What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Question

IanG

Coach
Just wondering if anyone can tell me does the English Super League have the Golden Poin rule or is it just us Aussies?

IanG

Coach
Thanx BTW What is the Salary Cap Over there? Cuz it seems players from the NRL Here who can't gen a start here go over there. That plus don't they have restrictions on the number of imports?

GB Lion

Juniors
In SL there is no Golden Point, if the scores are level its a draw.

The Salary Cap is 1.8m.

the Overseas quota is a maximum of 5 for each team, but next year i think it will be changed to 4 or 3 a team.

But many teams take advantage of the Kolpak Ruling, Five Year Residency, European Passport. I think the Government had something to do with the Kolpak Ruling.

Gaz_the_bull

Juniors
IanG said:
Thanx BTW What is the Salary Cap Over there? Cuz it seems players from the NRL Here who can't gen a start here go over there. That plus don't they have restrictions on the number of imports?

The salary cap over here is £1.8 million but i'm not sure how much that would be in Australian dollars, and clubs are allowed four overseas players but due to players having EU passports and the Kolpak rule most teams have more than four.

bartman

Immortal
Rough translation between UK pounds and Aus dollars is:
1 pound = 2.5 dollars. (or 1 dollar equals 40p)

Sure, it changes day by day, but that'll get you close.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, but it's not that simple. Cost of living is generally higher over here... things like food, vegetables, petrol, clothes etc all cost more than they should in the equivalent Australian dollars.

terracesider

Juniors
parra_panther said:
So about $4.5 million... geez, maybe the Roosters should defect to the ESL... :shock: :p :lol: ;-) :|

PMSL. :lol:

The salary cap is actually a limit of 50% of income to be spent on player salaries up to a maximum of GBP1.8m. Then there is the 20-20 rule which means that no more than 20 palyers can be paid £20,000 or more.

fourplay

Juniors
What is the Kolpak Ruling ?

I'm an Australian with an English Passport that played SG Ball in aus this year and would love to play in ESL in the near future..I'm planning on moving to England in a couple years and having a go..I wouldn't count on the import ruling right ?

Heh and on a side note I am a ball playing backrower..which team is the weakest that someone like me would have the best chance of breaking into? In terms of weakest backrow/bench/up and comers ? I don't follow ESL to much but am starting to and it would just be interesting to get a fair idea!

Evil Homer

Staff member
You wouldnt count on the quota then.Best going to a NL club first and getting promoted with them.

Evil Homer

Staff member
NL is Division 1 and 2,its called National League.

Kolpak is a european court case about people from certain countries(like Samoa) not being allowed on quota due to employment laws.

bartman

Immortal
Fourplay, I researched and posted this on another thread this week:

The "Kolpak ruling" (in a european court case) seems to exempt Samoan born players (and some others) from this overseas player quota, owing to European employment law? This is explained below...

http://www.odeauk.fsnet.co.uk/news.htm wrote:
Kolpak was a handball player in the German League but was released because of a quota on non EU players in the league. He took the matter to the European Court of Justice and won. The court found that once a non EU national had obtained a work permit to ply his trade he could not be restricted by quotas in any way. The Kolpak ruling means that workers from around 100 countries with trade agreements with the EU are now protected by European employment law. These countries include South Africa, Zimbabwe, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago. Leading Sports lawyer Stephen Hornsby told the Sunday herald newspaper " The implications are particularly important for rugby league and cricket, because we are talking about players from the likes of S Africa, the South Seas and the Caribbean. There is nothing stopping a club employing as many South Sea islanders as they want providing they have work permits.." The situation is further complicated by changes to rules governing working holiday maker visas. Previously they couldn't participate in professional sport but now that block has been removed.

English passport means you're sweet. Good luck!

terracesider

Juniors
I think only Leeds, Bradford, Wigan and St Helens and maybe Hull are spending the maximum allowed unbder the cap.

On IanG's original question - how popular is the Golden Point with the fans?

fourplay

Juniors
Haha thx fellas... if i make it mayb in a couple years ill revive this thread and say thx again :p

terracesider if your talking bout in Aus we lov golden point.. every game that goes to golden point has us on the edge of our seat..draws end games with a boring null feeling and golden point is the most exciting football possible.. every tackle/every hit up is crucial ! It's only the players and coaches that complain coz they might have to play an extra 10 minutes or so heh.

OO almost forgoet think ESL is on fox now bye

Jiffy

Juniors
fourplay said:
What is the Kolpak Ruling ?

I'm an Australian with an English Passport that played SG Ball in aus this year and would love to play in ESL in the near future..I'm planning on moving to England in a couple years and having a go..I wouldn't count on the import ruling right ?

Heh and on a side note I am a ball playing backrower..which team is the weakest that someone like me would have the best chance of breaking into? In terms of weakest backrow/bench/up and comers ? I don't follow ESL to much but am starting to and it would just be interesting to get a fair idea!

In England there are four divisions....Super League, National League 1, National League 2 and National League 3. You would be best sending your CV with details of your SG Ball career to some of the National League 2 or 3 clubs when you get here. It would be semi professional but if you have a British passport you could get a part time job in something else as well. Then theoretically if you play well you will get signed up by a NL 1 club or maybe SL in time