What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7s- whats the point

With most clubs naming Nevilles and woodducks as their teams whats the point?
Why in the hell do we want to pay good money to see reggies or lower to play football
Of coarse the clubs want to protect their stars but this can happen at any game
Is asnyone else feeling cheated or are we happy to see nevilles in the team colours?
Sure they might make first grade later in the year but its the leagues first game in the new year and surely we could ste a limit of at least 4 first graders in the side and then if you lose a few-throw in the no-names for the 3rd place games
No wonder 9 wont show the games

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The idea was to give the international game a boost, that was in 1992, so people in Sydney would see other countries.

The Sevens last year was successful, they were brought back after a seven year absence. I know we're seeing a bunch of youngsters and nobody, but these clubs are giving the young guns a go, a chance to impress.

Nine couldnt give a toss about Rugby League, their coverage has been disappointed lately.

Im looking forward to see how the other countries go, France, Russia, Tonga, PNG and Fiji.

Once Dead

Bench
Holla if ya hear me said:
With most clubs naming Nevilles and woodducks as their teams whats the point?
Why in the hell do we want to pay good money to see reggies or lower to play football
Of coarse the clubs want to protect their stars but this can happen at any game
Is asnyone else feeling cheated or are we happy to see nevilles in the team colours?
Sure they might make first grade later in the year but its the leagues first game in the new year and surely we could ste a limit of at least 4 first graders in the side and then if you lose a few-throw in the no-names for the 3rd place games
No wonder 9 wont show the games

The only reason why it could be called pointless is because that certain clubs are treating a sanctioned competition with contempt.....i for one hope that those teams are not there next year, since they dont want to be....and that teams like Western Suburbs, Balmain, North Sydney, Newtown etc will be facing off with the heavyweights......but then again, i dont see a 7s happening next year due to these arrogant clubs fielding juniors for 'experience'.....yeah, experience alright all 1hr of it

If these teams want to play next year then they should have to go through a wildcard competition.....because frankly.....they have cheapened the game

Front-Rower

First Grade
Every single one of you that have posted a reply in this thread has missed the point of the World Sevens. Its not a fair dinkum game in which its a matter of life or death like a NRL comp game, but a game in which is supposed to be a bit of fun.

You don't see Gregan or Larkham playing for the Australian Rugby Sevens team now do you??

Lighten up and who cares about channel nine they have an obligation to show the cricket in Summer not rugby league. Its Fox Sports that should be given the right to show the World Sevens.

PB

Bench
Impellitteri said:
The only reason why it could be called pointless is because that certain clubs are treating a sanctioned competition with contempt.....i for one hope that those teams are not there next year, since they dont want to be....and that teams like Western Suburbs, Balmain, North Sydney, Newtown etc will be facing off with the heavyweights......but then again, i dont see a 7s happening next year due to these arrogant clubs fielding juniors for 'experience'.....yeah, experience alright all 1hr of it

If these teams want to play next year then they should have to go through a wildcard competition.....because frankly.....they have cheapened the game

I agree.

The one plus i guess that could come out, would be that people begin to taker a better interest in their lower grade players and get out to grounds and support them, and other Prem league and Jim Beam Cup teams.

Matt M

Juniors
Front-Rower you have missed the point. If you see fun as watching second rate sides play in what is supposed to be a comp with NRL sides well then thats up to you, personally I would like to see full strength sides. If this tournament is to be successful then the teams must put in their best sides.

Gregan and Larkham don't play for the Union 7's because they DO take it seriosuly, they have a proper squad seperate to the Wallabies that trains together so they can get the best results. And comparing them is pointless, union sevens is a very big part of rugby union, whereas in league it isn't as big.

I agree with Impellitteri, if you don't want to put your players in it then don't, there are plenty of other teams that would love to.

Once Dead

Bench
Matt M said:
Front-Rower you have missed the point. If you see fun as watching second rate sides play in what is supposed to be a comp with NRL sides well then thats up to you, personally I would like to see full strength sides. If this tournament is to be successful then the teams must put in their best sides.

Gregan and Larkham don't play for the Union 7's because they DO take it seriosuly, they have a proper squad seperate to the Wallabies that trains together so they can get the best results. And comparing them is pointless, union sevens is a very big part of rugby union, whereas in league it isn't as big.

I agree with Impellitteri, if you don't want to put your players in it then don't, there are plenty of other teams that would love to.

Now, there's an educated and informed rebuttal if i've ever seen one....logic, doesn't seem like certain CEOs nor teams have that

Once Dead

Bench
Japan, NASCA Aboriginal All Stars, and Italy are teams which wouldn't treat this competition like The Bulldogs have......i say, since they pulled this stunt, these teams should be replace by those such as i listed

In-goal

Bench
Shame bulldogs shame they should ban them from the competition and let in another nation.

Bring back England 2003 finalists

Front-Rower

First Grade
Impellitteri can I ask you why you think these teams would not put in second rate players? Its because they have no second rate players, the players they already have are probably the only players they got.

