What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 TV and Streaming Ratings Discussion

Frank Burge

Juniors
Hi Wookie,
Can you advise if tickets to mcg and the stadium they own in Melbourne are included in the AFL revenue and then distributed to the clubs ? If so how much is that and do they seperate regular season from the finals ?
Not trying to get involved in current arguments just wanted to know as would close the gap on total revenue, I know nrl gets receipts from origin and finals but clubs directly sell home games. With the ownership of Marvel the AFL would likely get revenue from all tickets sold and then distribute to home team and I am of the understanding that the VIC teams share game revenue at MCG so not sure if AFL gets it then distributes it?

Billythekid

First Grade

Wb1234

Immortal
Afl revenue from docklands is shown in the afl total revenue figure so clearly it’s misleading because stadiums rarely operate at a profit

This really should be taken out of afl revenue for comparison purposes

Also afl have to fund their juniors from their revenues whereas league is mainly via leagues club

Of course pro afl accounts won’t talk about this and are happy to post bs

The_Wookie

Bench
Yeah don’t you bother with us third class citizen league folk

I generally refer to league folk, afl folk, and football folk, depending on the subject matter. But hey you take it however you want.

Hi Wookie,
Can you advise if tickets to mcg and the stadium they own in Melbourne are included in the AFL revenue and then distributed to the clubs ? If so how much is that and do they seperate regular season from the finals ?

Ticketing - ie. the gate - is club revenue, not league revenue, until finals. Much is taken by membership and associated reserve seating - both of which are club revenues, except at the MCG (60 odd thousand AFL members pay the league directly, minus a club support contrbution which goes to the club, and the MCC, where members can also opt for club support contribution). Also Axxess One members at Marvel, pay the AFL directly.

The AFL does receive an attendance bonus if it meets benchmarks at the MCG.

Having said that if you are going to post stuff like that Wookie you are inviting it.

I know that, its not my first rodeo. I just couldnt be bothered last night lol

With a bit of objectivity for example you might mention the afl has much greater costs than the NRL due to more teams, a much longer and more costly women’s comp, a much greater travel component and costs and also literally hundreds of more players required. Comparing crowds in a rather snide way was also not helpful.

I was literally addressing points made in the Telegraph article. The crowd comment is also absolutely factual. If the fact that the AFL had double the NRLs attendance bothers you, get more of your friends to go to games.

I should have added that the afl is also propping up two money pits as well. It’s all about context Wookie. You should try it.

What some consider context wasnt particularly germane to the discussion at hand. Funding GWS/Gold Coast doesnt alter the AFLs position in the sporting landscape just because they can afford it.

Yes but he chose to make some rather snide comments on a day Vlandys announced the great growth of the comp. Coincidence? I think not.

Its literally minutes after an article in the Telegraph went out ion my timeline. Id have done exactly the same - have done the same - with the Aleague, Super Rugby, NBL and AFL when neccessary.

Not trying to get involved in current arguments just wanted to know as would close the gap on total revenue, I know nrl gets receipts from origin and finals but clubs directly sell home games. With the ownership of Marvel the AFL would likely get revenue from all tickets sold and then distribute to home team and I am of the understanding that the VIC teams share game revenue at MCG so not sure if AFL gets it then distributes it?

Ticketing at Marvel is still a club revenue, although clubs split corporate hospitality with the league, the league makes 20m or so in revenue annually from Axxess One members, and clubs still pay match costs.

There are signage and pourage rights at both the MCG and Docklands that go into the general revenue that is then divvied out however the AFL figures it out.

Afl revenue from docklands is shown in the afl total revenue figure so clearly it’s misleading because stadiums rarely operate at a profit

This really should be taken out of afl revenue for comparison purposes

And wll you be taking out the Gambaro hotel or whatever its called now from NRL assets? or its accommodation facility in Sydney?

Also afl have to fund their juniors from their revenues whereas league is mainly via leagues club

Speaks to profit margins - which favours the NRL - not revenue generation.

Latest posts