What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Squad List

If Saints lose Su'a to Bunnies, they have themselves to blame. Not only Souths but Roosters have money to burn as well. Not sure what Saints are waiting for.
The other side of the coin is I have not seen or heard any rumours of interest from elsewhere, or that he wants to leave.
But I know in this game, that does not always count for much.
For reasons fans are often not privy to, some negotiations seem to take forever to get done.
Just on the issue of the length of the contract, I doubt very much that any club would offer him a 4 year deal.
That said, like most here, I will be both relieved and happy when his new contract signing is announced.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
Thats the theory Gus used to basically clean out the Dogs losers, the guys conditioned to accepting defeat.. but he nailed almost every signing he went after.. its a bit harder for us, its why im very pi$$ed off we didnt just offer Turuva a simple and generous contract.. covers 3 positions (especially fullback which we have 0 coverage) and from a said top system.. they dont come around too often.
I agree we could've offered a simpler and more generous offer to Turuva, however I don't think much would've mattered considering his main reason for joining the Tigers is his family connection with Api.

Parko1310

Juniors
Knights are in somewhat of a cap squeeze at the moment as well looking at their roster. A couple contracted guys will probably have to leave. They will need to upgrade Leo Thompson but I doubt will be able to afford to do so unless they let someone leave. If you're the Dragons I'd be offering to help them out by taking Brailey off their hands. I believe he is literally the perfect style of hooker for our team, and allows Liddle to play 14 which he is far more suited to in my opinion. Liddle as a starter is a myth, none of his strengths can get utilised.

TheRev

First Grade
To be honest.. Flanno may well win the long-game.. we timed out rebuild terribly with the cap rebuild.. but players.. either 1st graders or emerging talents.. should be falling out the back end as a result... even with many taking unders or TPA's etc.. there should still be options.

But I assume this is where your player managers and recruitment manager earn their keep.. your looking to agitate or find those hungry for opportunity... we just have to be very careful to improve the roster without blocking the 19-20yr old brigade.. which tbf could be 4yrs away still.

TheRev

First Grade
I'd be surprised if Souths can afford to buy players in, they went for Wighton and Dodd on top of their ageing but very expensive spine.

That said, Koloamatangi seems like the only big name 2nd rower they have.. Host surely expendable (off contract end of 2025), and Tallis Duncan is the gun I think they want to bring in more often., im sure I've missed a few..

We have 8 x 2nd-Rowers in our extended squad next year (depending what Sua and Eisenhuth do).

jeffdragon

Bench
I'd be surprised if Souths can afford to buy players in, they went for Wighton and Dodd on top of their ageing but very expensive spine.

That said, Koloamatangi seems like the only big name 2nd rower they have.. Host surely expendable (off contract end of 2025), and Tallis Duncan is the gun I think they want to bring in more often., im sure I've missed a few..

We have 8 x 2nd-Rowers in our extended squad next year (depending what Sua and Eisenhuth do).
I'm surprised Tallis Duncan hasn't played more since he was good last year.
Hardly sighted this season.

Nich

Juniors
There is an article about Su'a in the Illawarra Mercury today if someone here can access it and post it here.
The eyes of the rugby league world remain fixed on Wayne Bennett in the wake of Jason Demetriou's sacking at Souths, but off-contract Dragons back-rower Jaydn Su'A says he's not preoccupied with his former coach's next move.
The 26-year-old produced a self-described "shit" showing when the Dragons faced Bennett's Dolphins six weeks ago, but has been in stellar form since, with the Red V faithful imploring their club to lock the Maroons Origin prospect down long-term.
There could well be a greater sense of urgency given the Rabbitohs decision to sack Demetriou this week, with the Mastercoach the favourite to replace him from 2025 when his finite deal with the Dolphins concludes.
Su'A debuted under Bennett in the Broncos in 2016 and was lured south to the Rabbitohs to re-join his former mentor in 2019, reaching a prelim and grand final while making his Origin debut in the two years that followed.

Dragons NRLW coach Jamie Soward informs Bronte Wilson that she is now in line for a top-grade debut. Video: Dragons Media.
Plenty have pointed to a lack of punch and depth in the Souths forward pack to explain the Rabbitohs position at the bottom of the ladder this year.
It makes Su'A, who remains without a deal for next year, the ideal recruitment target should Bennett pick up the phone.
Su'A said on Thursday that hasn't been the case while confirming he's still yet to secure his future.
"I've got a personal relationship with Wayne, he's someone I've got a lot of respect for, but I haven't spoken to him in a long time," Su'A said.
"I made my debut under Wayne and JD (Demetriou) was our assistant coach, so I've known him [as well]ever since I came into this league. He's a good guy and he's a better coach, so I feel for him.

