What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A bit of a marketing idea for the Eels

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
I have been thinking lately about how AFL clubs (like Collingwood which I support) have so many members which helps them to stay financially viable. Now I know the NRL is trying to emulate something like this for all their clubs. I am a massive supporter of the Eels but can only get to a limited number of games due to distance so a season ticket is a waste of money for me but I would like to help the club financially.

The idea I propose is say a 5 game a year membership in which you can choose the games of your choice you can make it to. The membership would cost around $150 and you could also get a cap and t-shirt or what ever. I havent really thought about the exact deatails but it would be a great idea for country or insterstate supporters. Also it could somehow include away games. Say for instance you are a parra Supporter living in Brisbane it could include the Bronco's and Titans games up there. Also if clubs could get together they could offer discounts for opposing fans to their home games. For instance if you were a Parra supporter living in NZ you could get a discount to the Warriors Parra game. I think it would help the clubs and boost crowd numbers

I know there are a few people on this forum that have links to people within the club so if they want they can forward this idea to those people or can forward the idea to the club as a whole. I also wanted to gauge the reaction of fellow supporters to this idea.

Suitman

Post Whore
A very good idea, although it would need the support of ALL clubs involved.

I think it could work though.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
sounds cool - I know the sydney kings basketball have a reduced season ticket type thing where you get a seat for about 6 games (well they used to - not sure how much choice u have on which games tho)

altho it might be hard to organise logistically if you need to have seats reserved at more than one venue

The Colonel

Immortal
I think the club had a occassional season ticket a few years ago..... don't quote me on that but I think it was a six game pass......

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
strider said:
sounds cool - I know the sydney kings basketball have a reduced season ticket type thing where you get a seat for about 6 games (well they used to - not sure how much choice u have on which games tho)

altho it might be hard to organise logistically if you need to have seats reserved at more than one venue

With this idea you won't need to keep the seats reserved. It is still first in best dressed. You would take your memebers ticket to Ticketek or the game and if the game was not sold out you got your discount or your free game

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
The Colonel said:
I think the club had a occassional season ticket a few years ago..... don't quote me on that but I think it was a six game pass......

What about the discount to opposition games. If all clubs got involved it would definately help crowd figures

The Colonel

Immortal
As a season ticket holder you'd receive the same discount I would think - I don't know too much about it to be honest.

Hellsy

Immortal
MITS, Jess, Rowdy and I are including something like this ino our report to the board already I think

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
Hellsy said:
MITS, Jess, Rowdy and I are including something like this ino our report to the board already I think

Great. Thanks. That is what I was after.

As peeople have mentioned though it will be hard for Parra to do on their own. They will nedd the assistance of the other clubs. Maybe it is more an idea for the NRL

Hellsy said:

Indeed. Modelled on some AFL club experience.

All of which would then be complemented by and After Match function at the Away States as well as at home allowing the fans to mix with the players.

The Tigers also have the same thing, something like a country or Interstate pass, for $100 I think you get 3 home games, a cap and the card. You have to notify the club 4 weeks in advance of the game you want to go to I think is one of the stipulations. If not filled for the game I think they go on sale to the General Public.

T-BONE MCGRAW

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:
Indeed. Modelled on some AFL club experience.

All of which would then be complemented by and After Match function at the Away States as well as at home allowing the fans to mix with the players.

The Tigers also have the same thing, something like a country or Interstate pass, for $100 I think you get 3 home games, a cap and the card. You have to notify the club 4 weeks in advance of the game you want to go to I think is one of the stipulations. If not filled for the game I think they go on sale to the General Public.

If you are after a specific club have a look at what Collingwood do with thier memberships (http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=membership)http://www.cfc.com. They have about a heap of different types of memberships which cater for all ages, budgets and requirements. Most of their supports seem happy with those membership types and they have around 40,000 members

Hellsy

Immortal
Oh we have been scouring all the websites of all clubs in AFL/NRL/Union/Soccer etc etc we have an awful lot of info, it is just a matter of having time to cut it all down and put it in a report.

It will be hard for Parra as the seats will have to be left spare in anticipation that the part-time STH will come.... if they don't then that is not a bum on the seat/through the turnstile.

We quite frequently sell out games, or come close to capacity with only sh*tty seats left and a STH may not want to be allocated a sh*tty seat.

The AFL clubs have bigger stadiums to play with in most cases

T-BONE MCGRAW said:
If you are after a specific club have a look at what Collingwood do with thier memberships (http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=membership). They have about a heap of different types of memberships which cater for all ages, budgets and requirements. Most of their supports seem happy with those membership types and they have around 40,000 members

We are looking at Collingwood, St Kilda, Hawthorn and a few others for some ideas. Then the final report is compiled and submitted Ia m sure it will be accessible from LU.

Hellsy

Immortal
THE North Queensland Cowboys are aiming to do things even better by their supporters, thanks to a relationship with AFL powerhouse Collingwood.

An 'exchange of ideas' between the marketing arms of both clubs continued with Collingwood membership manager Anthony Trainer visiting Dairy Farmers Stadium yesterday.

Cowboys commercial general manager Terry Johnston said as the Cowboys sought to 'grow their brand' there was no better place in Australian sport to look for advice than Collingwood, with their almost 40,000 financial members.

"They've got the massive membership base and we're growing and trying to be an innovative club, we want to try and improve the experiences of our season ticket holders," Johnston said.

"We've got the second largest number of season ticket holders in the NRL and thought we'd speak to the guys at Collingwood and see how they could help us.

"If you look at the Collingwood website there's a number of different membership packs, different levels of membership, corporate membership.

"We've been having a look at our offerings and just weighing up how we move forward."

The NRL recently launched a campaign encouraging rugby league fans to become financial supporters of their clubs.

AFL clubs last year outstripped NRL clubs in membership by 550,000 to 50,000. Johnston believed the Cowboys were well-placed to build on a current uptake of almost 8000 season tickets.

"I think in Townsville, having the second highest number of season ticket holders, the platform's there," Johnston said.

"There are nearly 8000 season ticket holders and that's after our ninth-placed finish last year.

"After our grand final (in 2005) we had just under 8200 season ticket holders, so we're on track to surpass that total."

Trainer admitted to surprise at the low level of club memberships in the NRL as compared with the AFL.

"That does surprise me, but in the NRL there's probably never been a big push," Trainer said.

"But the Cowboys are a progressive club and they're obviously looking to increase their current membership base even further."

Trainer said the relationship between Collingwood and the Cowboys promised to be mutually beneficial.

"The Cowboys, in the short period they've been in the NRL, have done a fantastic job," he said. "They're streets ahead of some other sporting bodies and they're only in their infancy.

"If we can assist, get information that we can cross-reference, that we and the Cowboys can have benefit out of, we're only too happy to do so."

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,21184966%5E14793,00.html

Suitman

Post Whore
Hellsy,

That is a perfect example that there are other clubs willing to go out there and work hard in their marketing.

Suity

eels_fan

First Grade
Would be a great idea.

I know the broncos do a 4 or 5 game membership but comes with all the perks like a season membership (cap, keyring, discount at footy store and other games/finals etc).

They charge about $150 (bit steep for 4/5 games but they charge a lot more for tickets!)