What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 cheers for Melbourne

Dani

Immortal
jesus, why cant we be given time?
7 years is not enough in such a tough market.
usually i wont bite at bait like this, but you people have no idea how sad it is to go to EVERY home game, like myself, and see a great team play a great game, only to be cheered on by 6000-odd people, then to have to listen/read tripe like this.
give us time, thats all we need

oh and isnt it funny how these issues only come up when storm seem to be doing well on field?

Surandy

Bench
mickdo said:
Souths are nearly last. Storm are in the top 4.

And Souths were playing the Sharks, surely some people in Sydney actually travel across town to see their team play? Two Sydney sides and they only get 7,500?

Why are Storm's crowds being criticised again? How many Raiders supporters travelled 8 hours to see their team play in Melbourne?

El Diablo

Post Whore
LESStar58 said:
How about Jake Webster you f**king moron! And Timana Tah while I think of it. Sure he's overrated but he was raised here!

Tahu was born there and played all his League in Newcastle.

perth sharkie

Juniors
Dog-E said:
Do u think WA still has the core RL support to support a team?

And this is NOT a facetious question - it's an honest one!

Not any more sadly. The NRL have lost the WA market.

RL was a popular sport here in the early 1990s (behind AFL). But after the Western Reds were dropped, the sport has since struggled and soccer and rugby union have filled the void, leaving RL a distant fourth among the football codes.

Now there's no more room in the market for a RL team in WA, but had the Reds not been dropped, things may have turned out differently. I think the Reds would've gotten bigger crowds than the Storm currently get if the NRL/ARL persisted with the team. :(

perth sharkie

Juniors
lotti said:
they might, see the Sharks game in perth?

There is no way that the Sharks would relocate to Perth (and rightly so). There were more Warriors fans at the Perth game than Cronulla supporters, despite it being a Cronulla "home" game.

There was more than that at the game Chemical... and what about the contest they ran where someone at random got selected to sit in the caravan on the track fully catered for the game... and a bloody Raiders fan won it

flamin

Juniors
lotti said:
1 of the reasons is Delta Goodrem, the Swans are her favourite AFL team.

Forget Delta - when you read the paper it's almost like every freakin' celebrity in NSW goes to Swans games.

Speaking of Melbourne juniors, have a look at Jeremy Smith currently playing for the Norths Devils in the QRL. Debuted last season and scored a try on 1st touch, tough fast forward who played junior league with the Altona Roosters before moving north. Listed a few times as the 18th man this season, only missing out due to returning regulars.

oxenham

Juniors
Everyone down south seems to forget what a great wealth of talent is in the Norths Devils club in the Brisbane competition. This is a great breeding ground for young kids of which nearly all go to the Storm ( eg Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis)and is a great incentive for many kids as they know that the Broncos and Cowboys are not the only avenue into the NRL.

I am a loyal Storm supporter and have been going since 98...the crowds have been pathetic this year and Olympic Park has no atmosphere...Brian Waldron is not the saviour we thought he would be.

Add Johnson, Bell, Kaufusi, Friend, and Glen Turner for current Storm players picked up from the Devils. Johnson was a second rower there. That makes 9 of the top 25, 10 if you count Jeremy Smith.

People keep saying we don't have any juniors, well, Norths Devils are owned by the Storm and the kids there are completely under the Storm development system. Anyone who's suggesting that the Storm should have a completely Melbourne based system under 10 years is kidding themselves because the reality is the VRL is in no position to provide NRL level players and any junior from the VRL competition still needs to go to the QRL to progress to that level.

As for Waldron, so far there's no sign of improvement under his management (backwards if anything) but I'm prepared to give him another season at least.

Are you channeling undertaker mike? :lol: :lol: he's the only one I know who keeps spelling DJ's last name Johnstone despite several corrections :p