What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations Final - Australia vs England

bigfoot

Juniors
Lewis, Slater and Thurston have had strong games.
Glad to see that someone noticed how good Lewis played!

Was by FAR the best player on the field defensively IMO.

In everything, probably made about 200 tackles, all of them quality around-the-leg or ball-and-all tackles stopping England in their tracks.

Slater, Thurston, etc were amazing as usual. England just got tired in the end.

No idea what the hell is with Hodges being selected over Jennings, then playing 30 minutes touching the ball about 2 times then getting replaced by Gidley of all people? :lol:

user_nat

Coach
No idea what the hell is with Hodges being selected over Jennings, then playing 30 minutes touching the ball about 2 times then getting replaced by Gidley of all people? :lol:

You would think Hodges had to be hurt, cause Gidley was poor also.

Hallatia

Referee

In everything, probably made about 200 tackles, all of them quality around-the-leg or ball-and-all tackles stopping England in their tracks.
I thought Lewis was on fire, was suprised he still has it. The guy put in, he played a Hindmarsh-esque game and in my opinion had a big impact

Well done Australia. Boy there's some really classy players in their team. Some really great tries to watch. England looked good for 50 minutes but really ran out of puff after that.

bigfoot

Juniors
You would think Hodges had to be hurt
Yeah, you'd think.
But then again it might have just been an excuse to find a place for Gidley.

After all, he is not just a protected species, but is even praised as the best on the field by Sheens in the French game when he did nothing. :lol::lol:

Boganater

Juniors
f**k you trolls. Your metrosexual players are going to get crushed by the brute force of the English forwards.

I'm talking about multiple KO's, Australians left all over the park in a world of pain. You don't have what it takes. You aren't strong enough or big enough to hang with England.

Glass jaw Inglis will be gone soon. Expect someone to spark him clean out just like Origin 3. That woman beater is going to be HUMBLED and removed from the field.

That other son of a bitch Paul Gallen is going to get a few to jaw if he plays to. The filthy grub will wish he stayed at home. Ellis and Crabtree will find him.

Your entire team will feel the squeeze. The pressure the English team apply will be too much. Australia will crumble by half time.

You can not beat us. Australia are the worst team in the tournament bar France. It's laughable how the mighty have fallen.
It all came true :sarcasm:

8Ball

First Grade
I think I'm gonna jump on the Coach Shines wagon. Queensland's (and to a lesser extent Australian sides) 1 6 7 9 worked beautifully for years and years. Coach Shines comes in and completely changes the style we play and we look dead f**king ordinary (apart from the last 15 minutes when Australia basically seemed to revert to the Queensland style of attack).

And what the f**k is with that bench.. Gidley, 2 backrowers (why, when we have 3 backrowers in the starting side who can play 80 if necessary). We were absolutely killed in the forwards (thought Lewis had a very strong game though). Lucky that our backs are out of this world.

Last edited:

bigfoot

Juniors
And what the f**k is with that bench.. Gidley, 2 backrowers (why, when we have 3 backrowers in the starting side who can play 80 if necessary).
Couldn't agree more.
It seemed as though Sheens couldn't decide which backrowers to keep and which to drop so he tried to keep nearly all of them. :p

Last edited:

Squae

Juniors

Lewis did have a very good game, he did make a couple of crucial tackles. BUT, what about Gallens game.

Gallen topped metres on the paddock by miles & 2nd most tackles on the paddock as well. Also slows the play of the ball to a halt. The guy is a machine.

Congrats to the Aussies , the backline was all class in the 2nd half.

I thought the starting forward pack aimed up and dominated. The Aussies bench would have to be one of the weakest in history.

Burgess played well for the Poms , lets see if he can do that week in week out in the NRL.

8Ball

First Grade
Lewis did have a very good game, he did make a couple of crucial tackles. BUT, what about Gallens game.

Gallen topped metres on the paddock by miles & 2nd most tackles on the paddock as well. Also slows the play of the ball to a halt. The guy is a machine.

Also gave away some silly penalties.

8Ball

First Grade
The referee deserves a mention too. Terrible terrible game. I'd like to say which side he favoured more, but there were so many mistakes, that I couldn't tell.

aussies1st

Staff member
Couldn't agree more.
It seemed as though Sheens couldn't decide which backrowers to keep and which to drop so he tried to keep nearly all of them. :p

That's where a TLL would have come in handy, he can play front or second row just as well.

Hallatia

Referee
The referee deserves a mention too. Terrible terrible game. I'd like to say which side he favoured more, but there were so many mistakes, that I couldn't tell.
he definitely favoured Australia, but it did not majorly affect the game

thommo4pm

Coach
he definitely favoured Australia, but it did not majorly affect the game

Agree he didn't affect the outcome of the match.

England ran out of puff, but they went toe to toe with us for the first 65 minutes of the match.
They need more fitness and experience under duress.
Last year in Melbourne at the 65th minute mark England were already dead and buried....at least in todays match they stayed with us for the majority of the game.

mxlegend99

Referee
Lewis had an awesome game. Can't believe that anyone could not only disagree that he was good, but actually suggest he was poor. His defence was absolutely brilliant and I can easily see how someone else compared it to Hindmarsh. Was doing a lot of the cleanup work and he was nearly always first man in wrapping up the legs. He also did pretty well with the ball in hand making 80 metres of 8 runs. He was just that inch short of making a break or getting an offload away. Far from a great game in attack, but he was more effective in attack then any of our other backrowers and the only one that made more metres was Gallen.

Kurt Gidley had yet another average game with the only decent play he had being pretty much a copy of Jarryd Hayne earlier in the match... both plays being saved by the freakish ability of the Storm backs. That said his average game was still better then Justin Hodges who has done absolutely nothing all series. Although I was sort of hoping he would do nothing that game so that his selection ahead of Jennings wasn't justified.