What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 Debutants this year

eel01s

Bench
After watching the game and the disappointment at the way we played, I couldn't help but feel some optimism for the new wave of players coming through.

We have had 6 debutants this year, all of them played tonight:

Tanginoa
Toutai
Terepo
Periwhangi
Paulo
Pritchard

To my eyes, all but Periwhangi (however you spell it) have shown signs that they belong in first grade. I am especially impressed with Kelepi and Peni, I think both have been fantastic for us. Paulo was very good on debut tonight, and I am very happy with Ricky blooding these guys rather than bringing Ben Smith or Matt Ryan back into the side.

I am liking the thought of this pack next year:

Mannah
Pritchard/Keating
Moi Moi
Hock
Tanginoa
Mossop

Bench options: Lussick, Allgood, Terepo, Junior Paulo

With players such as Pauli and Masinamua also coming through, I don't think we will struggle up front anymore. Tanginoa and Terepo are big, strong and aggressive and are not taking a backward step to anyone.

Yes we are in hard times at the moment but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

For my money, Maitua, Joseph Paulo, Smith, Ryan etc. won't cut it.

eel01s

Bench
I really don't think we are that far away (I'm, serious!).

Yes we play incredibly dumb footy, give away too many penalties, and have no linespeed in defence. But, give these new guys some time in first grade to gain experience, add some more quality to the side (Hoppa, the two Poms hopefully and Norman) and we should see a much better team next season.

God help me if we don't improve!

Chipmunk

Coach
Periwhangi at this stage of his career isnt as good as Morgan and should not be in first grade if Morgan is fit to play.
Toutai for mine is a clone of Sio and I honestly think this is as good as you will ever see of him. Is and always will be a massive liability.
Tanginoa has been great and shows alot of potential.
Terepo reminds me of Weller Hauraki
Pritchard in his limited game time has showed plenty of promise. Certainly quite a bit to like.
Junior Paulo I am going to have see alot more of before I can judge as he showed nothing tonight to suggest anything either way on him.

I am going to put it out there though. If Sandow is our 7 and Keating our 9 next season, even with all the new players coming in, we will not make the Top 8.

Springs

First Grade
Yeah, or they could continually play in an awful side and lose confidence in themselves. Stuart brought up a lot of young players at the Sharks when they were going badly and it took quite a while for them to recover.

Eels Dude

Coach
Too early to get excited. If 2 or 3 of those players turn out to be first graders I'd say that's a good effort. None of them look like future stars IMO. Kelepi looks the most likely to become something special.

Utey

Coach
I'm actually surprised that Morgs has been kept out. Api looks like a capable depth player but Morgs looks to be a first grade centre most the time.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Morgs has been one of our most consistent players all year. And besides Hayne he should be the 2nd backline player picked.

yy_cheng

Coach
Besides the poor Completion of sets, as poo said about Ben smith, we do not keep the man on the ground long enough in the ruck. So the opposition gets up quick and are making in roads into our territory.

The young uns need to learn to wrestle

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Besides the poor Completion of sets, as poo said about Ben smith, we do not keep the man on the ground long enough in the ruck. So the opposition gets up quick and are making in roads into our territory.

When we do try we seemed get penalised more then other sides.

EelsFan05

Bench

I've seen a marked improvement in our guys willingness to wrestle this year. It seems that we can't hide it as well as the rest, because we get pinged early for it most games. The game was over last night after the first penalty. We tried to slow the ruck down a few times after and were penalised each time. From then on in the Dragons forwards ran all over us.

Noise

Coach
When we do try we seemed get penalised more then other sides.

It's because we need to wrestle more when the player is still upright rather than on the ground. Other teams are much better at this than us hence why we get penalized all game

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
Periwhangi at this stage of his career isnt as good as Morgan and should not be in first grade if Morgan is fit to play.
Toutai for mine is a clone of Sio and I honestly think this is as good as you will ever see of him. Is and always will be a massive liability.
Tanginoa has been great and shows alot of potential.
Terepo reminds me of Weller Hauraki
Pritchard in his limited game time has showed plenty of promise. Certainly quite a bit to like.
Junior Paulo I am going to have see alot more of before I can judge as he showed nothing tonight to suggest anything either way on him.

I am going to put it out there though. If Sandow is our 7 and Keating our 9 next season, even with all the new players coming in, we will not make the Top 8.

Agree with most other than the comparison Terepo to Hauraki, Terepo has far more potential.

Avenger

Immortal
Sandow needs a competent 6 to support him. Kelly has been awful this year. The problem is that Norman is a running type of 5/8th whilst I think we need an organising type to support Sandow.

I'd drop Kelly and put Paulo there for the rest of this year. I'm convinced that Docker Clay will eventually take over from Sandow. Cannot see him surviving under Stuart. I hope I'm wrong but Sandow is just too erratic and has shown little consistency and his defence although improving is still the worst in the comp.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah sandow isnt controling the game.Who knows maybe hayne and norman will be our halves with hoppa at fullback and sandow cut.I agree with paulo at 5/8.better player than kelly

Far Canal

Juniors
Terepo has been very impressive in the games he has played - he seems like he is always threatening to break the line whereas Tanginoa hits the line hard but doesn't seem to break it.

Periwhangi was awful last night - what the hell happened to Morgan?

TheParraboy

Staff member
After watching the game and the disappointment at the way we played, I couldn't help but feel some optimism for the new wave of players coming through.

We have had 6 debutants this year, all of them played tonight:

Tanginoa
Toutai
Terepo
Periwhangi
Paulo
Pritchard

3Ps and 3Ts

Latest posts