards 23K+

At the Central Coast, 17 of the 40 sideline bays are either sold out or have less than 5 seats available in them. Another 6 are more than 70% sold.

Manly is always talking about another near-capacity crowd for Sunday's game against the Titans. The game will be Manly's community match, which is traditionally well supported as well.

Storm need an average of roughly 21k from their last 3 to beat the 20k average at AAMI Park for the year. Whilst pretty unlikely if they could get 23k+ for this game they then have 2 fan friendly Sat 5:30pm games to finish. It’s an outside chance of what would be a huge milestone for them.

Also I believe Newcastle’s last 2 game sold out so this would be the 3rd?

Latest posts