What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

flippikat

Bench
As reported in this article the NRL commission meet on Wednesday June 26 (the day of Origin 2) to decide on expansion plans.

So.. what does everyone expect from this? Not just asking what you think will be decided - but how will the NRL deliver the message (and when?)

Will the NRL look to announce something the same day.. wait until the following day (to try not to overshadow Origin 2), or take time before announcing later?

Will there be leaks from the meeting?

Will leaks force their hand to publicly confirm plans earlier than they'd intended?

How do you see it playing out?

flippikat

Bench
Seems weird to meet on SoO game day.

There is literally hundreds of other days to do it?
Yeah, I guess because it's a good day out for commission members - plus the media will be buzzing around the game anyway.. so I guess if they were to make a snap announcement that afternoon they can do a big press conference quite easily.

Sure that would maybe take a bit of attention away from the game (which is why I think they might wanna wait until the next day?) BUT can you imagine the leaks & hearsay running wild if they don't come out with details soon after the meeting ends?

Canard

Immortal
Yeah, I guess because it's a good day out for commission members - plus the media will be buzzing around the game anyway.. so I guess if they were to make a snap announcement that afternoon they can do a big press conference quite easily.

Sure that would maybe take a bit of attention away from the game (which is why I think they might wanna wait until the next day?) BUT can you imagine the leaks & hearsay running wild if they don't come out with details soon after the meeting ends?
Be weird to hold it in Melbourne, where I assume they all will be, to announce nothing related to Melbourne RL at.

flippikat

Bench
I'm thinking they announce after the meeting, calling a press conference that afternoon to cut-down any leaks.

Perth Bears as team 18, debut 2027

Call for bids for NZ 2, bids to be in this year - decision early to mid 2025 - debut 2028 or 2029

PNG.. well.. hang on.. this is where the crystal ball is getting foggy.

mongoose

Coach
They will probably just announce Perth as team 18 but still no decision on what they will look like.

final say

Juniors
As the term " fast tracked " has already been leaked...in relation to NZ 2. That would be a logical conclusion. However, this could just be one meeting of many more to come- and that is my prediction, more nothing.

final say

Juniors
Seems weird to meet on SoO game day.

There is literally hundreds of other days to do it?
That's why I think it'll be just 1 meeting of many more, with no announcement.
Why would you detract from the buzz around origin?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth for team 18 in 2027 with details still to be worked through.
png entry for 2029

I think that will be it leaving team 20 tbc. I get the sense the nz2 option is no where near developed or discussed enough to confirm it and given it’s likely to not be until 2031 or 2032 there’s no rush to decide now.

flippikat

Bench
Perth for team 18 in 2027 with details still to be worked through.
png entry for 2029

I think that will be it leaving team 20 tbc. I get the sense the nz2 option is no where near developed or discussed enough to confirm it and given it’s likely to not be until 2031 or 2032 there’s no rush to decide now.
I wouldn't mind that.

I think the NRL need to park PNG - pending a rigorous look at the metrics (if not a complete re-think about whether it'll work AT ALL).

Perth makes sense & will work, that's surely got to be first cab off the rank.

docbrown

Coach
Odds for the 18th Expansion Team:
North Sydney Bears 1000000000000000000000000000 to 1
Pasifika Atlantika 1000000000000 to 1
Western Reds 10000000 to 1
Melbourne Rebels 100000 to 1
Perth - No Jets or Bears 10000 to 1
Western Force 5000 to 1
Singapore Aircraft Carriers 4000 to 1
Perth Bears Flying in Jets 2500 to 1
Hobart Hell 2000 to 1