What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Level suspensions

johns_reds

First Grade
With all the talk this week about Jamie Lyon and Dallas Johnson possibly missing the State Of Origin due to suspensions it's in my opion that I think there should be 3 level's for suspension.

The first being club level, second level being State of Origin and the third level being International.

This works well in other competitions such as European football (soccer) whereby there is suspensions for club/europe/international, so if someone gets a red card in an international match it doesn't effect his club when playing the local league, the same goes if they get a red card or suspension in a european competition (e.g. champions league) it would not effect the local league and vice versa.

I think this would be a great idea for Rugby League, why should your state suffer because you were suspended at club level? the same goes if a player is suspended from an incident during the state of origin series why should he miss a game or two for his club? he should miss the next origin match not his next club game, the same goes for internation matches

I think this would be better for the game rather then they way the suspensions work now.

skeepe

Immortal
I think two levels would suffice - NRL-sanctioned matches, and international matches.

A suspension counting for Origin is fair enough, but there is ABSOLUTELY no way an NRL suspension should rule a player out of an international.

lockyno1

Post Whore
No thank you. It is pretty simple- don't do anything stupid a week before Origin. Now I feel for both Lyon and Johnson but dead set if you do stupid things like that you deserve to be punished. One level of suspensions is fine and it works.

skeepe

Immortal
I disagree locky. I don't think it works fine when you can have a player suspended from, say, representing New Zealand when the offence they committed was in an Australian domestic competition.

johns_reds

First Grade
yeah but jamie's points have carried over from england? totally separate from the nrl, why should it count towards the nrl point system?

The Preacher

First Grade
IMO there should be a stay of procedings for people suspended in club games, so they can play the rep game they've been selected for, and then start their suspension.
The same way as jockeys are allowed to honour bookings they've taken for races in the next seven days before they start their suspensions.

johns_reds

First Grade
locky: i disagree as well, on international i think suspensions should be totally separate from the nrl, two different comps,
skeepe: i can see where your coming from as they are both sanctioned by the nrl but i think the state of origin should be separate from clubs as they are two different teams, not connected by any means at all

lockyno1

Post Whore
skeepe said:
I disagree locky. I don't think it works fine when you can have a player suspended from, say, representing New Zealand when the offence they committed was in an Australian domestic competition.

Here may be a crazy suggestion..put the onus on the players not to do dumb things and be suspended FFS. You do the crime, you do the time. It is that simple. As it is the suspensions are not that long anyway, if anything they need to be increased for certain offences.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The Preacher said:
IMO there should be a stay of procedings for people suspended in club games, so they can play the rep game they've been selected for, and then start their suspension.
The same way as jockeys are allowed to honour bookings they've taken for races in the next seven days before they start their suspensions.

That is probally the smartest thing said on here. Start their suspension after the origin match. I do not however want 3 suspension levels..as it is the NRL stuffs up under one level!

johns_reds

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Here may be a crazy suggestion..put the onus on the players not to do dumb things and be suspended FFS. You do the crime, you do the time. It is that simple. As it is the suspensions are not that long anyway, if anything they need to be increased for certain offences.

maybe if they do somthing totally dirty like eye gouging or doing a hopoate etc. then yes, maybe suspend them from international and domestic games, but if it is somthing like a careless high tackle that they didn't mean because the guy was falling etc. that should not effect all levels of league representation imo

lockyno1

Post Whore
Why should they be able to go out making high tackles. Look I feel for Dallas, hell I am a Qlder but he did him him high. Unfortunately as harsh as it is, he should have been smarter and not hit him high. Should have been cautious going into the match on monday and it is a harsh lesson that he needs!

Encurly

Juniors
I don't think the multi-level system would work for league - there's not enough rep level games to warrant it. Can you imagine a serious offence in a SOO game, say one that receives a 12 game suspension? That would rub the player out of SOO for 4 years!

Here's an alternate scheme, though. Many times people have suggested that we should take into account the importance of a game - that missing a SOO or Grand Final is a harsh punishment for a relatively minor offence. How about giving a weighting to select games - say SOO, Tests and Finals series games - so that each of these games was worth 150 judiciary points instead of 100.

So, in Lyon's current case for instance, he has 112 points for early guilty plea, or 150 if he fights the charge and loses. With the weighting in place, if he pleaded guilty he'd be able to play for NSW, then serve his suspension in the next Manly game. If he fought the case and lost, he'd be suspended from the NSW game, but would have 0 carryover points instead of the 50 he'd have if he'd been suspended from a club game.

You could take it further and make pre-season trials worth only 50 or 75 points to reflect the lesser importance of those games.

Usual rules of having to be already selected in a rep squad to serve the suspension would apply. Non-test internationals would probably remain as 100 points.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
f**k you're a hypocrite locky - no more than 24 hours ago you were saying that both should exercise a loophole, serve it for the Round 10 game and be able to be named for the Wednesday. You're a joke.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As for this Lyon matter - they can argue the "he's missing the Manly match so that counts as suspension" - that's utter crap. He's out of that game because he's been selected for Origin - suspension doesn't enter into it. He's only eligible for ONE match this coming week - and that's Origin. Suspended? Yes, for Origin.

innsaneink

Referee
Dodger said:
As for this Lyon matter - they can argue the "he's missing the Manly match so that counts as suspension" - that's utter crap. He's out of that game because he's been selected for Origin - suspension doesn't enter into it. He's only eligible for ONE match this coming week - and that's Origin. Suspended? Yes, for Origin.

:crazy:

agree

JoeD

First Grade
Haha this is funny coming from aussies. Kiwis have been royally screwed over the years. For a while in the mid nineties it was almost guaranteed a couple of kiwis would be missing from tests due to nrl suspension.

johns_reds

First Grade
JoeD said:
Haha this is funny coming from aussies. Kiwis have been royally screwed over the years. For a while in the mid nineties it was almost guaranteed a couple of kiwis would be missing from tests due to nrl suspension.

I'm not just saying that SOO and NRL should be separate, i mean that International be separate as well.

but after reading some posts i'm starting to come around that NRL + SOO should be the same but i still believe that international matches should be seperate suspensions.

skeepe

Immortal
johns_reds said:
I'm not just saying that SOO and NRL should be separate, i mean that International be separate as well.

but after reading some posts i'm starting to come around that NRL + SOO should be the same but i still believe that international matches should be seperate suspensions.

Agree wholeheartedly, and said as much in my initial post. I cannot think of a single sport in the entire world that have domestic suspensions count for test matches, other than rugby league.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
IMO

a player suspended in a club match, should be ruled out from club fixtures only.

a player suspended in a SOO game, should be ruled out from SOO and club fixtures.

and a player suspended in a test, should be ruled out from all levels of RL.