What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Jamberoo

Juniors
Where were the articles calling the Giants crowd embarrassing last week?
The AFL reported that it was a crowd of 18000 but it looked like much less.
That discussion was had in Melbourne, lots of talk about that poor crowd and what should be done about the Giants. Suggestions as usual were move them to Canberra or play games @ SCG where AFL is more popular,

Vossy was on SEN talking about how the Giants have absolutely zero cut through or interest in Sydney, so that help would explain why nobody is writing any article on them up there. It’s like they don’t exist.

And, yes, most non RL fans in Melbourne refer to the NRL as ‘Rugby’.
I can vouch for this! I'm in Melbourne atm and was at a packed bar in North Fitzroy for the Lions v Geelong. It's was a full voice Fitzroy Lions crowd! I've met Swans supporters too.. South Melbourne.. still Swans supporters.
It really proves how important the partnership between the Bears and WA is! Tapping into heartland support with a expansion is a massive win win, winning new supporters and old.
If the Western Bears had been playing the Sharks.. sold out! A sole WA team would have been even worse than the Cowboys!
Multiply that by 26 rounds and once again it's obvious how well that'll works.
PVL has done it again- genius.
I was at a pub in Richmond and everyone was cheering the Lions as well. The reason for this is that most Victorians would rather see a non-Victorian team win than another Vic club/rival.
Hate to burst the bubble here but I don't find this to be remotely the case. There are a very small selection of dickhead AFL journos who make very occasional or rare statements about RL (see Mark Robinson's ludicrous claim about "AFL taking over in NSW and QLD" last week) but for the most part I have not found this at all
The amount of conspiracy theorists continually making strange posts about the AFL here is high. Half the posts this weekend in this thread have been about the AFL. Oh, and the AFL and AFL journos rarely if ever mention NRL and when they do (in Melbourne) it is usually pumping up Melbourne Storm.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Hate to burst the bubble here but I don't find this to be remotely the case. There are a very small selection of dickhead AFL journos who make very occasional or rare statements about RL (see Mark Robinson's ludicrous claim about "AFL taking over in NSW and QLD" last week) but for the most part I have not found this at all
Spoken like a Collingdon member and banner holder.

Gobsmacked

Bench
What bubble? Yes, very rare articles..and when they do.." AFL taking over in NSW and QLD"
Of course the Storm get a small article every week.

no name

Referee
That discussion was had in Melbourne, lots of talk about that poor crowd and what should be done about the Giants. Suggestions as usual were move them to Canberra or play games @ SCG where AFL is more popular,

Vossy was on SEN talking about how the Giants have absolutely zero cut through or interest in Sydney, so that help would explain why nobody is writing any article on them up there. It’s like they don’t exist.
Fletch was on SEN on Thursday or Friday afternoon and said something along the lines of he loves the Swans, he used to like the Giants when they gave him free stuff but his back with the Swans now.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The boss of the afl literally said they were number one in qld and their media reported the story verbatim
He didn't literally say that tbf, he said Queensland is "becoming an AFL state" and was bragging about participation figures being in line or just ahead of RL (which is rubbish anyway because their figures include Auskick, which is more or less sport-related activities rather than organised competition of any kind).

McLachlan, the bloke who said it, is now the boss of Tabcorp, for what it's worth, left the job about a year ago.

Wb1234

Immortal
He didn't literally say that tbf, he said Queensland is "becoming an AFL state" and was bragging about participation figures being in line or just ahead of RL (which is rubbish anyway because their figures include Auskick, which is more or less sport-related activities rather than organised competition of any kind).

McLachlan, the bloke who said it, is now the boss of Tabcorp, for what it's worth, left the job about a year ago.

“Outgoing AFL boss Gillon McLachlan has boldly declared Queensland is an “AFL state” with more participants in Australian Rules than rugby league”

Nobody in rugby league would ever say league is taking over in Victoria. Its a sign of how different the sports are

Afl is the borg of Australian sport.

Most Aussie rules commentators aren’t even allowed to be negative towards the afl or they lose their accreditation

League journo are mostly hopeless but at least they are allowed to make negative articles without fear of reprisal

Desert Qlder

First Grade

Partially true.

He said this would happen within "one or two years". The speech was given in March 2023.

Either way, not sure why it's worth correcting, given the absurd nature of the comments.

Iamback

Coach
It's on the ticket purchased.

Let's hope Penrith and Cronulla fans travel to Homebush for this!
I don't think this game will attract many neutrals unfortunately...

That is the reason we aren't getting those huge crowds but there is zero on to attract neutrals. No lower grades, Band/DJ and Homebush is a shit hole

Gobsmacked

Bench
????

Who's going to a footy match to see a band or a f**king DJ?

The DJs are the scourge of live football right now. All the freaking music during a game.

Geez , how dare young people enjoy having a DJ. .. so there's music between plays, when teams score , light shows, pyrotechnics.. now a bloody DJ !!
Before you know it, crowds will increase...

Latest posts