What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 R18 Sun - Canberra 12-16 Newcastle @ GIO

Round 18: Canberra v Newcastle

• Canberra Raiders

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Apey

Staff member
I hope Ricky absolutely blows up in the press conference. That was an absolute f**king disgrace.

The best team lost tonight, and it is entirely Gerard Sutton’s fault. He decided the winner today, because if it was up to the players then the Raiders win by 10.

If Gerard Sutton referees at any level next week then we know that the NRL signed off on this result. And that means they’re happy with either complete and utter incompetence, or worse.

I have not been this f**king angry after a game in a long, long time.

First Knights try off a high tackle penalty so bad Barry Gommersall would blush.

Second Knights try off a forward pass that Tom Brady would be proud of.

Third Knights try after the Raiders had a forward pass call against them so bad I’d be checking the touchie’s bank account.

Then we have Papa taken late off the ball, Savage called for a knock on after one look when he clearly didn’t, a disgusting strip penalty against Strange that was horrifically confirmed by the cretin in the bunker, and 0 set restarts to us in the last 60 minutes despite constant holding down and ruck interference.

I honestly don’t know why I bother with NRL anymore. Horrifically bad officiating is killing our game. Look at last night. The Warriors lose in golden point after having a clear and obvious penalty completely ignored by both the onfield ref and the bunker. As a result the Bulldogs unjustly have 2 more points on the ladder, the Warriors 2 less.

How can anyone have confidence in the game with the level of incompetence at all levels?

What a joke.
I'm seeing it but I'm not feeling it.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
And what if Strange actually passed to Timoko for one of those chances? What would the score be?

I find boiling games down to these moments silly. Like beej not passing in the gf

The Raiders under stick generate so few chances from our structure (like see how rarely the Raiders will use a decoy run to force decisions from the defence) that we are heavily dependent on stuff like random bits of good play and if that doesn't get finished off it stands out

We had a lot of ball against a tired knights side. It's on Stuart

soc123_au

Staff member
I hope Ricky absolutely blows up in the press conference. That was an absolute f**king disgrace.

The best team lost tonight, and it is entirely Gerard Sutton’s fault. He decided the winner today, because if it was up to the players then the Raiders win by 10.

If Gerard Sutton referees at any level next week then we know that the NRL signed off on this result. And that means they’re happy with either complete and utter incompetence, or worse.

First Knights try off a high tackle penalty so bad Barry Gommersall would blush.

Third Knights try after the Raiders had a forward pass call against them so bad I’d be checking the touchie’s bank account.

Then we have Papa taken late off the ball, Savage called for a knock on after one look when he clearly didn’t, a disgusting strip penalty against Strange that was horrifically confirmed by the cretin in the bunker, and 0 set restarts to us in the last 60 minutes despite constant holding down and ruck interference.

I honestly don’t know why I bother with NRL anymore. Horrifically bad officiating is killing our game. Look at last night. The Warriors lose in golden point after having a clear and obvious penalty completely ignored by both the onfield ref and the bunker. As a result the Bulldogs unjustly have 2 more points on the ladder, the Warriors 2 less.

How can anyone have confidence in the game with the level of incompetence at all levels?

What a joke.
OIP.40EK-zMS2Z-81Jzj8ChRrwAAAA

skeepe

Immortal
Yep our 4 worst games this year have easily been the 2 against the Raiders and the 2 against the Dogs. The one against the Roosters was bad too.

I can see why we’d be shit today. Starting hooker and lock out, 2 complete rookies, Ponga just back, both wingers injured during the game…but still, I’m pretty mad at that performance. We were just lucky the Raiders were worse.
Knights were easily the worst team on the field. It wasn’t even close.

Gerard Sutton is the only reason they’re leaving Canberra with 2 points.

Rod

Bench

You scored 1 try that wasn't a fluke runaway. I'd start there when looking for blame.

What a joke.

Both teams played like dog shyte.

Giving any one of these teams 2 points today feels like robbery.

Wizardman

First Grade

Rugby League is a game where 95% of the time, you get what you deserve. Canberra's performance today was not in the 5%.

Knights took their opportunities well in the first half. Raiders were definitely the better side in the second half, yet the only points that they scored was off an intercept. Time to look a lot more inward than at Sutton's performance.

nick87

Coach
That was a merkin of a game played between two absoute dog shit football teams. Ponga if he had some runs under his belt might have put this game away in the first half. Looked rusty, fair enough i guess.

The Raiders have too many players in their 17 who arent NRL standard right now.
Levi, Smithies, Hopoate, Guler (and i wasa fan before this year), Whitehead

Could even argue that Weekes is a sub par NRL fullback, Cooks is a good Cup player but not a NRL FGer and Strange is on a steep learning curve but he's not ready to carry the creative load of an NRL team.
It's tough stuff for the Raiders right now.

Woody90

Juniors
That was a merkin of a game played between two absoute dog shit football teams. Ponga if he had some runs under his belt might have put this game away in the first half. Looked rusty, fair enough i guess.

The Raiders have too many players in their 17 who arent NRL standard right now.
Levi, Smithies, Hopoate, Guler (and i wasa fan before this year), Whitehead

Could even argue that Weekes is a sub par NRL fullback, Cooks is a good Cup player but not a NRL FGer and Strange is on a steep learning curve but he's not ready to carry the creative load of an NRL team.
It's tough stuff for the Raiders right now.

Could have written the same thing about the Knights tbh. Both sides have a few high quality players but they’re surrounded by a lot of plod. Spine injuries haven’t helped.

Ponga always has a few absolute howlers for us when coming back from a long-term injury. In a way I hope he gets picked for QLD so he can get rid of any remaining rust playing for them rather than us. His errors were atrocious today, but he’ll bounce back with more game time. He always does.