What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League '11/12 :: Round 19

Jobdog

Live Update Team
We've already got the W-League team (undefeated champions thank you very much), it would make plenty of sense for then to have a complimentary team in the mens competition.
Sorry skeepe, I don't think so.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think the ACT struggles to strongly support League, Union and W-League.

Given the general weakness of A-League in comparison to the first two in particular, can Canberra sustain a club that won't have the same embarrassment in terms of crowds and support as GCU?

Another good win for the roar. Two weeks in a row away to the teams coming first and 2nd at the time.

Too early to say they are back?

I don't think we ever went away to be honest. we had some losses, but this season was never gonna be as smooth as last season. we are easily the most technical side and the most well organised side, as well as having the best player and best finisher in the league.

I'm looking forward to the champions league, good to see us hitting form only weeks away from our opener!

skeepe

Immortal
I think the ACT struggles to strongly support League, Union and W-League.

Given the general weakness of A-League in comparison to the first two in particular, can Canberra sustain a club that won't have the same embarrassment in terms of crowds and support as GCU?

I think the support is there. From memory, the junior numbers for soccer in Canberra absolutely blow every other sport out of the water. I know that doesn't always translate into success, but it's a good start.

The corporate support is there, and a crowd of over 20,000 to see a distinctly A-League Socceroos team is another good indicator.

But the biggest thing I think is that Canberrans don't have a team to support once the NRL season ends. Canberrans love sport, and I think it would be well within the realms of possibility to see an average crowd of between 9-10,000.

But even ignoring my Canberra agenda, I don't think it can be denied that Gold Coast United are an absolute embarrassment to the game. Surely there's a region somewhere that could do a lot better. I think that should be Canberra after we had the best bid last time and were still dudded, but there are other areas around the country that could also do it a lot better than GCU.

roboshark

Coach
I'd be happy enough with Canberra in but I think the fury need to be back first. Then maybe tassie or canberra

Mong

Post Whore
I don't think we ever went away to be honest. we had some losses, but this season was never gonna be as smooth as last season. we are easily the most technical side and the most well organised side, as well as having the best player and best finisher in the league.

I'm looking forward to the champions league, good to see us hitting form only weeks away from our opener!

I guess a bit of a dip in form was to be expected once the run ended. Although as you say it wasn't much of a dip skill wise, thing just didn't quite go to plan or passes to foot as easily along with a lack of luck at the
same time that every team gets.

I am hoping the champions league schedule will fit in with my Uni schedule but it seems doubtful unfortunately.