What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

docbrown

Coach
My agenda is what’s best for the game overall and for the generations ahead.

Not what a bunch of boomers on a forum want before they die and leave the rest of us with their mistakes.
Plot twist: Peter Vlandys has an LU account and he's regularly on here checking. He's going to award the team to the user who makes the most posts boosting their bid and shitting on all the others.

Perth Red is in the lead.

Matt_CBY

Juniors

V’landys will preside over a board meeting on Wednesday week – the day of Origin II – that shapes as one of the most historic conventions in the code’s 116-year history.
At that meeting, the ARLC board will mull over an expansion document which is likely to result in a call for three new franchises.
Following the meeting, the Commission is expected to call for expressions of interest from consortiums bidding to be part of a 20-team league, with their introduction to be staggered in the lead up to the 2032 Brisbane Olympics.
The existing 17 clubs will be included in the expansion process – and rewarded with extra grants totalling at least $60 million.
Western Australia is now the frontrunner to oust Papua New Guinea and be the NRL’s 18th team by 2027.

V’landys is keen for North Sydney to form a strategic alliance to launch the Perth Bears.
The ARL Commission’s June 26 meeting could see an 18th NRL team named for 2027, followed by a 19th franchise 12 months later.”

wgd

Juniors
Perth 2027
NZ2 2029
Brisbane3 2031

I honestly don't know where to put the PNG bid. For once I'm glad the NRL is getting some government support for a new NRL expansion team, even though others on here are angry about it. Our foreign aid budget is massive, according to this link it sits at around $4.77 billion for 2023-2024:

And that's for just 1 year. The PNG bid is $600 million over 10 years. So our foreign aid budget dwarfs the money being allocated for the PNG NRL bid. But I am fairly concerned about other factors that will affect the PNG bid such as security, being able to attract marquee NRL players, corporate investment and infrastructure.

And I am insanely angry about the NRL clubs wanting a slice of the $600 million pie. How can cashed up NRL clubs in a first world country like Australia expect even a dollar that is intended to help a club in a third world country like PNG? Is there no limit to Australian entitlement and greed?
Because PNG adds literally nothing to the competition. No TV dollars, no sponsorship. If they put in a PNG team over an Australian/NZ team that's fine, but the NRL clubs should be compensated for the lost revenue. Makes perfect sense to me.

Can somebody explain to me why Perth Red is anti-pokie dens, yet he's okay with a bunch of desperate people hocking all their possessions and getting predatory pay day loans from Cash Converters?
Because Western Australia is the only state that doesn't allow licenced venues, such as League Clubs, to carry gaming machines.

In other words, a Perth-based NRL team cannot make money from pokies but the other 16 In the country can.

Thus pokies are "bad".

Cash Converters preys on people with mental illness and addiction issues.

Marlins

Juniors
  • 2027 West Coast Pirates entry
  • 2029 South Island Keas entry
  • 2031 Brisbane 3 entry
Wont all be announced at once but I expect the pirates to formally be announced as the 18th team. What will also be announced is the
NRL’s plan to expand to 20 teams by 2032.

I’ve got the feeling the Bears are just being strung along atm and we won’t be seeing them in the NRL anytime soon. PNG will be strung along also but what will eventually happen is the money by the federal gov will go towards grassroots and a 2nd Qcup side. 2nd NZ side will be the 19th team but won’t be announced until next year at the earliest. Brisbane 3 will happen and will be run by East’s but who knows what the team will be called.

That’s what I’m hoping for anyway.

Brian potter

Bench
  • 2031 Brisbane 3 entry
Wont all be announced at once but I expect the pirates to formally be announced as the 18th team. What will also be announced is the

I’ve got the feeling the Bears are just being strung along atm and we won’t be seeing them in the NRL anytime soon. PNG will be strung along also but what will eventually happen is the money by the federal gov will go towards grassroots and a 2nd Qcup side. 2nd NZ side will be the 19th team but won’t be announced until next year at the earliest. Brisbane 3 will happen and will be run by East’s but who knows what the team will be called.

Should be but won’t be unfortunately.

• 2031 Brisbane 3 entry

I'll be happy with that. A second Queensland Cup team for PNG is better than one in the NRL. I'd base it in Lae.

Pippen94

First Grade
  • 2031 Brisbane 3 entry

Perth pirates don't exist in any form