What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Penrith fan

Juniors
Just seeing in black and white all those games being shown in NZ and especially the weekly prime-time FTA game (and not even necessarily a Warriors` game) makes me realise how embedded the Wahs` and NRL are becoming in NZ popular culture now. Incredible.
Rugby League now has more eyeballs on it tvwise in kiwiland than Rugby Union

If it wasn't for soccer, we would be the biggest football code in the World.

Vlad59

Juniors
I would like you to prove that?

All i keep hearing from you blokes is he makes stuff up, show us?

From what i can see he uses the official ratings sites just like Wookie on here.

Its on the ride side of the NRL graph.

Show us your evidence that this bloke makes it up?
Sure

The_Wookie

Bench
Happy for someone else to post a number so we can compare ? Not rocket science this stuff

sportindustry was happy in previous years to use aggregate figures without nz to make comparisons

so they can do the same now without the foxsports numbers

No they cant.

Aint just the foxsports numbers missing. bear in mind that the way we see ratings at the moment is limited to marquee timeslots, which means about half of the AFLs FTA broadcasts arent being counted in anyones tallies (or other peoples imaginations).

The_Wookie

Bench
He’s not trying to make afl look better by using bs stats like minutes watched or reach

God forbid we should report all the data available.

where the surprise this gap is normal

how do you think nrl dominates afl ratings every year ?

How do you think the AFL has - and continually has for most of the last 4 decades - received more money for its media rights?

The_Wookie

Bench
Is there any science behind that twitter accounts claim that the NRL is the most watched sport in Australia, by the tune of 10 Million more viewers?

That seems extraordinary.

The NRL is most likely leading the ratings viewing by average audience. It has done most of the last decade. Ive written about this annually since 2018.

The truth is that it depends what you want out of the ratings. @docbrown has posted some fairly insightful commentary on this. We are all but poorly informed amateurs trying to make sense out of something that is far from black and white.

The issue comes down to whether you believe that the average audiences are the be all and end all (as is the predominant case here), whether you believe Reach is a fairer measure (as is the case with certain people on Bigfooty) or whether you believe Metro ratings are the most valuable part of the ratings (as seems to be believed by the media and according to recent reports, broadcasters - see article i posted here not long ago), or whether you believe in the Fox ratings (which even Fox dont believe).

All we have is the publicly released data, which this year has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

Vlad59

Juniors
The NRL is most likely leading the ratings viewing by average audience. It has done most of the last decade. Ive written about this annually since 2018.

The truth is that it depends what you want out of the ratings. @docbrown has posted some fairly insightful commentary on this. We are all but poorly informed amateurs trying to make sense out of something that is far from black and white.

The issue comes down to whether you believe that the average audiences are the be all and end all (as is the predominant case here), whether you believe Reach is a fairer measure (as is the case with certain people on Bigfooty) or whether you believe Metro ratings are the most valuable part of the ratings (as seems to be believed by the media and according to recent reports, broadcasters - see article i posted here not long ago), or whether you believe in the Fox ratings (which even Fox dont believe).

All we have is the publicly released data, which this year has more holes in it than swiss cheese.
Great post

The_Wookie

Bench
The nrl isn’t just leading the ratings it’s crushing them

anyone that can’t admit that is providing misinformation

reach means nothing

Its simply not that black and white. But hey you keep being you.

Reach means nothing to a lot of people. There are still some - not the least of which is Channel 7 - who seem to believe it has its merits.

BlueandGold

Juniors
So we're all on the same page

Every piece of ratings information

NRL
View attachment 86552

AFL

View attachment 86553

Very first line you have an error. hahaha

838 - 443 = 395

1713087256237.png

Last edited:

The_Wookie

Bench
Very first line you have an error. hahaha

838 - 443 = 395

Good call.

yeah the top two lines have altered when i moved them from google to excel. even the dates are wrong.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach

I'm sure that at the end of the year both the AFL and NRL will claim a victory, just based on different metrics.

I will always lean towards averages because I want to know how many times an ad spot has been seen. A one minute reach doesn't tell me that and it never will. In fact it's almost the opposite, because those reach viewers mostly flick to another channel once the football commercial break starts. Like I've said before, 30 minute panels are an acceptable alternative to average in terms of identifying 'peak' viewership.

That said the metro vs regional thing has always been a joke. The argument was that because you live in a certain suburb it means that you don't really exist as a viewer - that's just stupid. Even more so because regional affiliates in NSW and QLD have carried a decent chunk of the Sydney & Brisbane ads. We wouldn't see a subscriber doesn't exist just because they live in Dunedoo rather than Point Piper. So applying it to FTA is nonsensical.

That said this conversation is entirely of its time and in 15 years no one will be talking about reach. We will mostly be talking about subscribers.

Latest posts