And too Matt M you are entitled to your opinon, but if teams like Brisbane played a full strength squad would you want to see Webcke running around in a sevens game?

SEVENS is a game for fast runners not super talent. You pick the fastest palyers u have who can tackle a bit but run. People who go to the Sevens want to see TRIES not tackling.

If they want teams to take it more seriously they should be playing it in March just before the season. Promote it as the season start and I bet clubs will take it more seriously. But in January it's not on. I love league as much as the next bloke and go to around 45-50 games a year. But I can tell you the 7's do not offer me a great reason to go.

But in March as a lead into the comp with 9 covering all three days like they used to and teams fielding proper sides. Well that is a different story.

Phillips

Referee
the world sevens are great, not only can clubs show off some of there younger talent but its exiting to watch

thuganomics

Coach
yea, well, if i were a dragons supporter (thank god im not) i would put my reseve tam on, seems they have a bad run with injuries in world seven, most recently Barrets injury

Once Dead

Bench
Front-Rower said:
Impellitteri can I ask you why you think these teams would not put in second rate players? Its because they have no second rate players, the players they already have are probably the only players they got.

And too Matt M you are entitled to your opinon, but if teams like Brisbane played a full strength squad would you want to see Webcke running around in a sevens game?

SEVENS is a game for fast runners not super talent. You pick the fastest palyers u have who can tackle a bit but run. People who go to the Sevens want to see TRIES not tackling.

What YOU fail to see is the fact that these players actually want to be there and it would be a little more interesting than watching a Flegg Bulldogs team run around.......you fail to see that the NASCA All Stars are an excitement machine showcasing Aboriginal talent and that teams like Italy, Balmain, Wests, Norths and Newtown would actually bring back some of the fans that have been lost to the game throughout the years, even for one day

Tell me how many Dogs fans are gonna show up to cheer on the Flegg team they've put on? Not as many as would when they played their full strength

Err, Matt M isn't saying what you say he is.....he's not saying to play players like Webcke.....but he's not saying choose flegg flyers either

Front-Rower

First Grade
Thats fine, they can be there and play I have no worries about that. But in you bagging these blokes who play flegg and so forth don't they have just as much right in wanting to be there as say a Barret of Johns??

In putting down a range of high profiled players you have just bagged the entire future of Rugby League. I'd rather see these guys get a go in a joke around pre season kick and giggle game who WANT to be out there to impress then high profiled players doing cause they are told to do it.

Once Dead

Bench
Front-Rower said:
Thats fine, they can be there and play I have no worries about that. But in you bagging these blokes who play flegg and so forth don't they have just as much right in wanting to be there as say a Barret of Johns??

In putting down a range of high profiled players you have just bagged the entire future of Rugby League. I'd rather see these guys get a go in a joke around pre season kick and giggle game who WANT to be out there to impress then high profiled players doing cause they are told to do it.

Mate, these guys will have their turn if they are the 'future of rugby league'........these flegg guys dont need the exposure yet, they havent earned the right.......they are Flegg players and this is a competition for NRL clubs ok......they only reason why they want to be out there is to have their 15mins of fame and to get their mugs on tv so they can brag about scoring a 25m try against Newcastle......for no other reason

Front-Rower

First Grade
Well if its a competition for NRL clubs, whats Russia and NZ doing in the competition???

But Isn't that what every player will do? brag about running around 7 players and out sprinting them to the try line. This isn't first grade rugby league my friend, its a pre-season exhibition tournament for rugby league. No one is going to remember who won the world sevens when the winners of the first grade rugby league grand final hold up the trophy now will they??

Sevens is all about fun and players having a good time entertaining the crowd. No one wants to see boring hit em up style games in sevens. The young blokes at least will throw the ball around and give the crowd someting to go crazy over.

Once Dead

Bench
Front-Rower said:
Well if its a competition for NRL clubs, whats Russia and NZ doing in the competition???

But Isn't that what every player will do? brag about running around 7 players and out sprinting them to the try line. This isn't first grade rugby league my friend, its a pre-season exhibition tournament for rugby league. No one is going to remember who won the world sevens when the winners of the first grade rugby league grand final hold up the trophy now will they??

Sevens is all about fun and players having a good time entertaining the crowd. No one wants to see boring hit em up style games in sevens. The young blokes at least will throw the ball around and give the crowd someting to go crazy over.

You know what i mean...........and it seems that we have our own opposite opinions so i'll lay it to rest.....you've made your case...i've made mine.....we clearly disagree.......lol

But Flegg players are impressionable.....they do not need big heads.....if they get them when they blitz the 7s they will not be the future.....they will be future never weres

aqua_duck

Coach
Front-Rower said:
Thats not true, Nathan Hindmarsh got player of the tournament last year and he's not super fast although you could say he is pretty talented. Waisele Serevi, the best 7's player in the history of rugby 7's was not super fast either. Sevens is about instincts, footwork and thinking fast. I've always rated a fast brain more highly than fast legs.

Latest posts