What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th ODI: New Zealand v West Indies at Hamilton, Jan 8, 2014

vvvrulz

Coach
New Zealand will bowl.
West Indies missing half their side will probably get owned.

vvvrulz

Coach
Hmm maybe I should take that back, West Indies 33/0 (4.2 ov)
Away off to a good start, nice to see them showing some spirit.

vvvrulz

Coach
West Indies 51/0 (5.3 ov)

Powell shaking off some cobwebs 42* off 24 balls.
There are going to be runs today!

vvvrulz

Coach
Mills to Charles, FOUR, back of a length and the ball catches the outside edge to spoon way over the infield to the boundary near third man for four. I still can't believe that went for four runs

This sort of crap really annoys me.

Rod

Bench
Well Guptill has no choice this game, we need to be carving their nuffy bowlers from the very start to have a chance here.

Good to see some fight from the WI though, they batted brilliantly.

vvvrulz

Coach
Yeah great effort from the Windies, but I get a funny feeling NZ will still canter home.
Batting looked too easy out there, how they play Narine will be key.

Patorick

Staff member
Someone in the crowd finally gets the $100k!
176147.jpg

vvvrulz

Coach
New Zealand 45/3

Awful start, Bravo has really got his troops in the game today and it doesn't look like simply just favourable batting conditions.

JJ

Immortal
about time Ronchi did something...regardless, we're stuffed... fine performance by WIndies, and regardless of hostory fgavouring chasing, I'd always bat first if conditions are batting paradise, seldom do teams chase down these big scores... series gone for NZ, on the toss!

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
about time Ronchi did something...regardless, we're stuffed... fine performance by WIndies, and regardless of hostory fgavouring chasing, I'd always bat first if conditions are batting paradise, seldom do teams chase down these big scores... series gone for NZ, on the toss!

A toss we won too. It was never a bowl first pitch, and McCullum continues to prove why he's not a captain. He makes Cook look like a master tactician.

edabomb

First Grade
That batting lineup needs to be shifted IMO. Williamson is a 4 or a 5 - great for run gathering but not aggresive enough to be at 3. Taylor should be at 3 IMO.

Also McCullum is really screwing us over by occupying a top 5 spot. Simply not good enough - the rushes of blood to his head will never be gone if they are still there after 11 seasons.

JJ

Immortal
And Kyle Mills is one of the world's best opening bowlers in ODIs - he will still be around for the world cup, he should not ever bowl first change behind two relative numpties and be asked to bowl 5 on the trot at the end of the innings on a road

vvvrulz

Coach
I think the problem with McCullum is that he's taking the whole "aggressive and dynamic" approach a little *too* seriously and is always looking to try new things. Which is great if things are going against you and you want to throw something new into the mix, but with the West Indies with their backs to the wall there was no need to try anything funky.

But seriously lets not forget that WI put up an inspired performance and blew NZ out of the park.

I don't think the toss or Mills mattered.

edabomb

First Grade
And Kyle Mills is one of the world's best opening bowlers in ODIs - he will still be around for the world cup, he should not ever bowl first change behind two relative numpties and be asked to bowl 5 on the trot at the end of the innings on a road

Very strange the way Mills has been used recently. With Southee and McClenaghan - can we really afford to carry two bowlers that go for >5 an over? McClenaghan's wicket taking run some what justifies his 5.74 career RPO - but Southee going at 5.16 and averaging 31.8 must surely be under pressure to hold his ODI spot.

Last edited: