What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

Diesel

Referee
This place is about to get busy. Is there a poll that can be added. Perth & PNG would be the only options for 18th, although we all agree PNG should be 20, if it happens

Can't bring in 2 New teams at once
60 player's needed
V'landys' turbocharged plan is setting the 18th and 19th teams up for failure.

What happens if the 18th team has difficulty recruiting players in its first few seasons?

Introducting a 19th team within 5 while the 18th is struggling would be disastrous for both clubs. Expansion markets like Christchurch and Perth cannot afford to have unsuccessful teams camped at the foot of the ladder.

shewi6

Juniors
1 day out from the meeting, here are my actual hopes/predictions of the outcome.

- 18th team to be announced to coincide with new tv rights deal, best case would be to come in 2027 with a little uplift to the end of this rights cycle.

- Perth to be the preferred location for a team, call for bids or a continuation of talks between all interested parties to come up with the best structure for the team (if it is to be the bears then 12 home games in Perth, non negotiable-dictated by nrl)

- Bring the WA government into the fold publically, announce their contribution
Minimum I believe required to secure the sustainability of a team would be, new west stand with corporate facilities and a capacity north of 25k, help with building a CoE and state level rugby league development facilites and lastly a multi year financial package to grow grassroots playing numbers and develop local talent to elite/nrl level.

- Less concrete announcement regarding the 19th and 20th teams but best case scenario would be for png to be put on the backburner and for the nrl to encourage bids from NZ and Bris3 to build their case for inclusion.
Timeline would be for the tv deal after the next one, preferably a staggered entry of '32/'33 to limit the years with a bye every week, ease the strain of fielding more players each year and also go for a little uplift at the end of a tv deal.

Vlad59

Juniors
V'landys' turbocharged plan is setting the 18th and 19th teams up for failure.

What happens if the 18th team has difficulty recruiting players in its first few seasons?

Introducting a 19th team within 5 while the 18th is struggling would be disastrous for both clubs. Expansion markets like Christchurch and Perth cannot afford to have unsuccessful teams camped at the foot of the ladder.
Potato!

t-ba

Post Whore
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

jim_57

Staff member
I'm more interested in;

What will be the kickoff times for a 10 game round?

Will there be any change to competition structure?

I think they’ll try to bring back Monday night for the 10th game, if not the 9th.

I’d go:
8pm Thursday
6pm & 8pm Friday
3pm, 5:30pm & 7:30pm Saturday
2pm, 4pm & 6:30pm Sunday

10th game floating between Monday night or one of the options opened by different time zones. Like 12pm Sunday in NZ or a late night game from Perth.