What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 new Dragons on Legends Walk

Old Timer

Coach
Harry Bath, Barry Beath, Robert Stone, Ricky Walford would be my choice. Though Matt Cooper, Nathan Blacklock, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh and Jason Nightingale are also deserving imo.
My roughie would be my other favourite player from the '70s - Mark Shulman
I forgot about big bad Barry Beath and he is certainly deserving.

A truly great clubman who was there for the last year of the great run and the glorious dawning of Bath’s Babes.

No player put his nuts on the line for the club more than Barry.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Have to have Harry Bath; one of the most influential players and coaches both here and in the UK when their comp was superior to ours. Best player never to represent due to breaking his league playing for NSW before going to England for 10 years. Still came back and won 3 comps with us as a player and 2 as a coach. Can’t believe he’s not on it already!

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Nathan Blacklock is one of the few Dragons who I have had the opportunity to meet and one of my favourites. It was perhaps 5-6 years after he retired. He was speaking at a TAFE open day on the Mid North Coast. I was able to tell him that I was at Kogarah for his last game, that fantastic comeback game vs Manly(34-32?), last round, 2004. Blacklock was absolutely on fire in that last 25 minutes. Incredibly he was involved in all five tackles in one set of six.
Very generous with his time that day, very friendly. I was able to tell him I had been to Tingha to have a look at the pool he built for the town. He told me he was also involved in providing or upgrading the footy field there. Invited me to visit him next time I was in the New England.
What a legend!
If one was Blacklock it would have to be doing a flip.

getsmarty

Immortal
hornby-amp-son-10100316-i.jpg

DRAGONS

Premiership heroes inducted into Dragons' Legends Walk
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 9 May 2021, 12:18 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
St George Illawarra’s 2010 premiership-winning captain Ben Hornby and grand final teammates Ben Creagh and Jason Nightingale have been inducted into the Dragons “Legends Walk” at Kogarah, along with members of the club’s inaugural team of 1921.

Hornby, Creagh and Nightingale were chosen to join the 18 legends already inducted and the 1921 St George team in the walk outside Netstrata Jubilee Stadium as part of the club’s centenary celebrations at Sunday's match against Canterbury.

“This is a huge honour and something of which I am very proud,” Hornby said. “It’s a great achievement and a great acknowledgement for all of us here today off the back of all the effort and sacrifices we made as individuals, and as clubman.

“I was lucky enough to win a premiership, but this today is right up there as the best individual accolade I have received as a player.

“This club means the world to me and to be here today in the same area with Immortals of the game, other premiership winners and great Dragons men, is quite humbling.”

Hornby captained the premiership-winning 2010 side and also made three appearances for NSW and one for Australia during his 12-year first-grade career after coming through the junior grades in Illawarra.

remote.axd

Looking back at the 2010 Grand Final

He surpassed the great Norm Provan’s record of most first-grade games for the club in 2012 and finished his career having played a club record, 273 games.

The Legends Walk was officially opened on March 6, 2004 by Immortal Norm Provan and was established to recognise significant achievements and personal contributions to the success of the St George District Rugby League Football Club and St George Illawarra Dragons since 1921.

Creagh, a 270-game veteran, started his career as a winger for the Dragons in 2003, playing through until 2016 where he finished his career as a second rower. A Premiership player in 2010, World Club Challenge winner in 2011 and Club Captain from 2013-2015, Creagh also made 11 appearances for NSW and two for Australia during his career.

“It’s truly an honour and very humbling to be inducted into what is a very talented group,” Creagh said. “To be inducted today alongside two of my great mates also makes it that little bit extra special.

“To have my name etched in history at what is one of the most iconic grounds in Sydney is great, it is a really special place and I have many great memories here.

“The achievements of all the men in this group are incredible and I can’t express in words how proud I am to have been inducted.”

remote.axd

Dragons v Bulldogs - Round 9

Nightingale started his rugby league journey with Renown United in the St George competition and after making his NRL debut in 2007, went on to play 266 games, placing him third in line behind Hornby and Creagh in terms of club appearances.

