What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4TH ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Chester-le-Street Aug 9-13, 2013

TheFrog

Coach
The score is 3-0, England have won by 14, 347 and 74.

Only one was really close in the end you're getting desperate if claiming losing by 74 runs is "close".

The match was close fought until the last session.

One Test has been completely dominated by England, one somewhat dominated by Australia, the other two were close. Australia have given England plenty to think about this series, without being good enough (or fortunate enough with the weather) to get a win.

Whatever good fortune has been going in this series, has gone to the home side.

Red Bear

Referee
What the hell happened. Fell asleep when Warner and Khawaja were still in.

Well done England, deserved victors fo this series, Bell has surprised me coming off a long run of poor form, particularly when he's never really shown an ability to step it up against us before, but he batted really well all series (with another test to go as well).

Disappointing as hell tbh. I think we've been the better side for much of the third and fourth tests, but don't have anything to show for it (other than some positive signs about our lineup I guess).

I think we lost this test in our first batting innings tbh. We bowled well both innings again (not so much Siddle and Bird second innings) but after a great first innings bowling performance to be 4/70 odd was just not good enough, and despite the recovery we still only gave ourselves a small lead. Bresnan being given yesterday would've been interesting as well (not a bad decision, just genuinely one that could've gone either way).

I really hope we take good lessons from the last two tests. In Manchester we lost momentum when KP and Bell were scoring runs against Starc at will, and they eventually got too close to us for us to win (thanks to weather). In the first innings here there were periods where Trott and Cook looked absolutely set but, crucially, the bowling attack didnt give them anything, and on an unresponsive pitch they still couldnt get the scoring rate up. That constant pressure eventually lead to running through them pretty well thanks to good bowling from all.

I hope we go into the return series with some idea of what our best lineup is though, this has let us down big time this series (with Lehmann fresh in the job having to chop and change). Still huge question marks over Khawaja and Smith (although im happy for both to be given a bit of time). Warner batted well second innings, needs to keep that up. If his body can hold together Watson at six works as well.

FWIW I think our competitiveness in the first test has been over stated, we should've been smashed and two unexpectedly huge 10th wicket partnerships and we nearly pulled off a miracle. We didnt play particularly well. We've played very well for much of the last two tests though.

Red Bear

Referee
Clarke still has our best innings, at number four, and has a chronic back injury. It'd be nice if those around him scored some more frequent runs rather than expecting him to score every single innings.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I hope Australia improve for the Ashes on home soil, it's getting boring winning so easily.

Don't think you have a chance to be honest you can't bat under pressure, 4-0 England this series and 3-1 later in the year, easy easy.

The Australia cricket team is seen as a joke in this country now everyone mocks them, it's a sad demise from the once dominant force.

Where's Australia going to win a test?

How many centuries will Bell get in 10 tests?

Has 3 already - more than the whole Aussie side.

Liddell

Juniors
I hope Australia improve for the Ashes on home soil, it's getting boring winning so easily.

Don't think you have a chance to be honest you can't bat under pressure, 4-0 England this series and 3-1 later in the year, easy easy.

The Australia cricket team is seen as a joke in this country now everyone mocks them, it's a sad demise from the once dominant force.

At least you were closer than Botham.

Latest posts