What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Week 3: FINALS Sept 27-28

hindy111

Post Whore
I think the cap, in theory, should work, however, the way it is being administered and how certain teams can attract rep players on unders is allowing the system to be manipulated.

I love the Panthers after my Eels BUT nrl has become boring. Same sides. If a side like Saints finishes 8th it's seen as a huge success yet reality is its still a reasonably rubbish season.
There are barely and threats to the comp at start of year.
Nearly everyone picked Penrith,Storm,Roosters in their top 4. Brisbane had an injury riddled season otherwise I reckon they are not far off.

Sides like Knights,Manly etc can make finals but there never an actual title threat. The difference is massive. I'd say they are closer to the bottom 2 sides in us and the Tigers then the top 2.... I don't see it as healthy for the game.

Iamback

Coach
I love the Panthers after my Eels BUT nrl has become boring. Same sides. If a side like Saints finishes 8th it's seen as a huge success yet reality is its still a reasonably rubbish season.
Nearly everyone picked Penrith,Storm,Roosters in their top 4. Brisbane had an injury riddled season otherwise I reckon they are not far off.

Sides like Knights,Manly etc can make finals but there never an actual title threat. The difference is massive. I'd say they are closer to the bottom 2 sides in us and the Tigers then the top 2.... I don't see it as healthy for the game.

That is on the other teams.

You know I had the bet on Parra to get the spoon, while injuries helped.

The reason I put it on was it was good odds but the side was too top heavy, No depth and a shit coach.

Lets use Tigers they have made Luai the highest paid player in the comp, 12 months after paying decent money for Sullivan who will now be on $600k in reserve grade.

How many of those bad sides are in a similar situation cap wise? That is why they stay average because they go halfway decent and have to shed players

hindy111

Post Whore

The reason I put it on was it was good odds but the side was too top heavy, No depth and a shit coach.

Lets use Tigers they have made Luai the highest paid player in the comp, 12 months after paying decent money for Sullivan who will now be on $600k in reserve grade.

How many of those bad sides are in a similar situation cap wise? That is why they stay average because they go halfway decent and have to shed players

A very shit coach. I agree. The guy and his prodigy son JA are Ron Massey level at best.

Tigers have to pay overs.

Panthers I always assumed fleeced the Chinese, old people amd drunks via the pokies machines and used that money to buy more and more clubs/pokies so it snowballed and then where able to put a percentage of that money into the development of juniors. The more you can spend here the better the odds are of getting good kids right?
I don't know how accurate this is. Its just what I assumed happened money wise.

T.S Quint

Coach

Makes you wonder how Penrith is able to keep these quality backups in their system so they are not too top-heavy.

King-Gutho94

Coach

We have slowly become the EPL.

The 3 or 4 same teams that can win it every year.

And a few others get a 2-3 year window to pinch it. Which is becoming harder to do. And then you have rebuild again some take 5 years, others take 7-8 years or the Tigers take an eternity.

hindy111

Post Whore
Makes you wonder how Penrith is able to keep these quality backups in their system so they are not too top-heavy.

Storm have Faalgo whod get 800k on open market in reserves. And a winger I forget name but same in reserves. Wishart on bench whod get 500k+ Its wild really

Iamback

Coach

We tap out early.

Turuva is a perfect example, We offered him $350k and told him that was it no more. He got a better offer and took it.

Some clubs would enter a bidding war and raise that if you do that for enough guys that is where you get in trouble.

soc123_au

Staff member
Storm have Faalgo whod get 800k on open market in reserves. And a winger I forget name but same in reserves. Wishart on bench whod get 500k+ Its wild really
What would either have gotten from any other club last contract they signed?

Pretty much what they are being paid at the Storm or rejected. It's not like they are signing these players on unders, their identification of untapped talent is 2nd to none.

Chance are they will lose one or both to some crap club on a stupid deal, then said crap clubs fans will whinge in 2 years because Storm have 2 kids that replaced them killing it. sToRm ChEaTiNg ThE cAp..

