What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Injuries and Suspensions

callmack1

Staff member
Hey guys,

Since it's the 1st of November, it's that time to fully switch focus to 2024. This is part of a forum update where I'll be updating all threads for 2024. Same threads, same purpose, it's just a freshen up.

Please stop using the old threads if you can and start using these ones.

Please use this thread to discuss all injury/suspension news.

Cheers.

callmack1

Staff member

I'm not sure it's an issue in his knee. Mal said hamstring. Either way, at least he can rest now. I hope we give him a good break because he certainly deserves it and needs it. He should be good to go for the start of his Pre-Season thank god.

callmack1

Staff member

Jeeez this gave me one hell of a scare!! I breathed the biggest sigh of relief to hear it was just a calf and nothing super major. Running again by mid-Jan will be fine, that's not really a big issue so welcome news.

The thing that worries me though, remember last time one of our high-profile players picked up a 'minor' calf injury? Hopefully, this time, it actually is.

At least he's certain to not miss any game time because of this.

The amount of calf injuries the club has had in the past year is concerning. This will be the first real test for the new high performance team.

callmack1

Staff member
Tyrone injured on the boot camp that they started the year with. Saw a picture on Insta today of him in a moon boot. Let's hope it's nothing too serious.

Based off the latest Bunnies TV footage, it appears Cody has a minor injury too as he was training on his own away from the group.

Wighton still nowhere to be seen but hopefully he's not far away.

I couldn't see Thompson out there either so he must be injured too.

Other than that, it appears everyone else is fully fit for now.

callmack1

Staff member
A bit of an injury update for those who missed it.

Ty Ty tore ligaments in his ankle during the Pre-Season camp the boys did to start the year. He'll miss the trials which is a shame, but he'll be 100% fully fit for Round 1 if selected.

Jacky Wighton is still rehabbing that hamstring injury he picked up at training last year. He's going to miss the trials as well but will be fine for Round 3 (when he returns from suspension).

callmack1

Staff member

It's official now.

Wighton Round 3 (which we already knew), and Havili can serve his during trials because it was an international match.

callmack1

Staff member

Oh for f**k sake. Are you actually kidding me?? Ughhhhhhhh. This is beyond guttering and beyond frustrating. Six months. F**k me dead that's a long time.

Such a massive blow that's for sure. We need him big time, more than we need anyone else bar Latrell in the backline in my opinion. he just does so much shit for us both with and without the ball and I don't know if any player can replicate that.

It kind of cancels out the Jack Wighton signing a bit too. I was so excited to have them both going at it, that would've been insane, but now we just have one like we did last year. Wighton essentially becomes the new Stretch and has to pick up a lot of the slack. Ughhhh.

I'm gutted, yea, but for the most part I'm angry. Really angry. So, we play him for half a Season last year, make him go through absolute agony all for nothing because we didn't make Finals. Then he participates in the whole Pre-Season and the decision is made now to have surgery?? Why put him through that last year if it was potentially going to flow onto the next Season? I don't have any medical knowledge I admit, but it just looks so bad.

Really devastating news for the club but Stretch too. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and he'd be shattered.

On the bright side, if there is a bright side, hopefully we get him back nice and fit, fresh and ready to go for our run home later in the year. That could be pretty huge. I believe we still have a good enough side to be up there and in a good position come the time for his return and that is now the goal. It means we rely even heavier on the likes of Mitchell, Walker and Wighton to fire. They need even bigger years now. But look, we did it last year for 11 Rounds without a Wighton, and we can do it for half a Season this year without Graham.

Wighton to right center, Tass left for mine.

Still a guttering blow. For god's sake!!!!

callmack1

Staff member
I totally get now that surgery is the last resort with this type of injury. But the thing that gets me is why not do the infusion last year when it first happened and was bad? Why keep playing him? They could have done the infusion back then, and if it didn't work back then, get him in for surgery sometime last year and we wouldn't be in this mess.

I know I know nothing about the medical side of things, and they had their reasons, but it just looks so bad.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but I remember reading an article after the Season last year that said we sacked just about the entire medical staff? Can anyone confirm? You can kind of see why if true.

callmack1

Staff member

Ughhh god that's frustrating about Cody!! Ughhhhh!! We can't catch a break at the moment and a ball hasn't even been kicked yet in 2024. Not good at all.

