What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24000 Crowd, Well Done Melbourne

Scarves

Juniors
Todays crowd figure goes a long way to show the amount of incredibly good work the Melborne Storm RLFC has done down in Victoria.

That the Storm had so many young up starts playing in their team tonight plus the early injury to Aiden Tolman against a Warriors team with everything to play for... well this assists the argument that the hard work behind the scenes that promote player development and quality attitude is the key ingredient to winning premierships.

Yeah the recent uncovered facts show that over the last five seasons the Storm overpent the cap by 1.7 million (that's a rough average of $340K per season), I personally don't think this is the main reason for their success, I truly don't. This team is full of great players yeas, but most of these players were internally developed by the Club which has been seriously let down by a certain CEO and his cronies, most of these cronies aren't even at the club any longer, yet these players and the current people involved in the club are left to carried the burden and the stain that the cronies have left behind.

Well done Storm fans, stay loyal. I'm a Manly Warringah Sea Eagles supporter who has felt a strong recent rivalry with your club for the past 4 or so seasons. These the particular seasons under review. I began to feel a heated hatred for your club because of our rivalry, but after tonight I have a new found respect for you as supporters. You showed me you are not merely "Johnny come lately's" that most of us NSW people think you are. I have a new respect for the majority of good people who administer your club, the true supporters and current and past players within your club.

I now understand that your club in reality represents high quality people, high quality attitude and excellent performance but unfortunately the Storm name has been unfairly tarnished by some terribly rotten eggs. These bad eggs aren't true Storm people, I can now see that. Hell, the main dude behind this mess is an AFL interloper who showed by moving on to The Super 14 Rebels that he NEVER truly had Rugby Leagues best interests at heart anyway. Then asked for a quote, instead of taking responsibility, Waldron spins out the line "everyone's doing it", just bagging the whole league in an under handed dog act manner that has left the mess our game is in today. Brian Waldron doesn't care and he never cared for our game, his actions prove it, and you people of the Storm are paying for it and as a result of the punishments dished out the whole game is also bleeding badly.

Incredible crowd result tonight and on a Sunday afternoon in the heart of Melbourne on ANZAC day while other big AFL games took place during the the day. When I look at the big picture, yeah there is punishment, yeah there is deserved punishment, however this particular punishment dished out by the NRL goes a long way to damaging Rugby League as a whole, damaging the credibility of season 2010 and damaging the future of Rugby League in a necessary pioneering outpost.

Tonight once again proved the Storm Rugby League Club during an era soden with negative League headlines and scandals, while trying to grow in severely hostile territory, in a market that apparently would never love them, without live to air free to air TV coverage, without print media support, without local radio support and without a significant junior base, have indeed done some incredible work over the past 12 years.

Three Cheers from me.

FamilyFirst

Juniors
T
Tonight once again proved the Storm Rugby League Club during an era soden with negative League headlines and scandals, while trying to grow in severely hostile territory, in a market that apparently would never love them, without live to air free to air TV coverage, without print media support, without local radio support and without a significant junior base, have indeed done some incredible work over the past 12 years.
Three Cheers from me.

If they are so successful why do they have no live free to air coverage, no print media support and no local radio support? The only success they have has been on the field and they have done that by cheating and destroying the credibility of 5% of rugby leagues history.

This useless club has something like a 6 million dollar short fall that News has to make up because the Vics are so disinterested they can't break even with a population of in excess of 5 million people?

Crikey, if Melbourne is a success, what qualifies as a failure?

FF

little_aza

Juniors
If they are so successful why do they have no live free to air coverage, no print media support and no local radio support? The only success they have has been on the field and they have done that by cheating and destroying the credibility of 5% of rugby leagues history.

This useless club has something like a 6 million dollar short fall that News has to make up because the Vics are so disinterested they can't break even with a population of in excess of 5 million people?

FF

Steve Fielding, at it again... :crazy:

thorson1987

Coach
Todays crowd figure goes a long way to show the amount of incredibly good work the Melborne Storm RLFC has done down in Victoria.

That the Storm had so many young up starts playing in their team tonight plus the early injury to Aiden Tolman against a Warriors team with everything to play for... well this assists the argument that the hard work behind the scenes that promote player development and quality attitude is the key ingredient to winning premierships.

Yeah the recent uncovered facts show that over the last five seasons the Storm overpent the cap by 1.7 million (that's a rough average of $340K per season), I personally don't think this is the main reason for their success, I truly don't. This team is full of great players yeas, but most of these players were internally developed by the Club which has been seriously let down by a certain CEO and his cronies, most of these cronies aren't even at the club any longer, yet these players and the current people involved in the club are left to carried the burden and the stain that the cronies have left behind.

Well done Storm fans, stay loyal. I'm a Manly Warringah Sea Eagles supporter who has felt a strong recent rivalry with your club for the past 4 or so seasons. These the particular seasons under review. I began to feel a heated hatred for your club because of our rivalry, but after tonight I have a new found respect for you as supporters. You showed me you are not merely "Johnny come lately's" that most of us NSW people think you are. I have a new respect for the majority of good people who administer your club, the true supporters and current and past players within your club.

