What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 Player Votes v. Cowboys

Roy Rover

Juniors
3- Tom LL - signing of the year - our best since Shif and proabably the best sigining in the comp this year full stop.
2- Phil - like LL is in another class to most of our side. You know when he's on the park there's a chance we'll make a line break.
1- Carney - Gotta give it to him for the field goal. Here's hoping it does wonders for his confidence.

schnitzel

Juniors
A lotof teams kicking themselves right now about not signing TLL...most of all Broncos!!!
Carney has proven he's got what it takes at this level, a good controlled game and big kahunas to call the ball and kick the winning goal...Niel Henry would be rubbing his hands about next year!

BradtheRipper

Juniors
"i didn't think it went over" toddy son, what the f**k has elliot done to your confidence. yes he needs the time and heartache of weekin weekout 1st grade to break on through. the extra time and space playing 5/8 helped him.
don't know why we can't tackle for each other like that each week. smithy would not have made those uptempo tackles last night. they would have ran 2 in through him and he would have given away 5 penaltys. they should have a picture of smithy giving away another penalty on the cigarette packets. lol smithy and toots are done. cant keep up with the game these days. phil is farkin class. like having another individual 5/8 out there if nothings doin. still thought fundamental howl errors was costing us and hodgo. howl is no go. but is go again cause of the victory. if we lost he should be dropped. but another suck later on elliot will have howl stay on the bench and marshall onto wing. lol
stay green
bradtheripper

Kris_man

Bench
Scoddy said:
3 - Badger - Lousy 10m and allowing slow motion play the balls
2 - TLL - Best forward on the field
1 - Graham - Integral to our backline moves
Wtf, are you a geese?? That was one of the fastest games I've seen all season. Our play-the-balls were slow at times, but getting dominated in tackles = slow play-the-balls, that's got nothing to do with the ref.

woodgers said:
Graham - A top finisher...apparently he was a PL player 2 weeks ago....
He's much more than that.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
3 points - TLL was a tank out there future rep player!
2 points - Graham best back since Mullins
1 point - Howell I was a doubter but I’m starting to believe
I really like his running style too

legend

Coach
I simply do not understand what people see in Howell. For every one thing he does right, he does two things wrong. He made two crucial errors last night that could have cost us the game and made a blunder against the Knights that did cost us a try.

I can bank on Howell to stuff up at least twice a game which at NRL level is unaccpetable.

Sure he can catch a high ball, but he can't break the line with his slight stature and is hardly an excellent finisher.

IMO, Howell would not start in any other sides bar the Raiders and Souths yet we make him out to be some sort of rock solid player when he is anything but.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
legend said:
I simply do not understand what people see in Howell. For every one thing he does right, he does two things wrong. He made two crucial errors last night that could have cost us the game and made a blunder against the Knights that did cost us a try.

I can bank on Howell to stuff up at least twice a game which at NRL level is unaccpetable.

Sure he can catch a high ball, but he can't break the line with his slight stature and is hardly an excellent finisher.

IMO, Howell would not start in any other sides bar the Raiders and Souths yet we make him out to be some sort of rock solid player when he is anything but.

Yes, you make your feelings very clear.

Look, pop over to NRL.com and check out his stats - 106 meters, 9 tackles, no misses, a kick in play, an error and a try. Now, find a back that did significantly better. Howell was certianly in the top few, anyway.

As for not being able to make a line break, I`m not sure you it was that burst through the Cowboy`s side to feed a ball to Graham to score, but it sure as hell looked like Howell.

Give the guy a chance. There is so much time spent on these pages rubbishing players that I think we get a little fixated on it. I don`t think that Howell is the best player out there by any means, but he does the job and I don`t see many better options. Hell, even the `Elliot`s-an-idiot-promote-Ale-yesterday` mob seem to have come to realise that he`s far from a better choice.

Why don`t we all stop bagging Elliot and our favourite whipping boys for a week or two and give a fair, rational and reasoned analysis on their next couple of games. We might even be surprised.