I'm not fussed about him missing the All Stars obviously but it'd be a huge blow ioif he wasn't able to play in Round 1. We need him there and his crafty stuff, especially if we're playing on a smaller field and are missing Stretch and possibly Cam. We could be in a bit of trouble.

Thankfully, it is just a minor strain and he's a chance of playing Round 1 still. But what worries me is look at what happened last time one of our mega stars had a 'minor' calf strain.

God, I hope he's good to go!

callmack1

Staff member
Rumors now that Munro has a broken collarbone and Mellars has done his hammy.

God that is really terrible news on Munro. I'm a bit gutted by that and we're looking thin now. Was hoping it was just a rumor.

What's the average timeline on a collarbone injury? Anyone know roughly? Certainly rules him out of Round 1 but hopefully he might only miss just a few games.

I'm not as upset about Mellars as he wasn't going to see first grade this early. Still a blow for him and our lower grade sides though.

So friggin frustrating!!! We've had bugger all injuries all Pre-Season, and now we're picking up a stack of them three weeks out!

I suspect that Tass and Gagai have been pulled out of the All Stars squads so we have more cover for the Charity Shield next week.

Backs against the wall already but we can overcome!

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Ughhh for God's sake. I was holding out some hope still that Ty Ty's injury wasn't true.

Damn, eight weeks is a big blow and we just can't catch a break at the moment.

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbitohs young gun Tyrone Munro out for two months with shoulder injury​

South Sydney have launched a bid have Dane Gagai’s brother cleared for their Las Vegas fixture after teen flyer Tyrone Munro was added to the club’s growing casualty ward.

South Sydney have launched a bid to have Jacob Gagai cleared for their season opener in Las Vegas after their mounting injury crisis claimed another victim in the outside backs - teenage flyer Tyrone Munro.

Gagai, the 28-year-old brother of Newcastle and Queensland centre Dane Gagai, is yet to play first grade but has vaulted into contention to play in Round 1 after the Rabbitohs were rocked when Munro broke his collarbone at training over the weekend.

Munro underwent scans on Monday which confirmed he was expected to miss up to eight weeks, a bitter blow not just to Souths but also for the 19-year-old as he closed in on a place in a Rabbitohs backline that has been ravaged heading into the season.

Munro joins a growing list of absentees as the Rabbitohs prepare to head for America. Centre Campbell Graham headlines the slew of sidelined stars thanks to a sternum injury that may take up to six months to heal.

The Rabbitohs will also be without star recruit Jack Wighton, who is serving a suspension dating back to last season that will mean he is unavailable for the game against the Sea Eagles.

Izaak Thompson would have come into contention but he is unavailable for the game, leaving Gagai as one of the few outside backs on the club’s books capable of playing at Allegiant Stadium.

The issue for the Rabbitohs is that Gagai was charged and suspended over an incident in last year’s state championships after a swinging arm on Brisbane Easts player George Jennings.

Gagai was hit with a grade two careless high tackle offence which carried a one-match ban with an early guilty plea.

The Rabbitohs are hopeful that the judiciary will allow them to use the All Stars game as part of the ban, which would free him to take part in Round 1.

Gagai and fellow Souths player Isaiah Tass were withdrawn from the All Stars game at the weekend as the Rabbitohs looked to ensure their numbers weren’t further dwindled.

It now appears he should not have been picked in the first place given he is serving a suspension. That could end up working in Souths favour as they look to have the All Stars game counted as part of his ban, which would free him to play in Las Vegas.

The Rabbitohs are also sweating on the fitness of five-eighth Cody Walker as he struggled with a calf injury that forced his withdrawal from the All Stars game.

The Rabbitohs are confident the injury is only minor but this week will be crucial as he bids to prove his fitness to take on the Sea Eagles.

The last thing Souths can afford is to lose another of their big names given the way they have already been decimated in the lead up to Round 1.

Coach Jason Demetriou will be sweating on his players emerging from the All Stars game unscathed - Latrell and Shaquai Mitchell are part of the Indigenous All Stars team.

Rabbits20

Immortal
the injuries:

Graham - Sternum
Munro - Collarbone
Walker - Calf (second of the preseason)
Wighton - Calf
Thompson - Calf
Mellars - Hamstring
Cook - ‘Niggles’
Lovett knee
Havili - ?