What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Panther for life

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Found this... Not sure if you guys are aware.
------------------------------------------------------------

A Panther for life

By JAMES HOOPER

March 5, 2005

A MEETING with some of his closest friends at the Peach Tree Hotel in Penrith was the catalyst for Kangaroo halfback Craig Gower agreeing to remain with the Panthers for life.

Over a couple of quiet schooners the Colyton junior opted to show loyalty to the club who signed him up for super stardom at the tender age of just 16.

Gower's signature is expected to be delivered on the new contract on Monday week when his manager Greg Willett returns from a week-long holiday in Hawaii.

Panthers general manager Mick Leary revealed there were only a couple of minor sticking points to be resolved before the formalities would be finalised.

"When these matters are resolved we will be very happy to announce the jewel is in the crown," Leary said.

"From our latest negotiations we're confident of having Craig's signature when his manager returns from overseas.

"He's going to be a Panther for life and we're ecstatic to have him.

"There aren't too many players with his toughness and leadership qualities.

"The fact he has chosen to stay loyal really shows you what type of person Craig Gower really is."

Gower went in to Panthers headquarters in Coombes Drive yesterday to meet with Leary, where the pair verbally agreed on the future of the NSW Origin star.

At the same time the pair had a telephone hook-up with Gower's manager Willett, who was attending a separate meeting at the five-star Zigolinnis restaurant in Woollahra.

While the lengthy deal ranks as one of the NRL's most lucrative in the post-Super League era, Gower has turned his back on an even bigger pay day in the UK.

"The England offer wasn't really that tempting, when it got down to the nitty gritty. I'm a Penrith product born and bred and I just didn't want to leave," Gower said.

"Coming from the area it's just the ideal thing, I feel very privileged to be able to do it.

"Not that many players get the opportunity to stay at the one club.

"All my family and friends live out here and they are such a big part of my life.

"I'm very relieved to have it all sorted out before the season starts, I didn't want to be trying to focus on playing with my future in the back of my mind."

The Panthers hope to seal further contracts with Kiwi Test back-rower Tony Puletua and Dally M Medal winner Preston Campbell in the coming weeks.

Leary said he had offered Campbell a one-year deal for 2006 should he wish to explore the possibility of playing for the Gold Coast if they are admitted to the NRL in 2007.

Alternatively, the Panthers general manager is prepared to offer Campbell a three-year deal to look at finishing his career with the club.

"We would love to have Preston and Tony here for the rest of their careers as well," Leary said.