What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Diesel

Referee
The game might rate higher but would 9 pay more for it ?

They need the pre game show to sell advertising space.

9 dictates kick off times, if the NRL want it changed they'll have to take a financial hit.
I’m sure 7 or 10 will pay for it if 9’s not interested. The build up is long and just repeated. They don’t need anymore than 30 minutes of build, and if so, cut the need to 30 minutes

I only look at the second set of figures below reach. That I think is average by 5 city metro non bvod and is around 900000. Wookie will know.
I asked him about this. If I correctly interpreted the reply, the second column is 5-city Metro, Regional, and BVOD combined.

i.e. the figure in the second column (Total TV Average) includes the figure from the third column (BVOD Average).

I'm still unclear what happens to BVOD viewers who watch long enough to register in the Reach figure but not long enough to register in the Average figure. They can't be counted in the third column if that is BVOD Average.

Dark Corner

Juniors
It sounds like we'll have 3 origin rounds with Women's/Under 19's on Thursday nights and Men's on Monday night, with a couple of NRL games sandwiched in between. The origin round crowds and ratings have been great this year. The move will effectively mean only 3 rounds are affected by Origin, which will boost overall NRL and Origin crowds.

As for the Pacific Cup, if the NRL gets it's international game in order in October & November each year, the rugby league season will effectively run February to November, 10 months a year. I doubt any other code will be able to match it.
Do you not think 10 months of Rugby League is too much for such a physical game....I find 8 months the perfect season.

docbrown

Coach
Do you not think 10 months of Rugby League is too much for such a physical game....I find 8 months the perfect season.
Not every player plays the full 10 months though. Players will play a couple of preseason games, then 24 NRL games (at most). That's about half the players in the comp playing 26-27 games max - in most cases even less. Players in finals bound teams will play 1-4 more, depending on their success, and it decreases each week of the finals. Origin players miss out on a couple of NRL rounds, so it's not adding anything extra to their workload. Then about 80-100 or so players would play a couple of internationals.

So work load would be about 26 for most players, 30 for a non-rep grand finalist and worst case theoretically 35-36 for a player who players every trial game, State of Origin, the NRL season, and makes it into the grand final - which is pretty rare and I doubt any player would hit that. I'd say the true maximum would be around 33 games a season maximum due to players being rested etc. And again that's only a tiny fraction of the truly elite players who can actually handle that workload.

In the meantime, rugby league dominates the sports scene from February to November as the biggest code at club, state, cultural (Indigenous and Maori) and international levels. I doubt any other code could replicate that.

Iamback

Coach
The game might rate higher but would 9 pay more for it ?

They need the pre game show to sell advertising space.

9 dictates kick off times, if the NRL want it changed they'll have to take a financial hit.

Correct. They have over 1m viewers at 10pm so win that time bracket too this way

Iamback

Coach
I’m sure 7 or 10 will pay for it if 9’s not interested. The build up is long and just repeated. They don’t need anymore than 30 minutes of build, and if so, cut the need to 30 minutes

You think either have the money required?

NRL would break the rights up IF it was worth it

Latest posts