What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A desire to be his own man costs the Eels another Mortimer

Pumba

First Grade
672143.jpg

A desire to be his own man costs the Eels another Mortimer
BY BEN DREWE

ROBBIE Mortimer is navigating a path paved by older brother Daniel but his desire to forge his own reputation is behind signing with Balmain Tigers for the upcoming SG Ball season.

Sixteen-year-old Robbie will travel to the Australian Institute of Sport in Canberra on Monday hoping to make it through the final stage of the selection process for a coveted rugby league scholarship.

A scholarship would expose him to some of the best junior coaches in Australia and also provide Robbie with the chance to tour England and France with the AIS squad.

Daniel held an AIS scholarship in 2007 on his way to earning selection in the Australian Schoolboys team and the youngest of the five Mortimer boys, Robbie, is keen to emulate his feats.

Second youngest Daniel also played SG Ball for Parramatta before progressing through the Eels’ under 20s team en route to becoming a vital member of Parramatta’s remarkable run to last year’s NRL grand final.

Robbie trialled for a place with the Eels’ SG Ball squad during grand final week before an opportunity with the Tigers arose.

Former Balmain player and family friend James Grant phoned Peter Mortimer with an opportunity for Robbie to trial with the Tigers and he impressed.

Robbie was offered a place in Balmain’s final squad of 25 players and he jumped at the opportunity as he preferred not to go to the Eels where he would be the younger brother of Daniel and Tim, who is also with Parramatta.

“It was funny. The grand final week I was with the Eels doing their camp ... and then dad got a phone call and Jimmy Grant said there is a trial against St Helens, which is an English side, under 19s, and they said they just wanted to chuck me into that and see how I go,” Robbie said.

“That was a week that I was just a bit one-minded, I wanted to stay with the Eels, it’s grand final week.

“I never thought I’d ever have a trial with the Tigers or anything because I just had the trial with the Eels and I didn’t go too bad in that.

“I went to this Tigers one just to have a go to see how everything’s done and they asked me to come back.

“I kind of also wanted to get away from the shadow of Daniel and Tim.

“If I was at the Eels I would probably be related to them a bit if you know what I mean, whereas at the Tigers I’m my own person and, to be honest, half of the people down there don’t know I’m Daniel’s brother or Peter’s son, so it’s good and then people treat me for who I am.”

Robbie will resume training with the Tigers following his trial for an AIS scholarship and he is being groomed as a long-term halfback option after also dabbling in playing at fullback.

The St Stanislaus’ College, Bathurst student is the only 16-year-old in the squad and could potentially play two seasons in the under 18 competition, while school mate Angus Brotherton has also been signed by the Tigers.

Central Western Daily

Vic Mackey

Referee
if he's as good as his brother ill be stoked.

daniel wasnt just a bloke who got hype from his fathers name, he was the real deal last season. sensational young player.

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
Young robbie is definitely the better of the mortimers. Daniel is only very tiny and robbie has a bit more size about him in that regard. Still only young but i'm sure he has gained a huge amount of confidence knowing his brother can make it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
good on him....I hear he's a real talent.

make sure you keep him away from the scum at Belmore...

overandout

Juniors
Young robbie is definitely the better of the mortimers. Daniel is only very tiny and robbie has a bit more size about him in that regard. Still only young but i'm sure he has gained a huge amount of confidence knowing his brother can make it.

What makes you say that??????????:?

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
What makes you say that??????????:?

Daniel himself has come out in the local bathurst paper (Robbie went to st stanilaus) after robbie played a school boy game in town and said that robbie has alot of potential and can go all of the way. Plus, if he has half of the attitude Dan has he will for sure.

I've seen Daniel runa round in the juniors out in group 10. Was a solid player but there were others ahead of him at that stage. Robbie is one of the best players, a standout, and if he can apply himself like Dan has, he is a good thing to make it bigger than Dan.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Daniel himself has come out in the local bathurst paper (Robbie went to st stanilaus) after robbie played a school boy game in town and said that robbie has alot of potential and can go all of the way. Plus, if he has half of the attitude Dan has he will for sure.

I've seen Daniel runa round in the juniors out in group 10. Was a solid player but there were others ahead of him at that stage. Robbie is one of the best players, a standout, and if he can apply himself like Dan has, he is a good thing to make it bigger than Dan.

TT there's no doubting Robbies talent but I was told one of the reasons why he isn't at Parra is because the coaching staff believed that he wasn't quite ready for Harold Mathews, now he may well turn out to be better than his brothers but it certainly isn't a claim that should be set in stone now..

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
TT there's no doubting Robbies talent but I was told one of the reasons why he isn't at Parra is because the coaching staff believed that he wasn't quite ready for Harold Mathews, now he may well turn out to be better than his brothers but it certainly isn't a claim that should be set in stone now..

Doesn't matter, the roosters let go of some of there juniors because they wanted big willie, i assume they wouldn't have let go of anyone they thought had promise. Blake Ayshford was one of those juniors and he's doing pretty good out of it.

Players get picked, sometimes they don't. He's got an opportunity with Balmain, he is only 16! He'll take his time, but will play against he's brother one day!

overandout

Juniors

How can you say that when he never made any rep teams since u12s school footy?There are kids in group 10 who run rings around Rob in the 5/8 position and fullback?I'm not begrudging Rob of anything he is a lovely kid and I hope he does everything that you expect him to,but to say he is a standout and better than his brothers is a bit wide of the mark in my opinion.I'm not trying to argue but at this stage I think it is a bit unfair on Rob himself to place that type of hype on him because it will be hard for him to carry his surname let alone the standout tag!:?

overandout

Juniors
As I said mate I hope Rob can live up to the wraps you have on him but I still think you are way ahead of yourself.:crazy:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Another players with some good genes to look out for is Jethro Friend.
He is the son of former Norths/Kiwi Halfback Clayton Friend and a cuz of Bronson Harrison - heard he is training with Tigers or Raiders.
He carved up in auckland juniors - player of the years across 18's comp, auckland reps and NZ maori 18's.
Think he is predominatly a hooker.
Played against/with plenty of players with NYc experience/contracts and out shone many - should walk into a sg ball side.

Last edited:

Bench
Wish the kid all the best,I run into the whole Mortimer clan with Chris Anderson at Tuncurry at christmas,Daniel is a real nice bloke,signed an autograph for my daughter no worries,didn't get to speak to Rob or any of his brothers.
Seen them around quite a few times,no big noting or show boating from any of them,and we were in a pub when he signed my daughters card.
Peter and his wife look to have done a fine job with the 5 boys.

Latest posts