What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 FW2 Sat - Sydney 40-16 Manly @ Allianz

Finals Week 2: Sydney v Manly

• Sydney Roosters

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles

Votes: 16 64.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

typicalfan

Coach
He might be taking the advice of the medical team? Outrageous concept I know.
And they would know more than us undoubtedly. But the same team that risked the knees of Sam Walker and Brandon Smith. I guess there is always a risk vs reward.

soc123_au

Staff member
He might be taking the advice of the medical team? Outrageous concept I know.
Marvin_Monroe.png

Artiste

Bench
I'll be surprised if either team turns up. The "winner" wins a trip to Melbourne to get sodomised. No thanks.

Robbo in the presser should be worth tuning in for.

Hopefully Manly, so @Mr. Shaman is forced to pretend he doesn't care for another week.
You know he cares more than anyone, but as a manly supporter, I get it. Had his heart broken one too many times. LOL

The Roosters finals record since 2020 is pretty dire.

5 losses and their only 2 wins being by 1 point.

Of those two one-point wins, one was against the Titans who absolutely bottled a match-winner at the end (effectively ending Patrick Herbert's career).

The other against the perennial finals chokers in the Sharks last year.

It's not great reading.

Yes, but when you conisder the playters missing for those games its not surprising (taken from this article on Fox Sports - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/c4e7b388d848171e494826b9724e9762) -

The fact is Robinson has been basically fighting with one hand tied behind his back in the Roosters’ last six finals appearances dating back to 2021, when you throw injuries and suspensions into the equation.

In that period the record states the Chooks have lost four finals games and won only two.

But looking back over the players they have been missing in these games highlights how unlucky they have been.

We all know that in last week’s 30-10 loss to the Panthers they were without Sam Walker, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Brandon Smith and Victor Radley.

But go back to the two finals appearances last year and it was a similar story.

In the 18-13 loss to the Storm they were without Joey Manu, Daniel Tupou, Billy Smith, Waerea-Hargreaves, Joseph Suaalii and Sitili Tupouniua.

In fairness, the Storm were also without Jahrome Hughes and Ryan Papenhuyzen.

But don’t forget that game went down to the wire, with the Storm winning off a try from a bomb in the final minute.

The week before the Roosters were also missing Tupou, Tupouniua and Waerea-Hargreaves in the 13-12 win over the Sharks.

Then in 2022 when they were without Manu, Billy Smith, Lindsay Collins and Tupouniua in the 30-14 loss to the Rabbitohs.

In 2021 no Manu, Brett Morris, Luke Keary, Siosiua Taukeiaho, Collins and Sam Verrills in the 42-6 loss to Manly.

Before that they didn’t have Manu, BMoz, Keary, Collins and Nat Butcher in the 25-24 win over the Titans.

So its a bit hard to win finals games when you have anywhere from 3-5 established first grade players, in certain cases key players, out injured.

Warrimoo3

Juniors
Atkins to bunker : “How’s Trent ?”

Bunker: “He’s still salty with Ash over that forward pass call last week “.

Atkins to bunker: “No I meant “How’s Trent?”

Bunker: “Apparently the Broncs have introduced him to their favourite watering holes already”

Atkins to bunker: “You know , how’s TRENT ?”

Bunker: Oh sorry . My bad . The penalty count is 2-2. No worries there Grant”.

Atkins to bunker : “How’s Trent ?”

Bunker: “He’s still salty with Ash over that forward pass call last week “.

Atkins to bunker: “No I meant “How’s Trent?”

Bunker: “Apparently the Broncs have introduced him to their favourite watering holes already”

Atkins to bunker: “You know , how’s TRENT ?”

Bunker: Oh sorry . My bad . The penalty count is 2-2. No worries there Grant”.
I don’t get it…

horrie hastings

First Grade
Wonder if we had the bunker then what would have been the call on that no try ? I agree with Grahame Hughes on that call. I still remember being at that game, it was one of the hardest matches i have seen, both teams bashed each other, Manly won a very close encounter and had a week off to lick their wounds for the Grand Final where
Easts were battered and cannon fodder for Canberra the next week.

gerg

Juniors
How Grant Atkins is in the top two best refs in the game beggars belief!

Anyway expect a Teddy masterclass here and a Roosters bounce back Easts by 8-10 points.

Adam Gee referees the perfect game in the 2023 Grand Final. I've never seen so much appreciation for a referee after any game, let alone the most important NRL game in the calendar. Following year he cannot get a sniff of Origin or key finals games. Something stinks with this decision.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Thought the standard of last nights game was very poor for a final 6 knock out semi. Would expect this to be much better. Last night was officiated so differently to a competition game it felt like a Totally different sport. Im trying to think who that will benefit more tonight, leaning Roosters as they have the better defense.

Still thinking Easts and have a feeling it might be a lower scoring game then most expect. A 14-10 result or so wouldn't surprise me.

KOMORI

Bench
I can’t help but think that Manly have a team that, on their day, can beat any team in this competition… but we also have alarming defensive lapses and poor discipline that puts more pressure on that already questionable defence…

Both teams are desperate, Roosters are well down on troops but have plenty of finals experience… Whichever team makes the least mistakes will win this and I hope that’s Manly!!