ADVERTISING

"I'm pretty close with a few of the Souths boys and I know they all feel for him as well, but my focus at the moment is this Sunday (against Cronulla) and doing whatever we can to get that one for the fans.
"I finally saw my manager this morning and we had a good chat. Obviously I'll leave [my future] to him to sort it out and deal with it.
"My job is to play footy and get wins for this club. We're four-and-four now and we're going up against the front runners this week in the Sharkies."
While Bennett is known for getting his man in the recruitment stakes, Su'A has expressed a desire to remain and Dragon, saying he's "loving" life under Shane Flanagan.
"Flanno's been really good, especially for me personally," Su'A said.
"He's really honest. He tells you things that sometimes you don't want to hear but sometimes it's what you need to hear. He's a coach I like playing for and a coach the boys like.
"He's good to get along with. Some of the stories I hear, back in the day he was a bit hard to talk to but he throws a lot of stick around now so it's been easy."
The Bennett factor aside, Su'A's value may only increase as the season progresses should he earn a Queensland recall, having last featured in the Origin arena in 2021. It's a return he admittedly covets.
"I played Origin a few years ago now and it's definitely something that I want to get myself back into," he said.

gen_204

"It's a game where all the best players in the game are playing and it's definitely something I want to be part of. The only way to be a part of that squad is to play well here and win games.
"Selection only comes with good performances and good form, and the big picture for me is finals footy. I want to be a part of those big moments and I want to play in those big games.
"That's something I care about and the only way to get there is by winning games week by week. That's the big picture."
Being on the wrong end of a 60-point pasting at the hands of the Roosters wasn't the best step in that direction last week, with Su'A saying his side needs to find a response in Sunday's local derby at Cronulla.
"It's hard, just getting rid of [the result]," Su'A said of the Roosters showing.
"Obviously we reviewed it and it wasn't nice. We've obviously pinpointed a few things that we need to work on and we've had a pretty tough week. It's the local derby, so tensions are going to be high regardless.
"It's going to be a tough job, there's no doubt about that. They've got an explosive back five that were ripping up last week. We did a bit of a video on them and we know it's going to be a tough game.
"We just really want to go out there and represent our club the way it should be represented."

SGMax

Juniors
I hope the Dragons are keeping an eye on Stephano at WT... he is exactly what we need.
He is like a taller, bigger/stronger, more agile version of Frank Molo. Reminds me of a tank.
He is still quite young so I expect he will get even better.

If we can also nab NAS from the Storm then even better for impact.

Other players I would target are Brimson who must be getting fed up with all the positional changes, and either of Staggs or Cobbo.
Wouldn't mind RCG from Parra if he was to get squeezed out.

I have a soft spot for Jai Field so maybe give him a chance as cover for our halves and FB if he wants to come home.
I had high expectations of him to be our next great 5/8 when I first saw him in the lower grades.

This is just a wish list and not based on any inside knowledge or upcoming availability.
We have to upgrade our squad every time there is an opportunity. Other teams are sounding out players still under contract and we have to as well.

I hope the Dragons are keeping an eye on Stephano at WT... he is exactly what we need.
He is like a taller, bigger/stronger, more agile version of Frank Molo. Reminds me of a tank.
He is still quite young so I expect he will get even better.

If we can also nab NAS from the Storm then even better for impact.

Other players I would target are Brimson who must be getting fed up with all the positional changes, and either of Staggs or Cobbo.
Wouldn't mind RCG from Parra if he was to get squeezed out.

I have a soft spot for Jai Field so maybe give him a chance as cover for our halves and FB if he wants to come home.
I had high expectations of him to be our next great 5/8 when I first saw him in the lower grades.

This is just a wish list and not based on any inside knowledge or upcoming availability.
We have to upgrade our squad every time there is an opportunity. Other teams are sounding out players still under contract and we have to as well.
Someone is going to pay too much for Stefano. I hope it's not us. He's a good player, but the salary cap means you need good players at the right price. There is an almost infinite gap between Payne Haas and Stefano. It's OK to pay Haas 1 million, but it's too much to give Stefano 800k. Have a look at Stefano playing against the blokes you want him to replace just a couple of weeks ago. I don't think he outplayed our middles that day.

Harry Bath

Juniors
Someone is going to pay too much for Stefano. I hope it's not us. He's a good player, but the salary cap means you need good players at the right price. There is an almost infinite gap between Payne Haas and Stefano. It's OK to pay Haas 1 million, but it's too much to give Stefano 800k. Have a look at Stefano playing against the blokes you want him to replace just a couple of weeks ago. I don't think he outplayed our middles that day.
he will next time they play

Saints are not the Bronco's unfortunately
OK.

Last time we played the Broncos our middles were Bird, Lawrie, F. Molo, M. Molo, Kerr, and Musgrove. All ran for more meters than the great Stefano in his last outing against the Broncos (last week).

I think Stefano is a good player, but he's not our saviour. He hasn't run for 100m in any of his last 3 games (one of those against us). If our starting prop had a stretch like that, people on this forum would be losing their minds, claiming that he was a reserve grader.