What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League Imports

Tommy Smith

Referee
First up, let me say that i havent watched too much fo the new A-league so far. However i did watch a fair bit of tonights match between the Roar and Sydney and one import caught my eye (no, not Dwight)

It was some sh*t Korean bloke playing for the Roar. He must be one of the worst players ive ever seen at the proffesional level. That first goal to Sydney where he tried some sort of Zidane trick which gave possession away in his own box was farcical. Like a baby trying to walk.

Anyway, my point is that i hope the A-league clubs dont bring in imports just for the sake of having imports. Ive absoluetly no doubt whatsoever that there are plenty of talented local youngsters around who could be taking the Korean blokes spot.

This league will only succeed in the long term if the young players coming through stay in Australia instead of going on to play in sh*tty European leagues (Swiss, Norwegian, Austrian, Belgian lague).

Is there a cap on the number of exports allowed? If not, there should be. By all means bring in blokes like Dwight Yorke who does huge amounts for the A-leagues profile, but lets not waste valuable roster spots on blokes from overseas who can barely walk with a footy let alone do something with it!

Iafeta

Referee
Tommy Smith said:
First up, let me say that i havent watched too much fo the new A-league so far. However i did watch a fair bit of tonights match between the Roar and Sydney and one import caught my eye (no, not Dwight)

It was some sh*t Korean bloke playing for the Roar. He must be one of the worst players ive ever seen at the proffesional level. That first goal to Sydney where he tried some sort of Zidane trick which gave possession away in his own box was farcical. Like a baby trying to walk.

Anyway, my point is that i hope the A-league clubs dont bring in imports just for the sake of having imports. Ive absoluetly no doubt whatsoever that there are plenty of talented local youngsters around who could be taking the Korean blokes spot.

This league will only succeed in the long term if the young players coming through stay in Australia instead of going on to play in sh*tty European leagues (Swiss, Norwegian, Austrian, Belgian lague).

Is there a cap on the number of exports allowed? If not, there should be. By all means bring in blokes like Dwight Yorke who does huge amounts for the A-leagues profile, but lets not waste valuable roster spots on blokes from overseas who can barely walk with a footy let alone do something with it!

It could be coincidental, but if he's the same Korean player (Shin???) that stuffed up against the Knights he's the worst player to ever player grade footy.

In that game, he had a cross delivered to him, goal keeper nowhere, from about 1.5 metres out the ball bounced up to his lap, he just had to poke it, he tried to chest it and missed.

From a Knights perspective, some of the imports have been our best players - namely Simon Yeo. A couple though, particularly Ben Collett came with big reputations and have delivered diddly squat.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Iafeta said:
It could be coincidental, but if he's the same Korean player (Shin???) that stuffed up against the Knights he's the worst player to ever player grade footy.

In that game, he had a cross delivered to him, goal keeper nowhere, from about 1.5 metres out the ball bounced up to his lap, he just had to poke it, he tried to chest it and missed.

From a Knights perspective, some of the imports have been our best players - namely Simon Yeo. A couple though, particularly Ben Collett came with big reputations and have delivered diddly squat.
LOL I remember that. What was he trying to do?? All he had to do was tap it in but as you said he inexplicably dropped to his knees and tried to chest it in.:lol: Btw, it was .5 metres not 1.5 metres.

But im talking about a different Korean player...who are obviously bringing lots of quality to the A-league.

perth sharkie

Juniors
We've got a Japanese import, Ishida. He is awesome and on the marketing side of things attracts Japanese people (mainly students) to Glory matches. You always see small groups of them with digital cameras and one person carrying the Japanese flag.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Adelaide have got that Brazilian guy who signed yesterday. Will be interesting to see how he goes, he seems pretty good on paper.

weasel

First Grade
I never thought I'd see the day kiwis, let alone you two, not considering an australian playing in nz an import. What's become of your parochial new zealand pride? Blasphemy!

bender

Juniors
Iafeta said:

Shin is a different player, who has now retired due to injury. I must say that his effort in that first game was extremely poor, but it is a bit hard to judge someone on one, game, maybe he just had a shocker.

Seo, the korean central midfielder for roar has been playing a lot better than he did against Sydney and is definitely not the worst player in the A league (far from it). I think he is pretty good for the Roar, because he brings the ball down and distributes well to the pacy Roar midfield. Roar's problems are that they dont have an out and out striker for Alex Brosque to feed.

If transfers are allowed in the A League, the out of form (and favour) David Zdrillic from Sydney FC would look very, very good in a roar jersey. I think he would be a sensation. Other than that, with Shin gone, it would be great to get an experienced striker. It would be good if Teddy Sheringham was still being talked about as an option.

fish eel

Immortal
chriswalkerbush said:
Adelaide have got that Brazilian guy who signed yesterday. Will be interesting to see how he goes, he seems pretty good on paper.

Fernando Rech.
He used to be quite dominant in the old NSL.
Think he might be getting on a bit now though.

perth sharkie

Juniors
Adelaide have also got a Chinese player who scored against the Glory last week with a well taken goal, Qu (or something like that?).

fish eel

Immortal
perth sharkie said:
Adelaide have also got a Chinese player who scored against the Glory last week with a well taken goal, Qu (or something like that?).

yeah...I think he has been capped 30 odd times by china

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Brian Deane is the biggest waste of space in the history of the game.

Dreadful first touch, slow as a donkey and generally offers ZERO impact.

Tommy Smith

Referee
hybrid_tiger said:

What did you expect from an ex-Sheffield United player?

(Hides the fact that they are top of the English Championship having won 9 out of 10 games).

TheJester

Juniors
I think the Queensland Player your talking about is Hyuk Su Seo he was good against Melbourne the week before but really shouldn't have tried to make that move infront of goal

perth sharkie

Juniors
hybrid_tiger said:

He's not that bad, opposition defenders are scared sh*tless of him and he usually has 2-4 players marking him, which frees up space for the others.

Schillaci

Juniors
Hyuk-Su Seo was the QLD player that gifted Corica the first goal.

QLD's other Asian player Tae-Yong Shin (the one who tried to chest the ball into the goal in the first round) retired last week due to a reoccuring injury. Ironically, as far as this thread goes young Socceroo Spase Dilevski has been brought into the permanent QLD roster as a replacement. He played against Sydney last Friday night. Had a reasonable game I thought.

Latest posts