What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 ?

ozbash

Referee
Warriors coach Matt Elliott faces a selection headache for the season opener in deciding who to pick at halfback as a replacement for the injured Shaun Johnson.
Johnson is out for at least Saturday's season-opener against Parramatta Eels but could be sidelined for up to a month after hyper-extending his right elbow in the 16-10 trial win over Brisbane Broncos last weekend.
Pita Godinet excelled when he filled in.
But he has only eight games' worth of experience in the NRL and suffered a concussion last weekend.
Elliott confirmed Godinet was an option, but said he was prepared to look outside the square when deciding who would wear the No 7 jersey.
"We've got a few [options]," Elliott told Sunday News.
"Pita's performance on the weekend was outstanding but Feleti [Mateo] has got some experience in the halves and I even wouldn't hesitate at using Ben Henry there as well.
"Ben came through as a No 6 and I've got a high degree of faith in him and of his understanding of what we're trying to achieve collectively. His individual capabilities are right up there as well."
As exclusively reported in Sunday News last week, Elliott confirmed that the Warriors have shown an interest in former Canberra Raiders hooker Travis Waddell, who started for the Indigenous All Stars last month.
"That's something that's been raised.
"People are saying deals have been done, which is slightly premature," he said.
The reason the Warriors are looking at bringing in a hooker on the eve of the season opening is because of the uncertainty over when Nathan Friend will be available again.
Friend, who turned 32 on Thursday, had an operation last month to repair nerve damage on his shoulder and Elliott doesn't know when it's likely he'll be back playing again.
"The issue with hooker is that, with Nathan out for a question mark period, it's having a bit of depth there," he said.
"The young Siliva [Havili] has got a development process to get through, and if we started using him as our hooker we'd put him under undue pressure."
One piece of positive news on the injury front is that Sione Lousi may not be out for as long as was first feared.
It was believed Lousi ruptured one of his anterior cruciate ligaments in the trial against Gold Coast Titans, and would be out for six months, but that may not be the case now.
"Sione has been reassessed now and, fingers crossed, the likelihood that it is not as bad as first thought, but we're hoping that it hasn't clinically reproduced itself as it did initially.
"The prognosis on this is that it might end up being a lot better.
"But this is a part of reality and you tend to get your injuries when players first go into full combat, so let's hope that we've got our quota up now."
Meanwhile, having observed from the outside the axing of Benji Marshall as Kiwis captain this week, he is unsure how this will affect his playing ability at the World Cup.
"I have seen examples of that going both ways, where some people thrive with the responsibility," he said.
"If I look at the Australian cricket team, when they took the captaincy away from Ricky Ponting I felt his performances went backwards, because he's someone who wants that responsibility.
"But I have also seen the opposite with people, where the captaincy has moved from something that was an honour to being a burden.
"Once they've had it removed they start to play well again, so it will be down to Benji, I'd say."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8374661/Matt-Elliott-ponders-Shaun-Johnsons-replacement

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Pita Godinet excelled when he filled in.
But he has only eight games' worth of experience in the NRL and suffered a concussion last weekend.
Elliott confirmed Godinet was an option, but said he was prepared to look outside the square when deciding who would wear the No 7 jersey.
"We've got a few [options]," Elliott told Sunday News.
"Pita's performance on the weekend was outstanding but Feleti [Mateo] has got some experience in the halves and I even wouldn't hesitate at using Ben Henry there as well.
"Ben came through as a No 6 and I've got a high degree of faith in him and of his understanding of what we're trying to achieve collectively. His individual capabilities are right up there as well."

Umm what? Re Ben Henry??

Last edited:

Cheops

Juniors
Gee, I've been trying to give Matt Elliot the benefit of the doubt, but he's really making me nervous when he's already talking about playing Ben freaking Henry in the halves :crazy:

Rebel

First Grade
Gee, I've been trying to give Matt Elliot the benefit of the doubt, but he's really making me nervous when he's already talking about playing Ben freaking Henry in the halves :crazy:

I agree. The replacements are simple, but my god he is starting to make some really idiotic comments. Didn't he mention a while ago that ropati was an option in the halves?

And using 8 games as an excuse for not playing pita is ridiculous. How do you get experience without playing? I reeeealy hope Elliot is just a terrible public speaker and says comments out of turn and that dumb selections won't become a reality.

ozbash

Referee
Warriors standoff Thomas Leuluai admits his halves partnership with Shaun Johnson is still a work in progress, despite it being less than a week until their NRL opener against the Eels.
But the former Kiwis international is confident he and rising star Johnson will spark things up as the season grinds into gear, taking a simple, clear approach to their football.
Leuluai will likely play his first game back in Warriors colours since 2004, after signing from Wigan last season. He is expected to start at No 6 against the Eels in Sydney on Saturday night - where he will play a key role sparking the weapons-rich Warriors backline.
"It's going to take a while [with Johnson]. Those sort of things don't happen overnight," Leuluai told Sunday News.
"It's not just that - we've got a new hooker [Elijah Taylor] in there as well, who hasn't played too often at the position. It makes things harder - but we just have to keep things simple at the start of the year.
"We can't look for too many things too early. We've got a new coach coming in with a new system, and new style of playing, so there's a lot of new things we've been taking on board.
"We've got to keep it as simple as we can. If we defend well, we've definitely got a lot of talent to score points at the other end."
Johnson experienced a frustrating 2012 season, with his loss of form so dramatic towards the end of the year he was dropped for the final game against the Raiders. Leuluai is confident the one-test Kiwi can bounce back. He is also impressed with the War- riors' youngest attacking threats.
"I always find with players here at the Warriors, you don't have to do too much for them," he said. "Someone like Konrad Hurrell - he mostly does it himself. If you give him early ball, he'll have a good crack.
"We've got that talent, and big guys like Manu Vatuvei out wide. I'm honestly excited about what we've got."
Returning to Mt Smart Stadium and Warriors football for the first time in nine years, you'd expect the 27-year-old to be feeling a little nervous about his first hit-out back in the NRL.
Yet for Leuluai, league is league, and he just wants to get back on the paddock.
"We've had a really, really long preseason. Longer than I'm used to, that's for sure," he said. "It's going to be a tough challenge - but I'm looking forward to it."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8375203/Leuluai-Halves-partnership-a-work-in-progress

hitro

Juniors
has there been any official statement about Johnson? I havn't seen one and there isn't one on the Warriors website
I suspect it's the McIvors of this world making stuff up like dislocated elbow and out for 5 weeks...
Mole is usually right.
Otherwise I hope they use Mateo

_addict

Juniors
So after a wee sob and a pink frosting cupcake the princess is better again?

I hope so. I'd really like to see him have as much time as possible in the #7 with no disruptions and getting accustomed to directing this team.

Latest posts