What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Match Review & Judiciary charges

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Kennedy's charge was a given tbh. Bowled the ref over with his hands.
If he doesn't use his hands, he goes chin first into the back of Gee. It's a human reaction to put hands up to avoid body on body contact.

I can't see how anyone defends this. Why the f**k would it be in Kennedy's favour to make contact with Gee? It was 6-all, he was trying to back up to create a try scoring opportunity.

This game truly, officially has an officiating crisis. And Abdo/V'Landys seem to not only not care, but enjoy the media coverage

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If he doesn't use his hands, he goes chin first into the back of Gee. It's a human reaction to put hands up to avoid body on body contact.

I can't see how anyone defends this. Why the f**k would it be in Kennedy's favour to make contact with Gee? It was 6-all, he was trying to back up to create a try scoring opportunity.

This game truly, officially has an officiating crisis. And Abdo/V'Landys seem to not only not care, but enjoy the media coverage
But he chose to push him and get suspended over backing up for a try in an even contest. Got it.
Jfc this is hysterical

It's not one or the other - he made avoidable contact with the referee. The situation he was in happens multiple times in every game and players dont normally collide with the referee.

Yeah it's bad luck and Gee did move into his path somewhat, but the precedent is there. I'd have gone Grade 1 but he definitely made avoidable contact.

Bazal

Post Whore
Gee got in the way, which more and more referees seem to be doing. It's ridiculous that the NRL views that as a charge tbh, and super ridiculous that it's not worth fighting because everyone knows the likely result.

Apey

Staff member

I mean it sucks for Kennedy that Gee got in the way but yes he could have avoided him.

Not sure who said it was in his favour to do so. He was focused on supporting a linebreak, had tunnel vision and bowled a referee over.

He was obviously going to get charged based on precedent. The grading was probably just because of the strength of the collision.

blocka

Juniors
I mean it sucks for Kennedy that Gee got in the way but yes he could have avoided him.

Not sure who said it was in his favour to do so. He was focused on supporting a linebreak, had tunnel vision and bowled a referee over.

He was obviously going to get charged based on precedent. The grading was probably just because of the strength of the collision.
How could he avoid him when you watch it at full speed he was trying to swerve and it ended up being the same way Gee stepped.

Jfc this is hysterical

It's not one or the other - he made avoidable contact with the referee. The situation he was in happens multiple times in every game and players dont normally collide with the referee.

Yeah it's bad luck and Gee did move into his path somewhat, but the precedent is there. I'd have gone Grade 1 but he definitely made avoidable contact.
This is "somewhat" of a contradictory post

no name

Coach
The wording ‘avoidable contact’ is interesting. Many people have differing opinions on whether something is avoidable or not. A bit like judging someone’s intent. IMO Kennedy does everything he can to avoid Gee, Gee is moving one way so Kennedy goes to stay as straight as he can to be on the other side of Gee. Gee then stops right in front of Kennedy. As has been said why would he want to make contact? The fact that he was backing up a break situation tells anyone that he will do all he can to avoid the contact and get the ball from his teammate.
Neither of them know which way the other is going which is the cause of the accident. I thought a fine would have been harsh but would appease the ‘look’ of the game. Grade 2 and 1 week is over the top for mine. They obviously got feedback somewhere that they would be up against it to get a downgrade.

Rod

Bench
Like most I originally thought this charge was nonsense, but after listening to Annesley's explanation (and yes I know he can talk bollocks a lot of the time), I can see at least see where the NRL is coming from with this one. They're trying to set a precedent that contact with the referee is unacceptable in the hope that it filters down to lower grades. It's not even really about the NRL when it comes to this issue.

I would have been ok with a grade 1, but I can at least see the argument that the onus is on the player to avoid contact with a 'defenceless' ref who doesn't have 360 vision of the field.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Jfc this is hysterical

Yeah ok, I disagree. Plenty of other people do too. You probably watch more league than me but I haven't seen a player have to actively avoid a ref much at all, let alone multiple times in a game. Think you might have made that up.

Referees are not ceramic vases. They can cop a bit of physical contact when they get themselves in the wrong position. I get why the rule is there. But Gee gets himself in a bad position, he's in Kennedy's way, the player reacts as any human trying to move a certain way does, and Gee is fine. There's no excessive force.

It's another laughably pathetic decision from a competition that has had too many lately.

Iamback

Coach

The thing is with all these cases.

It shouldn't be slowed down, play it in full speed and it gives an idea of the reaction time.

It is another example of the NRL being out of touch with the game and ignoring accidents happening

Iamback

Coach
Yeah ok, I disagree. Plenty of other people do too. You probably watch more league than me but I haven't seen a player have to actively avoid a ref much at all, let alone multiple times in a game. Think you might have made that up.

Referees are not ceramic vases. They can cop a bit of physical contact when they get themselves in the wrong position. I get why the rule is there. But Gee gets himself in a bad position, he's in Kennedy's way, the player reacts as any human trying to move a certain way does, and Gee is fine. There's no excessive force.

It's another laughably pathetic decision from a competition that has had too many lately.

If a player gives the ref or touchie a mouthful then they go on report, Same should apply here the 3 on field officals and the bunker clearly so no issue with the accidental contact

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
At the very least, it should have been Grade 1. What was the rationale behind the fact it was grade 2?

The fact a bunch of crusher tackles get grade 1 while a softish push on a ref is grade 2 is hilarious. A guy is missing a game because a ref got in his way. If Gee doesn't get out of position, Kennedy is playing this week

Latest posts