What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 State of Origin Series (Mens Edition)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
At least one drought has finally been broken then.

2001 - Daniel Wagon the last player picked for QLD while they were playing for Parramatta at the time.

Geez that long ago, I think Mahoney came close one year

Off the top of my head we've had Artie Beetson, Jason Smith, Stuart Kelly, Bob Lindner. Anyone else ?

King-Gutho94

Coach
TBH i would have thought soing all the 1%ers and mistake free footy go hand in hand.

Penrith in NRL and Qld in Origin have alot in common attitude wise
We have tried the Penrith model and it has failed 3 in the past 4 years at Origin though.

hindy111

Post Whore
Jag a game ? Or win the series ?

I see plenty of 1% players in the QLD team. Not many in NSW.

Here's the thing with origin. Penrith win NRL games because they play a relentless, mistake free game. They wait for errors through pressure and come back with points on the back of possession in good field position.

Does that win you an origin series however ? No. IMHO an origin series is won on 1% ers by exceptional players doing exceptional things.

Qld bench looks light. Cotter and Carrigan are light. Yes mobile and fit. But I don't think they'll do much damage. Their back 3 are decent but lack the power of Too and Lomax. Whilst Crighton and Sulai also bring speed and power. The back 5 I give the nod to NSW.
I would of went Api at hooker personally.as he is dangerous.
Forwards NSW have some real power. If they have their share of possession I think they'll run over the top of them.
NSW a clean sweep for me.

hindy111

Post Whore
We have tried the Penrith model and it has failed 3 in the past 4 years at Origin though.

Dylan Edwards is a huge part. Also the forward picked before where TPJ and JNR. Neither are fast enough for origin.
Whilst still playing great footy DCE and HUNT are a year older. And they are also missing Munster and Ponga.

strider

Post Whore
NSW arent Penrith. I dont think they manage the same team cohesiveness - we have still lacked the attitude at times .... Qld manage to bring it most of the time and play as a team.

strider

Post Whore
Im a bit unsure about having all 3 of Jurbo, McInnes, Yeo .... 3 solid players, but dunno if having too many of them in the same team is an issue.
Young, meh.
Halves, meh, but what others would be better atm. Still suspect Hynes might not play and it will be Keary+Luai

the phantom menace

First Grade
Good on Hopkins for making the Qld bench.

Our whole team's form is down (and up and down) on last year, but you could argue Hopkins has been our best player this season? And well deserved based on his consistent contributions last season.

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
Think Hudson Young is perfect for origin. The thing I like about him is he all do whatever it takes to win …. Bit like a qlder

strider

Post Whore
Think Hudson Young is perfect for origin. The thing I like about him is he all do whatever it takes to win …. Bit like a qlder
Yeah i thought that last year. But then he was a bit meh .... maybe more experience will help???

Gronk

Staff member
Qld bench looks light. Cotter and Carrigan are light. Yes mobile and fit. But I don't think they'll do much damage. Their back 3 are decent but lack the power of Too and Lomax. Whilst Crighton and Sulai also bring speed and power. The back 5 I give the nod to NSW.
I would of went Api at hooker personally.as he is dangerous.
Forwards NSW have some real power. If they have their share of possession I think they'll run over the top of them.
NSW a clean sweep for me.
My point, in case you missed it, was that NSW lack X factor. QLD have it across the park and those 1%ers are what wins you origin. Even with Munster out, they have it in spades.

I hope you are right about the clean sweep, but I can't see NSW playing anything other than solid.

hindy111

Post Whore
My point, in case you missed it, was that NSW lack X factor. QLD have it across the park and those 1%ers are what wins you origin. Even with Munster out, they have it in spades.

I hope you are right about the clean sweep, but I can't see NSW playing anything other than solid.

I reckon Crighton,Suali,Lomax bring some X factor. Qld have Grant and Walsh.
Walsh is capable of a shit game however.