What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

80% of available practice time spent on defense/wrestle

T-Boon

Coach
I have heard clubs/players/coaches proudly talk about this.
I think that is a disaster for the game and needs to be addressed somehow.
We need a set of rules where if you are a coach/club that does that your team is going to lose and you are going to lose your job.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Professionalism has made the game more defense based. As well as the training aspect, the bigger and fitter players become, the more it helps defending. It is easier to hold a line than it is to break a line if both sides are improving at the same rate. The game peaked in the 90s and 00s when attack was at its most skillful but before the average player turned into a 6'3 110 kg athletic freak that can run for 80 minutes. Wingers today are bigger than props of the old days.

Clubs have spent the bulk of their training on cardio work and defence as it is the hardest aspect of the game. Jack Gibson built his sides on defence and that is what they worked on. This was news in the early 1970s, not so much now.

McNulty

Juniors
We can all thank Melbourne for that. I’m sure Alex McKinnon is grateful too - poor bloke!

T-Boon

Coach
How about when possession changes both teams replace their players?

That way one half of the squad trains in attack and the other half defence all week.

Should revert to four tackles as well.

American football is the only football code I know of that has managed to keep itself from becoming paralyzed by defense (while at the same time keeping defense a thrilling part of the game).

The_Frog

First Grade
Clubs have spent the bulk of their training on cardio work and defence as it is the hardest aspect of the game. Jack Gibson built his sides on defence and that is what they worked on. This was news in the early 1970s, not so much now.
Jack's very first coaching gig was the '67 Roosters. Under him they went from conceding 84 tries in '66 to conceding 27 in the 22 regular season games. Their tries scored was 2nd lowest in the comp but it was enough to get them into the top 4.

There was a centre/lock at the fledgling Sharks that year named Warren Ryan taking notes.

The_Frog

First Grade
American football is the only football code I know of that has managed to keep itself from becoming paralyzed by defense (while at the same time keeping defense a thrilling part of the game).
Number of tries 2019 (25 rounds, 192 games): 1225 (6.4 per game)

Number of tries 2020 (20 rounds, 160 games): 1166 (7.3 per game)

Number of tries 2021 (25 rounds, 192 games): 1558 (8.1 per game)

That's an increase of 27.2% in two seasons. Whatever the game is being paralyzed by, it isn't defence.

Billythekid

First Grade

How can you possibly use the NFL as a positive example considering how slow and stop/start the sport is?

Also it's a pretty funny time to be bringing up this same tired old complaint after a season where all anyone has done is complain that scoring points has been too easy.

Bazal

Post Whore
Yeah well I've heard that it's actually only 43% defence.

Then 30% attack, 27% Advanced Hair and 10% just for the boys.

T-Boon

Coach
Also it's a pretty funny time to be bringing up this same tired old complaint after a season where all anyone has done is complain that scoring points has been too easy.
Have people made that complaint? I know there were a lot of complaints about lop sided scores.
That seemed to be the result of PVL making a rule change (6 again) that was maybe the wrong rule change but was deemed necessary as a result of defense being too dominant.
I am just gob smacked that even the most rusted on fan isn't well and truly over bomb sets and totally predictable attack.

stryker

First Grade
Professionalism has made the game more defense based. As well as the training aspect, the bigger and fitter players become, the more it helps defending. It is easier to hold a line than it is to break a line if both sides are improving at the same rate. The game peaked in the 90s and 00s when attack was at its most skillful but before the average player turned into a 6'3 110 kg athletic freak that can run for 80 minutes. Wingers today are bigger than props of the old days.
That’s due to the amazing advances in PED’s.

Latest posts