What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A night of discontent...

Well, after spending a night frantically receiving score updates via the mobile phone, i must say that i am dissapointed with the final score from last nights game. I am still filthy that i was unable to watch it or even better, be at the ground (would u believe i spent the night in a resauraunt at parramatta!).....
I missed the replay this morning so i will have to wait until monday to see the game. I have only seen snippets of the game on the news, but apparently that Donald try late in the game was 'dubious'...Exactly how dubious was it? Id hate to think that such a big game would come down to a dubious refs call, but i won't really comment because i haven't seen it yet...
Apart from that, the atmosphere looked amazing, it looked like a return to the old days of tribal footy and even got a front page story on the telecrap this morning....Im still hopeful that come September, the eel will contract the choke disease (commonly found in roosters) and the dogs will tough it out, much like they have done in the past.....
Bring on the semis!
MFC.

H

Hass

Do not believe the Telegraph. It also says that the "bounce of the ball went Parramatta's way". Time after time the ball bounced severely after a Parra kick letting the dogs off the hook. The try by Braith Anasta ricocheted off about 5 or 6 different people. But the Telegraph reports it how they want to.

I mean, what kind of a headline is "Runaway Eels"? It was the closest bloody match we've had in yonks. But onto Donald's try. It was hard to tell if Patten or Donald got it down first. Originally I thought Patten had got there, but on the replay it looked simultaneous- the rule is that if it's simultaneous then it's a try.

P.S. I also love how people say "a lopsided penalty count in the second half". The penalty count for that half was 4-1 in favour of the Eels. To have a 7-6 penalty count overall it meant the first half was 5-3 in favour of the dogs. What more do I expect from the paper that employs "that gutless son of a whore".

Cheers.

El Duque

Bench
You make some excellent ponts Hass but I say the Traitorgraph go by the policy of never letting the truth get in the way of a good story.
sporttry.jpg

Looks like Scotty Donald won the race to me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah I saw the try on TV. Even without the pic, it looked OK to me.
There were a number of dodgy decisions (both ways) but I don't think this was one of them.
It was a bloody good match and both teams looked to be getting the upper hand at different times.
IMO, the scoreline was pretty close indicator.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fair enough Dog. There was a late try which flattered the Eels slightly.

O

ozbash

hey, el duge
where did you find that picture. i think its very good and much better than the tv frame by frame...

Dog

Juniors
Despite last night's events, I am prepared to say this [and I will do a favour (over the net - no money transactions or anything like that) to the four managers and newly crowned assitant manager if this doesn't happen]

GRAND FINAL 2001:

Newcastlev Bulldogs

at least it will be competitive if the Knights are there.

Now...

Why Parra won't win it if they get there:

Quite simple really. Their lack of Grand Final experience will dent their confidence. You might have noticed no player in the side has starred in a GF (correct me if I'm wrong) - whilst a fair few of the Bulldogs know what it's like, as do most of the Knights and Broncos.

Quite simply Parra, you'll choke.

Dog

Dog

Juniors
But I do reserve the right to refuse it if it is too stupid or not to my liking...
emsmile.gif

Dog

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What sort of dare is that? You've just about cancelled everything out. LOL.

Dog

Juniors
Haha,
how's about if that doesn't happen that you and your other three mates put an IOU in the "dog" column?

Dog

Bryce

Juniors
You are right about one thing, Dog. No Parra player has grand final experience.

Did that worry Brisbane in 1992? No.

Did that worry Newcastle in 1997? No.

Did that worry Melbourne in 1999? No.

And learn the meaning of the word 'choke'. One might say that Canterbury did it last night!

L

legend

MFC, the dogs played a great game and don't anyone think there was'nt a psychological blow landed by Parra last night. Whoever won the game would have the upper hand leading into the semis and I expect the two sides to meet on the big one. Newcastle showed they are the ultimate onr man band by capitulating to the Tigers in a great game of footy and will be at long odds to knock over the Dragons next week. Should they fail they may finish as low as fifth but will probably finish fourth after tonights loss. Having said that, who would want to face the Warriors in the semis. If results go their way they could finish sixth. If Saints lose tomorrow and the Warriors beat the Roosters next week they will finish sixthe and possibly face the Bulldogs at home which would be a great result for the Warriors.

BlueAnGold

Juniors
your 100% spot on there legend. it was a huge psychological blow landed by Parra. not simply because they beat em but because ofthe way they beat them.

they chose to beat the dogs at the dogs own game, they outdogged them. they changed their style of playto prove a point. they wanted to show that they could muscle up, that they could handle the dogs at the advantage line, that they could outlast them in an arm wrestle of attrition and that they couldn't be intimidated by their defence. parra can play an open expansive game but they really wanted to show the dogs they could also play their way as well and still get the better of them. they really wanted them to know that.

don't underestimate the impact of that, it is a great psychological blow to prove to the opposition that you can beat them at their own game if you choose to orelse use a different stylethey can't match if you want to. limits their options when devising strategies. it was deliberate and a big gamble by smith butit really paid off. i think now that they have proven that you will see them play a different style whennext they meet.personally I cantwait.

as for your predictions dog, well that was as good as your last one about the dogs snaring the minor premiership, more wishfull thinking than insightfull prediction there my lad
emwink.gif
at least you may be able to hold onto this one a little longer than the week the other one lasted

*so this is where you guys have been hiding*
Not only was this one of the very best games I've seen for a long time, but it was quite possibly the game of the season so far. It was a great representation of The Greatest Game Of All at it's very finest, and both teams and supporters should be proud for their involvements on making it such a successful and entertaining night. If this game (the quality of the game - not the outcome)is any indication of what's to come in the Semis and Finals series, then I can hardly wait for it to roll around.
From a personal persepective, I thought the refereeing left a lot to be desired .... but I guess I'm being a bit biased with that comment.
Congratulations to the Eels on their victory, but more importantly, thanks to both sides for a superb display of Rugby League.
The Doggies made their supporters proud, and will be back.

Latest posts