It amazes me that people cant work out where the real problem is.

Gazzamatta

Coach
We tap out early.

Turuva is a perfect example, We offered him $350k and told him that was it no more. He got a better offer and took it.

Some clubs would enter a bidding war and raise that if you do that for enough guys that is where you get in trouble.
Talagi?
I'm fascinated to see how this plays out.

soc123_au

Staff member

Talagi?
Depends what we paid him. First time we have gone and bought a player that would have had a few decent paying options for a while. With him and Papali'i it's still not like for like with what we lost.

Iamback

Coach
A very shit coach. I agree. The guy and his prodigy son JA are Ron Massey level at best.

Tigers have to pay overs.

Panthers I always assumed fleeced the Chinese, old people amd drunks via the pokies machines and used that money to buy more and more clubs/pokies so it snowballed and then where able to put a percentage of that money into the development of juniors. The more you can spend here the better the odds are of getting good kids right?
I don't know how accurate this is. Its just what I assumed happened money wise.

Juniors are still hit and miss.

There are things you can't control. Such as work commitments, injuries and so on.

Onto other teams

Knights pay overs,

Broncos are another top heavy team but very soft.

Cows should be better given their Origin guys.

GC have Origin guys got better as Des got the team buying in.

Dragons went better as the year went on. They won SG Ball so should get better talent under a decent coach.

Of course Gus will take what works at Penrith over there.

So the loser clubs hopefully get their stuff together and make it more open at the pointy end

Iamback

Coach

Talagi?

I took from the exit interview that he came to play 6, If he plays wing then we have overpaid

We have the money we put aside in the cap for Luai. I think that ended up $850k. Talagi would be on half that at a guess

That is what can't be counted on the cap is guys using better clubs as a stepping stone career wise. Like Alamoti, I don't see him being here long term because he will get too expensive.

Zoso

Juniors
What would either have gotten from any other club last contract they signed?

Pretty much what they are being paid at the Storm or rejected. It's not like they are signing these players on unders, their identification of untapped talent is 2nd to none.

Chance are they will lose one or both to some crap club on a stupid deal, then said crap clubs fans will whinge in 2 years because Storm have 2 kids that replaced them killing it. sToRm ChEaTiNg ThE cAp..

It amazes me that people cant work out where the real problem is.
Clearly some clubs have better systems. Add into that the self-perpetuating cycle that failure or success bring and it seems things get entrenched.
Next few years will be interesting to watch the Roosters. For the top three it probably takes a one off, unplanned cluster of losses to break their cycle, such as we are seeing at the Roosters.
Short of losing 3-4 plus quality players plus Bellamy, can we see Melbourne falling into a slump? Unlikely.

eels_fan

First Grade
Think NAS’s record and reputation has weighed heavily on that charge. It was a grade 1 at best, certainly not a grade 3. That’s a big loss for Storm.

Cannot see the sharks getting within 30 of Penrith tonight. 2 absolute blow out prelims shows how dominant the top 2 really are.

Can see Penrith maybe slipping a little next year, they are losing some real quality, roosters are shot, they’ll be lucky to be top 8, and sharks can’t possibly continue to be kissed on the dick by easy regular season draws. Storm look like they’ll be just as strong and regardless of the result next weekend they’ll be raging favourites to win in 2025

hindy111

Post Whore
Clearly some clubs have better systems. Add into that the self-perpetuating cycle that failure or success bring and it seems things get entrenched.
Next few years will be interesting to watch the Roosters. For the top three it probably takes a one off, unplanned cluster of losses to break their cycle, such as we are seeing at the Roosters.
Short of losing 3-4 plus quality players plus Bellamy, can we see Melbourne falling into a slump? Unlikely.

Nope. Unless Bleeamy goes. I think 2027 they may start to fade.based on Munster and Hughes getting a bit old

Latest posts