I now understand that your club in reality represents high quality people, high quality attitude and excellent performance but unfortunately the Storm name has been unfairly tarnished by some terribly rotten eggs. These bad eggs aren't true Storm people, I can now see that. Hell, the main dude behind this mess is an AFL interloper who showed by moving on to The Super 14 Rebels that he NEVER truly had Rugby Leagues best interests at heart anyway. Then asked for a quote, instead of taking responsibility, Waldron spins out the line "everyone's doing it", just bagging the whole league in an under handed dog act manner that has left the mess our game is in today. Brian Waldron doesn't care and he never cared for our game, his actions prove it, and you people of the Storm are paying for it and as a result of the punishments dished out the whole game is also bleeding badly.

Incredible crowd result tonight and on a Sunday afternoon in the heart of Melbourne on ANZAC day while other big AFL games took place during the the day. When I look at the big picture, yeah there is punishment, yeah there is deserved punishment, however this particular punishment dished out by the NRL goes a long way to damaging Rugby League as a whole, damaging the credibility of season 2010 and damaging the future of Rugby League in a necessary pioneering outpost.

Three Cheers from me.

That's good to here champ. And its even better coming from a Manly supporter.

FF

YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Steve Fielding, at it again... :crazy:

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Dragon

Coach
*cough* 90k at AFL pies v bombers

Just thought id put it in perspective to those who think Melbourne actually gives a sh*t about the storm, or RL in general.

thorson1987

Coach

Just thought id put it in perspective to those who think Melbourne actually gives a sh*t about the storm, or RL in general.

You do realize that that is one of the biggest games on the afl calender.

So 24000 to show up at etihad was a great effort.

TimmyB

Juniors
Awesome crowd. The salary cap breach has been a catastrophe for the game.

Having said that, this ugly, ugly side of the game has also illuminated the very best. Ex Melbourne players flying to speak, the playing squad standing shoulder to shoulder and best of all the Storm fanatics steadfastly supporting their team in a time of crisis.

A quick look at the stats suggests that aside from the game against the Dragons a couple of weeks ago, it's the best regular season crowd in Melbourne for a number of years. The best possible result.

big_matt

Juniors

Dont recall the dragons getting 90k either (or 24k against the warriors to be honest). Does anyone give a sh1t about them? Hilarious how the people normally on these boards saying "you cant compare league with afl crowds" are now laughing at the storm for not matching one of the biggest crowds in australian sporting history.

Dragon

Coach
Dont recall the dragons getting 90k either (or 24k against the warriors to be honest). Does anyone give a sh1t about them? Hilarious how the people normally on these boards saying "you cant compare league with afl crowds" are now laughing at the storm for not matching one of the biggest crowds in australian sporting history.

And?

Aren't we forever hearing about how Melbourne is the sporting capital of Aus? Or that it will 'rally behind the storm'

Yeah 24k is absolute shyte after 12 years and millions of dollars invested. Its actually pathetic and an embarrassment to this proud game. If a Syd/Bris team got done for what the storm did and sent out the call to arms, you would see 60k +, espescially on ANZAC day... Actually, we've seen hundreds of thousands marching for Souths, so do us all a favour and f*ck off.

And any other club supporter actually applauding anything to do with Melbourne should be bloody ashamed. Feel sorry for their fans? Just look at the sh*t threads started by them tonight

Last edited:

Y2Eel

First Grade
And?

Aren't we forever hearing about how Melbourne is the sporting capital of Aus? Or that it will 'rally behind the storm'

Yeah 24k is absolute shyte after 12 years and millions of dollars invested. Its actually pathetic and an embarrassment to this proud game. If a Syd/Bris team got done for what the storm did and sent out the call to arms, you would see 60k +, espescially on ANZAC day... Actually, we've seen hundreds of thousands marching for Souths, so do us all a favour and f*ck off.

And any other club supporter actually applauding anything to do with Melbourne should be bloody ashamed. Feel sorry for their fans? Just look at the sh*t threads started by them tonight

Reading this crap made me feel bloody ashamed :roll:

24k is great for the storm it doesn't matter what ever crap you try to come up about it..

St George and the the Roosters should have been a sell out yesterday you should be more ashamed about it not....

And?

Arent we forever hearing about how Melbourne is the sporting capital of Aus?

Or that it will 'rally behind the storm' Yeah 24k is absolute shyte after 12 years and millions of dollars invested. Its actually pathetic and an embarrassment to this proud game.

36,212 for an anzac clash between StMerge, Chooks after a 100 yrs of league in NSW?

24K sounds pretty good considering fans had the option of throwiing their membership away and that Melbourne is a one team town.

Dragon

Coach
36,212 for an anzac clash between StMerge, Chooks after a 100 yrs of league in NSW?

