What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Film Featuring the Jets?

Anyone see this item in this weekend's SMH?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/film/in-a-league-of-his-own/2006/05/13/1146940771264.html

Matthew's in a league of his own: now he's a movie star

HAVING conquered television, former rugby league player Matthew Johns is set to make his debut on the big screen.

The man now better known as his comical alter ego Reg Reagan will star in an independent Australian film, The Last Winter, which will begin shooting in August.

A star on Channel Nine's Footy Show and match telecasts, with a book, CD and hit single under his belt, the former NSW and Australian player is finalising negotiations for his film debut as league coach Jack Cooper.

Set in 1987 and focused on the Newtown Jets rugby league club, the film will examine how changing codes of ethics and professionalism overhauled Australian sport.

"It's a big challenge and a great opportunity," he said. "I might be as wooden as anything but I'm willing to give it a real crack. I want to continue to expand my career.

"When Channel Nine first approached me to appear on TV, I didn't want to do it and was really nervous, but I love it now.

This is about taking it to the next level and testing myself further."
Johns, 34, said he was inspired by Paul Hogan, who made his name on Australian television before making it big in Hollywood.

"Hoges is a good example of what can happen - if you're a knockabout bloke and you have a go at these things you never know how far they can go," he said.

Writer Matt Nable said the movie would appeal to everyone, not just sport fans. The plot revolves around Johns's relationship with one of his players, Mick "Grub" Henderson, who is being rubbed out of the game.

"It's about a man being stripped of his identity, of his livelihood," Nable said. "His whole life is being turned around and he doesn't know how to deal with it."

Johns said it was "a story that everyone can relate to - how we deal with big changes and challenges in our lives. I felt a strong affiliation with the characters almost instantly".

Nable approached Johns 12 months ago because "what Matt brings to the table is invaluable".

"He has already shown what a television talent he is and there is no reason to think that won't transfer to the big screen. His popularity has transcended rugby league and we feel the movie will do the same.

"What I find hard to believe is that something so emotive as sport is in Australian society doesn't get covered by filmmakers in this country. The last significant film was Phar Lap and that was 25 years ago."

Nable said Jane Forrest, who worked on The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, Two Hands, Ghost Rider and Little Fish, would direct the film. And he confirmed he was searching for a leading Australian actor to play a support role.

The film is set for a March release next year.

Anyone know any more about this?

Jeffles

Bench
If I did I will tell you. Better get the tweed cap and magnifying glass out so that I can do some investigations.

'87 is a rather poor choice of year on their part if they're using the Jets as a backdrop, no?

But hey, it's movieland - feck historical accuracy. Also, the names seem a bit ominous - as per a script written by someone who may have seen (one) league match on TV or something.

Just my 2 RMB here, though.

2 True Blues

Coach
The Dawson Twins Minus 1 said:
'87 is a rather poor choice of year on their part if they're using the Jets as a backdrop, no?

But hey, it's movieland - feck historical accuracy. Also, the names seem a bit ominous - as per a script written by someone who may have seen (one) league match on TV or something.

Just my 2 RMB here, though.

That's no doubt why they chose that year Dawson. As it will enable them to have ficticious characters taking part ETC, whereas if they had have picked another earlier year it would conflict with the real players that in fact played for the jets that particular season in real life. More jets publicity ( If not baggin the Bags ) can only be a good thing though I suppose.

bluebayou

Juniors
newtown should get as much money and exposure as possible out of this. We already live off the smell of an oily rag, and this might be our big chance for huge publicity and merchandise sales. Also, must beat Souths at Henson on Saturday by 40 or so to catch up to parras for and against. Go the Jets!!!!!

2 True Blues

Coach
Then the big game against Parra the following week mate. Would put us in good stead for sure.

Souths have often been our bogey side though, although in game one this year when they beat us we played very ordinary and were a different team.( I was at the away game and our handling errors and penalty count was atrocious ). Souths are coming off a good win last week but after checking the Panthers forum apparently the Cougars spoiled several trys that should have been scored so like our first game against them this year, the final score line may not be a fair indication.

Hope the crowd is good, are you going to the game mate ???

2 True Blues

Coach

TheRefPlaysForParramatta said:
they could always get Gus Gould to play coach

Was although working, at the Green and Mundine fight last night. Don't know if it was coincidental timing but when they showed Gus's head on the big screen there was a chorus of boo's from the stadium. LOL.......

On another note the NSW Blues State of origin side were at the game as a team as well. They walked past me at the front gates. Maybe as a team building strategy.

Definately earned my money that night in the after fight pissed Im a Rocky episodes. LMAO......

Kamala

Juniors
just to let you know, the guy who wrote the script for the movie has a much more vast and intricate knowledge of rugby league than any of us on this forum. he actually played a few first grade games for manly and souths and the london broncos. matt nable actually played a few games for newtown whilst he was at souths! he was also a trainer for the roosters and for manly.

2 True Blues

Coach
Sorry mate. Dont mean to take this piss. But how could he play a couple of games for Newtown whilst he was at Souths. If he played half a season for Newtown to pay off a Souths back stabbing debt owed to us then went and played the last half of the season against us I could believe it though !!!! :lol: ;-) :clap: #-o ](*,)

Kamala

Juniors
2 true blues

like many other players he played metro cup for newtown while coming back from injury when he was at souths.

my point being its not some artst fartsy bloke who has not seen one game. regarded as the best bluer when at souths and manly. he came second in nsw heavyweight boxing state titles a few years agowhile in his thirties. was a huge fan of his at souths and should have gone further but for a lack of real size. his brother is actually adam nable who played a few years of first grade for the tigers in the late nineties.

I stand corrected.

Nevertheless, as per the quote from the paper:

"The plot revolves around Johns's relationship with one of his players, Mick "Grub" Henderson, who is being rubbed out of the game."

It sure sounded ominous to me in isolation. I was worried it might be some sort of Balmain cafe-derived "let's see if there's a quid in doing a story about those thuggish league chappies, eh what? Aren't they all called 'Killer', 'Grub' and suchlike?"

Naturally, I shall refrain from further comment till I've seen the finished product, but here's hoping it reflects well on the 'Bags.

With any luck, Mr. Nable absorbed some of the very positive Royal Blue ethos in his time with the club and is able to get it across on the screen.

Regards,
TDT-1

Jeffles

Bench
Don't worry about seeing the final product, you could be in it too!!!!

------

Would you like to be a Film Extra?

‘The Last Winter’, an Australian feature film about your team, The Newtown Jets, will be filming at Henson Park.

We need the help of lots of volunteer Extras For Football match crowd scenes being filmed on the following dates:

Monday 18th to Friday 22nd September
Tuesday 26th September 2006

Filming will take place during daylight hours
You can help by being involved for just one of the days or as many of the days as you like

If you’re interested please register by calling the Production office on 9561 0001, fax: 9561 0011 or by emailing our Extras Coordinator, Dex Tallo, at dextras@tpg.com.au

Please provide your: Name, Age, Mobile/Home/Work phone numbers and email address and tell us which of the days you might like to come along.

We need all ages and types so don’t feel you’re too young or too old! It is unpaid but you’ll get to see how a movie is made, have some fun & a sausage sizzle for your time….