Raider Azz

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:

Look, pop over to NRL.com and check out his stats - 106 meters, 9 tackles, no misses, a kick in play, an error and a try. Now, find a back that did significantly better. Howell was certianly in the top few, anyway.

As for not being able to make a line break, I`m not sure you it was that burst through the Cowboy`s side to feed a ball to Graham to score, but it sure as hell looked like Howell.

Give the guy a chance. There is so much time spent on these pages rubbishing players that I think we get a little fixated on it. I don`t think that Howell is the best player out there by any means, but he does the job and I don`t see many better options. Hell, even the `Elliot`s-an-idiot-promote-Ale-yesterday` mob seem to have come to realise that he`s far from a better choice.

Why don`t we all stop bagging Elliot and our favourite whipping boys for a week or two and give a fair, rational and reasoned analysis on their next couple of games. We might even be surprised.
well said mate. couldnt have said it any better.

i think withers is another one who cops plenty of unfair critism.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Tokyo_Raider said:

Agree 100% Well said!

dubby

Bench
3.TLL, we all know why.
2.Mogg. The Egg is really stepping up!
1.Graham. That chip n chase....wow.

Off the record, i am surprised to see so many Carney votes. I thought his game was solid, not spectacular. He and Chalk bombed one try fighting over the ball and his attempted tackle on Cooper was bloody woeful. His field goal was a ripper tho!

I would give Toots a point over Todd.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
I think Carney is getting a point for his field goal. I`m re-watching the game now, and there is really very little that he did otherwise. Solid, as you say, but a fair few mistakes and not really in the top 3 players in the side.
Top goal, though!!

dubby

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:

I agree with your points on bagging. I think it stems mostly from the fans being frustrated at losing so often. It gets ridicules though when certain players make the same errors over and over, thats where guys like Legend, woodgers and R69 and myself get fed up. I am not a Howell fan, he was solid on saturday but he made errors that COULD have cost us, but they didn't. He always rushes up, he isn't that quick BUT like you said, he's a better choice than others. Thats a worry.
However, I would be annoyed if Frawley was dropped for him.
TR, i think you have a sense of maturity that some of these younger guys lack. FOr the larger part, most guys here are young and get very emotional and that shows thru on their posts. My advise is: don't argue with them. I have tried the same appraoch dude, and there are a few like us who try and support the team that is selected as opposed to the team we want selected. :)
Its refreshing to read a post that isn't a whinging post though...

dubby

Bench
Tokyo_Raider said:
I think Carney is getting a point for his field goal. I`m re-watching the game now, and there is really very little that he did otherwise. Solid, as you say, but a fair few mistakes and not really in the top 3 players in the side.
Top goal, though!!

Would you say he had a fairer chance to kick because the Cows would have been expecting Shif or Linc to kick it? Not trying to discredit the kid, it was a bloody good kick!

edabomb

First Grade
I'll always give a point if someone has a direct influence on the win/loss like Carney did. However I think he is getting the rave reviews as some people have to back up their continual hype of him, he really didn't do that much else. There is a lot of talk about how much better our attack looked with him, but in the previous two weeks we've only scored 27 points....

He is finally showing some signs in firsts though.

edabomb

First Grade
thickos said:
Thanks again everyone for voting in a rather scrappy affair this week! The results were as follows:

Ian Hindmarsh - 39 votes
Luke Davico - 26
Ruben Wiki - 24
Michael Robertson - 19
Joel Monaghan - 3
Adam Mogg - 2
Mark McLinden - 2
Brad Drew - 2
Ben Cross - 2
Terry Campese - 1

as such, the 2004 SGB Player of the Year votes go to:

Ian Hindmarsh - 3 points
Luke Davico - 2
Ruben Wiki

updated ladder can be found at http://www.geocities.com/sydney_green_brigade/sgb_poty.htm

thanks again!

This is interesting though. Two years ago Brad Drew kicked an outstanding field goal in the corresponding match and polled only 2 points in the POTY voting. IMO this shows how attitudes towards players influence the voting, as many people were anti-Drew by this stage.

Latest posts