What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Investec Test: England v Sri Lanka at Leeds Jun 20-24, 2014

Wato

Juniors
Outside of the series against India and the ashes win what are Cooks great achievements as a captain. In that India series Swann and Anderson bowled superbly and the pitches suited the England's style of play with tiring down the batsmen, KP and prior also had good a good series. Cooks issue is that on pitches that don't suit there game plan his been unable to adapt his tactics to suit the game and until he changes this England will forever be chasing the game instead of dictating terms to the opposition.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Agree with all of this 100%, but my point still stands in that KP doesn't give a crap about English cricket.

I don't really get all the Bell love either, he's a decent enough player who warrants his spot in the side but he's nothing amazing.

Hell I wish we had a couple more 'decent enough' players who averaged 45 with the bat. Is on a bit of a decline along with a number of English players though. But for the most part of the last 4-5 years he has been great.

Last edited:
What a finish! Jimmy Anderson gets out on the second last ball of the day after resolutely defending for 54 balls.

Congrats SL for the series win

Massive f**k you to foxtel. Both games were absolute crackers. I would've loved to have recorded them.

Great finish to the match with a ball to spare.
Sri Lanka fought back well and deserved their win. England have only themselves to blame. They started off well bowling SL out for 257 but their reply was short and Matthews blew them away with his knock.
Good on Moeen Ali for having a dig and remaining unbeaten on 108.

Timbo

Staff member
Echoing the f**k you to Foxtel. Sending them an email today to let them know that high quality international cricket is one of the main reasons I subscribe, and since I couldn't watch this I'm wondering if there's a point to me continuing my subscription.

Great series, well done Sri Lanka. Although, again this highlights the f**king futility of a 2 test series.

JJ

Immortal
Wow!

All series should be 3 or 5 tests - while there's no great side in the world at the moment, in the last 2 years or so we've seen some of the most exciting/enthralling tests I can recal

TheParraboy

Staff member
He is going through a bad patch right now. I think he will eventually bounce back with the bat. You don't make over 8000 runs being a mug. He is very frustrated right now and his footwork is all over the place.
He won't have a series like he did in Australia in 2010 but he will get back into the runs.
I think if he did resign from being captain his game would improve but I don't see it happening Bell is not keen on being captain.
As well as after the Lords test match England were very close to a win and half way through this match they were ahead so despite the calls from Boycott and others I don't think Cook will resign or get pushed.

Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar etc...all 10,000 plus run scorers, the vast majority would rank them all better bats than Cook , were a shadow of themselves in their last 2-3 years.
Cook needs to go, woefull captain, declining bat. Great comedy value though hope he sticks around till the 2015 ashes at least. Warnie is gonna have a field day :D

....and lol poms, well done SL truly deserved against a negative and piss weak so called test side

TheParraboy

Staff member
Wheres our mates Leeds wanker and Tommy "only here when we win" Smith?

Just like their side, weak as piss

jargan83

Coach
Not a fan of Foxtel not showing this series and all I have relied on is articles and updates on Cricinfo throughout the series. I think I'll shoot an email at Fox as Cricket is a big reason for my subscription as well.

A huge well done to Sri Lanka on the series win but as other have said 2 Test series are just plain stupid. Should be a rule that they should be at least 3 Test series.

A big thank you to Alistair Cook for providing the laughs as well.

undertaker

Coach
Not a fan of Foxtel not showing this series and all I have relied on is articles and updates on Cricinfo throughout the series. I think I'll shoot an email at Fox as Cricket is a big reason for my subscription as well.

A huge well done to Sri Lanka on the series win but as other have said 2 Test series are just plain stupid. Should be a rule that they should be at least 3 Test series.

A big thank you to Alistair Cook for providing the laughs as well.

I thought Foxtel broadcasted all test series in England.

Last edited:
Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar etc...all 10,000 plus run scorers, the vast majority would rank them all better bats than Cook , were a shadow of themselves in their last 2-3 years.

I have never said nor thought Cook was a better batsmen than those players.
Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar were in all their mids 30s once decline set in.
Unlike Kallis who got better in his mid 30s.

Cook is only 29 and has time on his side to bounce back with the bat.
I think the series against India at home should be the final chance he gets.
He needs to score a century or 2 and have a couple of 50,60s scores to keeps his spot in my opinion. As well as win or draw the series.
If he can't do that on home soil then he should go.

jargan83

Coach
I thought Foxtel broadcasted all test series in England.

I think that Fox told the ECB to get stuffed because they gave next years Ashes series to Channel 9 exclusively. (Well I read a post of two suggesting that in the first Test match thread)

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Can't blame fox there, the BCCI probably want gold carrat dollar bills in the millions.

Latest posts