What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Test Side

Your choice? Mine would be (based on the need to win this game, regardless of experience or proven record and picked on just form)

Langer
Hussey
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Tait
McGrath

I think Warne needs to be promoted, he is our best batsman this series. But in all seriousness, I have my doubts about Hussey, I do hope I am proven wrong but I hardly think this is the stage for him to making his test debut, replacing Hayden AND opening the batting. Perhaps opening with Gilchrist could be wise, but then his form hasn't been that great and also puts strain on his keeping. If Aussies field first for 100+ overs, then Gilchrist has to open the batting, I think he will be drained. That said, I dont think Katich has the technique to open against the poms, and Clarke has an injury cloud still hovering over him. Also the whole left hander vs the swinging ball argument comes into play with Hussey, though it may not apply to him because I think technically he is more solid than Katich, Hayden and Gilchrist.

Symonds would offer strength in the field and his form recently has been very good. He also gives us that 5th bowler option and variety with spin and medium pace. He can also dominate an attack and turn a match very quickly.

Tait deserves to keep his spot because I think he bowled much better than Kasprowicz and was a shining light for Australia in the first innings, and he was also selected ahead of Kasprowicz for the test in the first place. He showed how he can produce the unplayable delivery amongst the boundary balls, and he was able to genuinely swing the ball both ways. McGrath will return.

After the test against the rest of the world side, Australia needs to clean out the elderly during the summer and start rethinking about the future. Dooseys like Gillespie and Kasprowicz have served Australia well, but this series has been a wake up call for Australian bowling stocks. We need some good youth, likewise with our batting.

Hussey
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
Mcgrath
Macgill

Time to go for the juggular. We need to win the match, so play the 2 leg spinners and a 3rd seamer to get the balance right.

nöyd

Staff member
croydon Dog food said:
Hussey
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
Mcgrath
Macgill

Looks fine to me, except I'd flip a coin to decide between Marto and Kat

aussies1st

Staff member
JoeysChiropractor said:
Langer
Hussey
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Tait
McGrath

That team would be the one I would go with. Symonds would be awesome for his big hitting and give us a 5th bowling option. Hussey no question should be in there somewhere. Katich saved his ass yesterday.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Parranöyd said:
Looks fine to me, except I'd flip a coin to decide between Marto and Kat

I agree but the selectors will go with Marto

Its a spinners wicket normally, but after we announce a team like that, the pomms can prepare a road and block us out

I'd save announcing the team till the wicket is prepared

tex

Juniors
We should keep the same side. We're playing brilliantly and would be 4-0 up were it not for poor umpiring. No need to change the team when it's not our fault we're losing.

PARANoIR

Bench
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Symonds
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Tait
McGrath

OR

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Watson
Warne
Lee
McGrath/Tait
MacGill

Red Bear

Referee
Langer
Hussey/Jacques(got no chance of getting the spot tho).
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Mcgrath(deserves the promotion)
Tait

Tommy Smith

Referee
GoTheBears said:
Langer
Hussey/Jacques(got no chance of getting the spot tho).
Ponting
Martyn
Clarke
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Mcgrath(deserves the promotion)
Tait
After Tait's dismissal you'd certainly think so.

What a catty way to get out. I dont like being hit on the body so i'll walk 2 yards across my stumps to get out of harms way.

Tommy Smith

Referee
tex said:
We should keep the same side. We're playing brilliantly and would be 4-0 up were it not for poor umpiring. No need to change the team when it's not our fault we're losing.
Hmmm, another quote for my sig!

Keep 'em coming, i'll have a whole catalogue full of whinging soon! Infact ive already got so many that they wont fit into the signiture space.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Mine may be a few surprises

1. Langer
2. M. Hussey
3. Katich
4. Ponting
5. Clarke
6. Symonds (as much as I bag him we need bowlers badly!)
7. Gilchrist (captain)
8. Warne
9. Lee
10. Tait/Macgill (depends on the wicket)
11. McGrath

12th David Hussey

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
1 thing i woudlnt do is play watson.

1) Langer
2) Hussey
3) Ponting
4) Martyn
5) Clarke
6) Katich
7) Gilchrist
8) Warne
9) Lee
10)McGrath
11)Tait

I want Symonds in the team but just am struggling to find a place for him

tiburon

Juniors
01. Langer
02. Jacques
03. Ponting
04. Katich
05. Clarke
06. Hussey
07. Gilchrist
08. Warne
09. Lee
10. Tait
11. McGrath

aussies1st

Staff member
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
1 thing i woudlnt do is play watson.

1) Langer
2) Hussey
3) Ponting
4) Martyn
5) Clarke
6) Katich
7) Gilchrist
8) Warne
9) Lee
10)McGrath
11)Tait

I want Symonds in the team but just am struggling to find a place for him

How about dropping Martyn? Have you seen the way he is getting out. Its like he doesn't give a toss about Aus.
Got himself runout by being lazy, gets out to balls that won't hit the stumps when there was no need for him to do that stuff considering Aus were in a slump already, and then there is Ponting's run out.

We lose our captain who was going to play yet another captain's knock and then he gets pissed off at the English and brings his image down and gets a fine. All because of Martyn. If he is selected again he better pull his head in.

aussies1st

Staff member
Article from http://www.smh.com.au/news/cricket/ponting-stands-by-his-men/2005/08/29/1125302507580.html
Ponting said Australia would be unlikely to alter their batting line-up, despite the fact that Hayden, Adam Gilchrist and Damien Martyn are all averaging less than 23. "It hasn't been spoken about in any selection meeting that I've had so far," Ponting said. "Obviously we've got to sit down and pick a team for the next tour game and a team for the next Test … The thing about our batsmen right now is it's not as if anyone is going through a really lean trot. Guys are getting 20 and 30 and 40 and getting out, which is fairly unusual for our players.

Unbelieveable. If we lose the Ashes Ponting, the Selectors are the ones to blame. Of course if they come of I will be eating humble pie.

Big Mick

Referee
but we wont win.

Thats the thing.

If Hayden and Martyn are in that team. We'll get hammered.

I still want Bracken over there to give a bit of variety in the attack. A lefty in swinger could cause problems for Englands batsman who appear comfortable with every bowler except Warne.

1. Langer
2. Hussey
3. Ponting
4. Katich
5. Clarke
6. Hodge
7. Gilchrest
8. Warne
9. Lee
10. McGrath/Tait
11. Tait/Bracken

nöyd

Staff member
Big Mick © said:
A lefty in swinger could cause problems for Englands batsman who appear comfortable with every bowler except Warne.

Agree 100%

aussies1st

Staff member
Bracken should have been picked in a 16 man squad at least that way we would have had another bowler which as we see now we badly need. Bracken is made for England conditions. If he can get 7/4 in Sydney imagine what he would have done in England.

Latest posts