A winger with speed to burn and an uncanny knack of finding his way to the try line, Nightingale represented New Zealand on 33 occasions and is one of only four players to have scored more than 100 tries for the St George Illawarra Dragons.

“It’s an extremely proud moment for me and my family,” Nightingale said. “As a local junior and someone who came up through the grades here at St George, it’s very humbling and I’m truly grateful.

“To be recognised in this way at a venue that I hold so close to my heart, is something that I’ll reflect on in a positive way for the rest of my life.

“The Legends Walk is an impressive set-up and to be here alongside a host of stars and legends of the club is something of which I am truly proud.”

St George District Rugby League Chairman, Craig Young, and one of the original Legends Walk inductees, paid tribute to Hornby, Creagh, Nightingale and the 1921 team.

remote.axd

Craig Young - Hall of Fame

“The 1921 team fought for so long to gain entry into the NSWRL Premiership and as a player and administrator, I really have the people involved in that team to thank for giving me the opportunity to be able to represent this great club,” Young said.

“The other three men speak for themselves and thoroughly deserve this honour. They epitomise everything this club is about and were all part of the 2010 Premiership winning side.”

They join Brian Clay, Mark Coyne, Reg Gasnier, Ken Kearney, Johnny King, Graeme Langlands, Eddie Lumsden, Matt McCoy, Noel Pidding, Norm Provan, John Raper, Rod Reddy, Kevin Ryan, Billy Smith, Robert Stone, Ian Walsh, Billy Wilson and Craig Young as members of the Legends Walk.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/09/premiership-heroes-inducted-into-dragons-legends-walk/

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Fabulous stuff. I'd also loved to have seen Blacklock added, but can't complain about these additions

the Legends Walk is a wonderful monument

denis preston

First Grade
Harry Bath, Barry Beath, Robert Stone, Ricky Walford would be my choice. Though Matt Cooper, Nathan Blacklock, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh and Jason Nightingale are also deserving imo.
My roughie would be my other favourite player from the '70s - Mark Shulman
Jesus, Mark Shulman !!! It would need to be the legends mile to this to happen !

denis preston

First Grade
hornby-amp-son-10100316-i.jpg

DRAGONS

Premiership heroes inducted into Dragons' Legends Walk
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 9 May 2021, 12:18 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
St George Illawarra’s 2010 premiership-winning captain Ben Hornby and grand final teammates Ben Creagh and Jason Nightingale have been inducted into the Dragons “Legends Walk” at Kogarah, along with members of the club’s inaugural team of 1921.

Hornby, Creagh and Nightingale were chosen to join the 18 legends already inducted and the 1921 St George team in the walk outside Netstrata Jubilee Stadium as part of the club’s centenary celebrations at Sunday's match against Canterbury.

“This is a huge honour and something of which I am very proud,” Hornby said. “It’s a great achievement and a great acknowledgement for all of us here today off the back of all the effort and sacrifices we made as individuals, and as clubman.

“I was lucky enough to win a premiership, but this today is right up there as the best individual accolade I have received as a player.

“This club means the world to me and to be here today in the same area with Immortals of the game, other premiership winners and great Dragons men, is quite humbling.”

Hornby captained the premiership-winning 2010 side and also made three appearances for NSW and one for Australia during his 12-year first-grade career after coming through the junior grades in Illawarra.

remote.axd

He surpassed the great Norm Provan’s record of most first-grade games for the club in 2012 and finished his career having played a club record, 273 games.

The Legends Walk was officially opened on March 6, 2004 by Immortal Norm Provan and was established to recognise significant achievements and personal contributions to the success of the St George District Rugby League Football Club and St George Illawarra Dragons since 1921.

Creagh, a 270-game veteran, started his career as a winger for the Dragons in 2003, playing through until 2016 where he finished his career as a second rower. A Premiership player in 2010, World Club Challenge winner in 2011 and Club Captain from 2013-2015, Creagh also made 11 appearances for NSW and two for Australia during his career.

“It’s truly an honour and very humbling to be inducted into what is a very talented group,” Creagh said. “To be inducted today alongside two of my great mates also makes it that little bit extra special.

“To have my name etched in history at what is one of the most iconic grounds in Sydney is great, it is a really special place and I have many great memories here.

“The achievements of all the men in this group are incredible and I can’t express in words how proud I am to have been inducted.”

remote.axd

Nightingale started his rugby league journey with Renown United in the St George competition and after making his NRL debut in 2007, went on to play 266 games, placing him third in line behind Hornby and Creagh in terms of club appearances.

A winger with speed to burn and an uncanny knack of finding his way to the try line, Nightingale represented New Zealand on 33 occasions and is one of only four players to have scored more than 100 tries for the St George Illawarra Dragons.

“It’s an extremely proud moment for me and my family,” Nightingale said. “As a local junior and someone who came up through the grades here at St George, it’s very humbling and I’m truly grateful.

“To be recognised in this way at a venue that I hold so close to my heart, is something that I’ll reflect on in a positive way for the rest of my life.

“The Legends Walk is an impressive set-up and to be here alongside a host of stars and legends of the club is something of which I am truly proud.”

St George District Rugby League Chairman, Craig Young, and one of the original Legends Walk inductees, paid tribute to Hornby, Creagh, Nightingale and the 1921 team.

remote.axd

“The 1921 team fought for so long to gain entry into the NSWRL Premiership and as a player and administrator, I really have the people involved in that team to thank for giving me the opportunity to be able to represent this great club,” Young said.

“The other three men speak for themselves and thoroughly deserve this honour. They epitomise everything this club is about and were all part of the 2010 Premiership winning side.”

They join Brian Clay, Mark Coyne, Reg Gasnier, Ken Kearney, Johnny King, Graeme Langlands, Eddie Lumsden, Matt McCoy, Noel Pidding, Norm Provan, John Raper, Rod Reddy, Kevin Ryan, Billy Smith, Robert Stone, Ian Walsh, Billy Wilson and Craig Young as members of the Legends Walk.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/09/premiership-heroes-inducted-into-dragons-legends-walk/
Brad Walter's description of Nightingales's "speed to burn " made me laugh. Very sloppy journalism.

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_7801.jpg

DRAGONS

Gallery: St George District's legends walk ceremony
Thu 13 May 2021, 01:20 PM
Share on social media
St George District Rugby League Football Club inducted three St George Illawarra players, along with the inaugural St George team of 1921 into their "Legends Walk" at Kogarah. Ben Creagh, Ben Hornby and Jason Nightingale were the players added to the list of 18 legends already inducted. Here are some of the best photos from the ceremony.

St George Dragons great Steve Edge was MC for the ceremony.

dsc_7692.jpg

Ben Creagh watching on from the stands.

dsc_7693.jpg

Jason Nightingale watching on

dsc_7694.jpg

Former St George Dragons winger Ricky Walford presents the Welcome to Country.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/13/gallery-st-george-districts-legends-walk-ceremony/

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_7697.jpg

Rugby League and St George Dragons great Craig Young.

dsc_7702.jpg

Steve Edge talks with Trish Davidson, granddaughter of Herb Gilbert (St George district rugby league's first-ever captain and coach), who acknowledged the 1921 inductees in honour of her Grandfather.

dsc_7708.jpg

Legends walk inductee Ben Hornby speaks to the crowd.

dsc_7714.jpg

Ben Creagh was all smiles while talking about being inducted onto the walk of fame.

dsc_7727.jpg

Ben Hornby and Ben Creagh look on proudly as their long-time teammate Jason Nightingale was announced.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/13/gallery-st-george-districts-legends-walk-ceremony/

getsmarty

Immortal