What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A League crowds ......how to fix them

Sparky 74

Juniors
With all the gloss gone on the A league with the crowd numbers down,
I would like the FFA to do the following.

Give away free entry to kids under 16 ,

Drop the price of tickets at least by 1/2

So at least 1 game on free to air TV

Have free to air TV promote the sport on their sport section in their daily news.

Marquee Players, Every team should have a big name on their books.

Team player gear to be cut in price at least by 1/2

Promote big games via all media:cool:

Mong

Post Whore
Pretty sure the last Roar game kids were admitted free with adults..

Not many took up the offer

nibbs

Bench
Why have a game where all Italian passport holders get in free.
Another where all Croatian and Serbians passport holders get in free. Put them all down the same end of the ground btw

Mong

Post Whore
Other codes season ticket holder day perhaps? Altough they would want to aim it at a game that has a chance of being any good.. I took a mate of mine who is an AFL member to the Roar v Mariners game..

I apologised about half way through the 2nd half for bringing him to such a crap example of the sport.. Fortunately he had spent some time in Scotland watching Hearts so he had experienced crap football before.

westie

Bench
Hang on. Haven't I been bringing this up for a few years?

Despite being told otherwise, it's clearly because the football is sh*t and anytime we get a good player he f**ks off. Never a chance to develop any heros. Most attendees wouldn't even know half the players in a side.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Problem is the TV deal doesn't encourage crowds at all.

Every game is broadcast live and played at strange times only for the benefit of Fox.

Once Dead

Bench
Problem is the TV deal doesn't encourage crowds at all.

Every game is broadcast live and played at strange times only for the benefit of Fox.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I am an A-League nut and follow love watching every game I can because we have Fox. However I have NEVER been to a game because I follow Perth as Sydney FC have been boring since Version 2 and I wouldn't shell out to watch them and some of their unimpressive performances. Granted, Perth are very much the same, however I love the underdog tag that they come with.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Hang on. Haven't I been bringing this up for a few years?

Despite being told otherwise, it's clearly because the football is sh*t and anytime we get a good player he f**ks off. Never a chance to develop any heros. Most attendees wouldn't even know half the players in a side.

I assume your suggestion is that if the standard isn't good enough immediately, the A-League should just fold and we should have no league. Then, in about twenty years when there's no pathway from junior football to Europe and being a Socceroo, we'll be ranked alongside such powerhouses as New Zealand.

Sounds awesome. Count me in.

Parraboi1

Juniors
With all the gloss gone on the A league with the crowd numbers down,
I would like the FFA to do the following.

Give away free entry to kids under 16 , agree

Drop the price of tickets at least by 1/2 all clubs no, GC United bloody oath

So at least 1 game on free to air TV being worked on, cant do anything to the current deal runs out - agree

Have free to air TV promote the sport on their sport section in their daily news. only way this will happen is if clubs/ the FFA pay for it or fta get the rights

Marquee Players, Every team should have a big name on their books. some clubs seem to be run by idiots who dislike marquee's/ don't want to spend the money

Team player gear to be cut in price at least by 1/2 cutting prices on supporters gear won't do much if nobody knows what it is

Promote big games via all media:cool: Clubs should be doing this in there area, once again some of the people in charge must be plain stupid or cbf spending the money

Misanthrope

Staff member
Children should most definitely allowed in for free, although I'd suggest lowering the 'cap to Under 12 rather than under sixteen.

Prices at places like Brisbane, Gold Coast, and Newcastle - where they struggle to bring in crowds, need to keep prices low until they build a fanbase. If drug-dealers can work out a way to 'hook' someone and then jack up the price, I'm sure professionals can manage it.

I don't think every club needs a marquee, but I think certain areas definitely respond well to them. Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane really need to be drawing on them. For whatever reason, they're areas that seem to respond better to a star. In Gold Coast's case, it's the only way to really capture Joe Public's eye and, despite his immense talent, Culina's just not a big enough draw. They need a Fowler or Yorke or Viduka - someone that everybody knows. Not just football fans.

Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane obviously have more of a footballing culture ingrained, but they're also big markets with big stadiums - so bringing in more casual fans is a must. Sides like Newcastle, Perth, and Central Coast just don't seem so reliant on that - Perth because it's a footballing city hindered by years of poor performance, and the other two because they're more working class areas that will better associate with a team of battlers rather than one superstar.

fish eel

Immortal
It's no coincidence that two of the worst clubs crowd wise have the highest tickets.

It's not all doom and gloom though.

For a start though, the FFA should NEVER play those dumb games on Thursdays that they do occasionally.

As for Marquee players, my understanding is the FFA need to sign off on Marquees.

They should toughen up that stance.

Fabio Vignaroli is NOT a marquee. Robbie Fowler IS.

I always thought the marquee concept was someone that wouldnt just deliver on the field, but could be used of field for PR purposes. Basically a name that excites people on the field and is media friendly and gets interest off it. That's why Dwight Yorke was such a good Marque

Misanthrope

Staff member
I do think, financial crisis aside, the salary cap could be raised. It's clear that clubs are having difficulty retaining and recruiting. The fact guys like Fabio are marquees is more an issue with the salary cap than with the marquee concept.

Engine

Juniors
Why have a game where all Italian passport holders get in free.
Another where all Croatian and Serbians passport holders get in free. Put them all down the same end of the ground btw

Relive the old NSL days..lol.

Latest posts