What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Perth Red

Post Whore
I agree, Sydney finally has their Suncorp and the NRL should work with the State Government to build as many event games there as possible. I'd love to get down to Sydney for a game there soon.
Nrl should host a Friday night all Sydney blockbuster at allianz every Friday night. Make it an event all fans want to go to. make it free to full members of the clubs playing there.
Its criminal such a great stadium is sitting there under used whilst nrl games are taking place in half a dozen sht stadiums around the city.
So Sydney.

undertaker

Coach
Brilliant crowd. Probably one of the biggest for Saturday arvo. The atmosphere sounds like a finals game.
It was the largest crowd for a stand-alone Saturday arvo match during the regular season in the NRL-era. The Broncos also eclipsed their previous home record Saturday arvo attendance of 35,917 vs Norths at QE II Stadium in Rd 6 1994

However, since crowd attendance records going back to 1957, the largest Saturday arvo crowd (from what I can see) for a regular season match was in Rd 19 1969 between South Sydney and St George at the SCG, which got a crowd of 53,146.

Therefore, the only venue the NRL regularly use to host games that would be capable of breaking that 1969 record is Accor Stadium.

undertaker

Coach
It was the largest crowd for a stand-alone Saturday arvo match during the regular season in the NRL-era. The Broncos also eclipsed their previous home record Saturday arvo attendance of 35,917 vs Norths at QE II Stadium in Rd 6 1994

However, since crowd attendance records going back to 1957, the largest Saturday arvo crowd (from what I can see) for a regular season match was in Rd 19 1969 between South Sydney and St George at the SCG, which got a crowd of 53,146.

Therefore, the only venue the NRL regularly use to host games that would be capable of breaking that 1969 record is Accor Stadium.
Also want to add...

I think the crowds for Saturday arvo matches this season goes to show how far the game has grown over the years.

I remember when Saturday arvo matches regularly got sub-10k attendances. The NRL scrapped them in 2001 (introducing the 5:30pm timeslot that year), re-introduced Saturday 3pm matches in 2002 before they got scrapped again at the end of the season because most teams were vehemently opposed to hosting matches in that timeslot. As a result, the Melbourne Storm had to pick up the tab and play a large % of their home games in that timeslot.

Saturday 3pm games were re-introduced towards the end of 2013 (allegedly due to fans wanting more afternoon matches), and the crowds have grown over time since then.

In addition to the brilliant crowd at Suncorp, so far this year, the Bulldogs got 27k and the Gold Coast got 22k (both games were against the Warriors), not to mention Canberra got nearly 20k vs Roosters: something which would've been completely unheard during the era when ABC used to broadcast Saturday arvo games.

Last edited:

i0Nic

Juniors
It’s not a bad crowd but in the context of a local qld derby on a sunny weekend afternoon game with Dolphins going well it’s a bit disappointing. I don’t think it bodes strongly for another SEQ club anytime soon. Seems that the 1st season hype has died down.

Let’s get Dolphins averaging 25k and then consider another club there.

Not good enough for another side is it
Not bad considering the bulk of Dolphins fans live 42km away.

Brisbane has the worst traffic congestion in Australia and there's little parking around Lang Park.

Public transport in Brisbane isn't very good, either.

It’s not a bad crowd but in the context of a local qld derby on a sunny weekend afternoon game with Dolphins going well it’s a bit disappointing. I don’t think it bodes strongly for another SEQ club anytime soon. Seems that the 1st season hype has died down.

Titans aren't a draw in Brisbane. Many of us view them as a Frankenstein team that's half NSW because it takes in the Tweed and North Coast. Using sky blue in its colour scheme doesn't help.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
19.5k against the Titans is a pass, IMO. The Titans are about as irrelevant as Canberra to fans of other QLD teams. There is literally no rivalry, and no team will ever have a rivalry with the Gold Coast, because the Gold Coast has absolutely no tribalism to begin with. It's a transient location city.

It would take losing to them in a GF to create interest.

undertaker

Coach

170,968 for the round, 21,371 average

3 million mark for the season ✅

3,010,283, average per game (156 games) of 19,297
As I said previously, anything over 10k for tonight's match in Canberra would be a success given the conditions (their previous home game vs Warriors that was also played in a 0 degree windchill got 8.5k).

12,114 though...well done to those who turned out.

final say

Juniors

" local derby " lol close to nobody drives up the most congested highway( M1) unless they have to.
People who think that people on the gold coast want to drive 2 hours for a game of football have rocks in their head.
The Dolphins would pull better against almost any properly established team due to expats in Brisbane.
O and the Titans are 3rd from the bottom...
I'm sick of people making the claims about the Dolphins crowds without knowing anything about SEQ.

Vlad59

Bench
" local derby " lol close to nobody drives up the most congested highway( M1) unless they have to.
People who think that people on the gold coast want to drive 2 hours for a game of football have rocks in their head.
The Dolphins would pull better against almost any properly established team due to expats in Brisbane.
O and the Titans are 3rd from the bottom...
I'm sick of people making the claims about the Dolphins crowds without knowing anything about SEQ.
Aren’t you a kiwi?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Concerning with their team flying the dolphins crowd

Has crushers 2.0 vibes
Averaging more than Broncos in their second season (1989) and way more than the Crushers in their second season (1996, admittedly heavily SL war affected).

Will finish the season as the second or third highest Averaging team in the league at a time where they are carving out thier fan base against a Broncos team that are the hottest ticket in town. They are doing just fine. You just worry about the Eels crowds... 11k after 77 years in the comp and a with brand new stadium.

Vlad59

Bench
Averaging more than Broncos in their second season (1989) and way more than the Crushers in their second season (1996, admittedly heavily SL war affected).

Will finish the season as the second or third highest Averaging team in the league at a time where they are carving out thier fan base against a Broncos team that are the hottest ticket in town. They are doing just fine. You just worry about the Eels crowds... 11k after 77 years in the comp and a with brand new stadium.
Swans are more his thing

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Nrl should host a Friday night all Sydney blockbuster at allianz every Friday night. Make it an event all fans want to go to. make it free to full members of the clubs playing there.
Its criminal such a great stadium is sitting there under used whilst nrl games are taking place in half a dozen sht stadiums around the city.
So Sydney.
Yeah love this idea, match of the round and do whatever is needed to do to draw a big crowd

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Let's not go through this every Dolphins game everybody... They aren't the Broncos, that's clear. But they are the second highest draw in the NRL (outside of an unprecedented Wahs crowd surge), and they are only just finding their feet. Future is bright.

Latest posts