24K sounds pretty good considering fans had the option of throwiing their membership away and that Melbourne is a one team town.

Yep you said it, a ONE TEAM TOWN. So they should avg something like Brisbane with all the success* they've had. Watch them drop like flies by the end of the year. I know its hard to admit but Melbourne is an utter waste of time for league.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
And?

Have you met Gaba at all?

Y2Eel

First Grade

90 k at the AFL game today and the Dragons and Roosters couldnt even get 40k that is terrible.. Even the Storm managed 24k and the Melbourne people dont even know what league is down there whats your excuse for the terrible sydney crowd?

Dragon

Coach
90 k at the AFL game today and the Dragons and Roosters couldnt even get 40k that is terrible.. Even the Storm managed 24k and the Melbourne people dont even know what league is down there whats your excuse for the terrible sydney crowd?

What excuse do you want? "oh RL should be stronger than it is!" or "oh the next TV deal will fix everything"... or maybe we should reduce the number of Sydney teams, starting with Parra.

Look as much as you guys dont like to admit it, league is still a fledgling sport, supported by few. But fans expect the world, brainwashed by commentators and cant think for themselves. Its easy to imagine a great comp with teams all over the country, massive player payments and angelic players, but that's not the reality.

The reality is 24k in Melbourne after 12 years is absolute shyte. Even with all their success* they still cant crack the 30k mark on ANZAC day. Sure, its an AFL town, and that is not going to change, even more so now. They are a drain on the rest of the comp plain and simple.

To think a thread would be created for this figure just shows how little progress has been made in Victoria. And the very premise of the thread has to be a joke.. 'stay loyal'. Well i look forward to be proven wrong in 19 weeks time. Lets see how many 'stay loyal' through this season and beyond

Last edited:

Y2Eel

First Grade
What excuse do you want? "oh RL should be stronger than it is!" or "oh the next TV deal will fix everything"... or maybe we should reduce the number of Sydney teams, starting with Parra.

Look as much as you guys dont like to admit it, league is still a fledgling sport, supported by few. But fans expect the world, brainwashed by commentators and cant think for themselves. Its easy to imagine a great comp with teams all over the country, massive player payments and angelic players, but that's not the reality.

The reality is 24k in Melbourne after 12 years is absolute shyte. Even with all their success* they still cant crack the 30k mark on ANZAC day. Sure, its an AFL town, and that is not going to change, even more so now. They are a drain on the rest of the comp plain and simple.

To think a thread would be created for this figure just shows how little progress has been made in Victoria. And the very premise of the thread has to be a joke.. 'stay loyal'. Well i look forward to be proven wrong in 19 weeks time. Lets see how many 'stay loyal' through this season and beyond

So your expecting the world atm arent you? Expecting the storm to achieve crowds of what? 90 k or 36 k?

Lets have a look at the Swans crowd they pulled 28 k for a one team town in sydney is that a bad crowd or not for a team thats been here for over twenty years?

The Fact is the storm play in an AFL mad town where the fans dont and wont accept other sporting codes, The storm have just been smashed from pillar to post in the media did anyone expect 10,000 fans to actually rock up i didnt...

The big thing now can the storm keep getting crowds of 15,000 to their home games this season especially at the new stadium...

Finally 36,000 to the Only Sydney game last night was pathetic i think we need to start a thread on that!

Y2Eel

First Grade

Ill take box 1....

Well explain to me why your Dragons game wasnt a sell out? Then you should be able to have a dig at the Storm.....

I hate the storm as much as the next bloke but far our hearing the crowds for these 2 games made me feel a little ashamed(for your two clubs) especially as though alot of non Roosters and Dragon fans would have shown up to this game like myself...

Whats your take on the raiders crowds aswell?

Dragon

Coach
So your expecting the world atm arent you? Expecting the storm to achieve crowds of what? 90 k or 36 k?

I would expect Brisbane like figures after 12 years and 3* Prems, so 40+k yes

Lets have a look at the Swans crowd they pulled 28 k for a one team town in sydney is that a bad crowd or not for a team thats been here for over twenty years?

Your point?

The Fact is the storm play in an AFL mad town where the fans dont and wont accept other sporting codes, The storm have just been smashed from pillar to post in the media did anyone expect 10,000 fans to actually rock up i didnt...
Actually from all the media reports i expected Victorians to turn up en masse.. i guess i was taken for a ride

The big thing now can the storm keep getting crowds of 15,000 to their home games this season especially at the new stadium...
Yeah 15k would be a start considering it costs 6mill per year + 5 wasted seasons. But hey, poor Melbourne right?

Finally 36,000 to the Only Sydney game last night was pathetic i think we need to start a thread on that!

I dont think this even needs addressing, plenty of threads on why Sydney averages less than Brisbane etc.

My main point is basically 24k is nothing to be proud of for a one town team, on ANZAC day, and basically i expected better tbh. If they packed out the ground tonight i would've sat up and thought yes we need Melbourne, and Melbourne need the Storm...but it wasn't to be.

Last edited: